Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Broken wing stays
scutter

posted on 25/2/06 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Broken wing stays

Well I've offically joined the club, broke the wing stay today (indicated in red) and like others I'm looking for a way to improve the design?

I think to first error was using 3.2mm flat strip for the piece over the wheel and secondly having to run them 55mm off the upright to clear the focus wheels offset.

Do you think I could get away with replacing the strip with a 6mm piece or will this move problems elsewhere?

Also will a piece of the same size flat strip assist the stability(drawn in blue)

Many thanks Dan.
[img][/img]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
raccoonradar

posted on 25/2/06 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
after breaking 3 in 2days i removed mine & bent a same bit of metal and welded under the original length, now they don't even move, before they would wobble every Bump or bit of gravel
JoelP

posted on 25/2/06 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
id skip the blue idea myself. It breaks at the red line usually (mine did) due to the change in section (stress point) and the edge of the heat affected zone around the weld. Only idea that occur to me (not tried them as i never bothered fixing mine!) is weld a small arc shaped piece of metal over the join, at 90 degrees to the flat piece. This reinforces the weak point, and spreads out the stress point.

Ideally the flat piece would be blended with the round tube smoother, maybe notched together or somesuch.

Avoneer

posted on 25/2/06 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Mine never broke.

I just used 2 lengths of flat right from the mounting plate.

Nothing to snap.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Avoneer

posted on 25/2/06 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Pic...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

rusty nuts

posted on 25/2/06 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Mine broke in about 500 miles, welded break and reinforced with another length of 3mm steel. So far they have been OK .
Alan_Thomas

posted on 25/2/06 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
An addition like that in blue would not help. They fail (mine did!) through fatigue of the guards jumping up and down.
I doubled up the 3mm flat strip from the end of the rod round the curve and half way across the guard.
Welded down each edge, dressed it with a gringer/file and it looks like 6mm strip with fully rounded edges.

Not broken since and the guard does not bounce either.
Remember it not the weld that breaks (well it shouldn't if the weld was good, its the stress concentration at the point where the bendy strip meets the rigid rod.

- Alan

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.