Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: "Minor fail" at Chadderton
vintagebuilder

posted on 1/3/06 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
"Minor fail" at Chadderton

Afternoon All,

Just arrived back home from getting my MK Indy SVA'd at Chadderton.It was a much more pleasant experience than I thought it was going to be. Neville, the tester, couldn't have been more helpful and seemed to want the car to pass.

However it failed on only one point. When asked to turn the wheels from lock to lock the flexible hoses contacted the upper wishbones. This seemed due to the length of the crimped ends of the hoses, since it was that part of the hose which was catching the wishbone.
I've got a retest next Monday so I would be grateful if anyone who has had this problem could tell me how to overcome it.

Regards

David

mookaloid

posted on 1/3/06 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
I think some people have restricted the amount of travel in the steering rack by using jubilee clips or something like that.

HTH

Mark

shortie

posted on 1/3/06 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Easy fix hopefully, exactly the same problem I had, you should be able to twist the flexi where it screws in either end and move it until when you turn the wheels it doesn't foul the upper wishbone.

Hope that makes sense!

Rich.

Sorry, should have said, well done!!!

[Edited on 1/3/06 by shortie]

jos

posted on 1/3/06 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Just echoing what shortie has said. A quarter turn of twist was all that was needed to ensure my braided hoses stayed away from touching anything on mine.

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

carlgeldard

posted on 1/3/06 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Well done mate. That will mean you should be at Ackworth next week. If you need an help before your retest just shout and I will nip over.

Carl

smart51

posted on 1/3/06 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
A very good result. well done. twisting the flexi hose can cause it to move away from the wishbone, which is what you want. I cable tied mine to the wishbone and it passed SVA. Also, and perhaps not a nice solution, you could move the point where the flexi goes though the bodywork. I'd try the other two solutions first.
Peteff

posted on 1/3/06 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
My flexy has hose round it where it is likely to touch the wing bracket and it passed.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

andyps

posted on 1/3/06 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Well done David - only a small issue to sort.

Looking forward to seeing the car.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Avoneer

posted on 1/3/06 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Well done David.

Told you it wouldn't be that bad.

See you at Ackworth soon.

Were the brakes ok after all the fun we had with them!

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevec

posted on 1/3/06 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one David, Must be a relief. Time for fun now.
Steve.

nitram38

posted on 1/3/06 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Can't you use Spiral wrap?
Some brake pipes come with this fitted or and outer rubber tube around the inner pipe.

vintagebuilder

posted on 1/3/06 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Evening All,

Thanks for all the replies. The problem with the hose is that it is not just touching the upper wishbone. On full lock the hose is being severely bent at the point where it exits the crimped end.

Regards

David

john_p_b

posted on 1/3/06 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
pop the steering rack gaiters off and fit some spacers in to limit the lock, i had the same problem and to be honest on full standard lock you'd never even use it!

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

Guinness

posted on 1/3/06 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar fail at Gosforth, hoses hit the top bones on full lock. I had a couple of mild steel bushes made up to limit the steering lock. Just unscrewed the arms off the rack and slid them on.

They've fallen off since, so if you want I could post them down to you?

A contribution towards postage and they're yours until you pass, then give 'em to the next bloke.

HTH

Mike

P.S. only use this solution if there are no tight corners between your house and the sva centre. I had to do a three point turn to get out of my back lane!

Marcus

posted on 2/3/06 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with the spacers in the rack, we just used jubilee clips. Makes 3 point turns a little awkward, but they're still on after 18 months, can't be arsed to take them off!

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.