Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: non vac dizzy
john_p_b

posted on 5/3/06 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
non vac dizzy

converting my pinto to run twin 40's in the next couple of weeks, only thing i'm lacking now is a dizzy to make it all work.

has anyone used or heard of BESTEK ignition systems? on ebay they are doing a non vac dizzy ready to go for just under a ton delivered. seems a good deal compared to burton power or others are offering. no fancy ignitors needed just standard coil although they recomend a uprated coil in the long run.

basically will this work ok or am i wasting money on one?

link to said dizzy

[Edited on 5/3/06 by john_p_b]

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

auzziejim

posted on 5/3/06 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
hi john i too am currently looking for a non vac dizzy and have seen these bestek ones but though it may well be better to buy a kit with coil and ignition module.

am i right in thinking that the cossie YB used a non vac dizzy and being basically a 205 pinto block would this not be suitable for a 2.0 pinto? there are a couple cheap on fleabay at the min.

mookaloid

posted on 5/3/06 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
Those Bestek dizzys look ok - they also seem to know what they are talking about.

They still use points which will not be as good as some sort of electronic ignition.

I use the Ignitor because it is about the cheapest and simplest way to get rid of the points - it never needs adjusting and never needs changing. It is dead easy to fit too.

Nothing wrong with points if you want to keep them though, you just have to put up with changing them and poor starting and misfires at higher revs etc etc

Cheers

Mark

stevebubs

posted on 5/3/06 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
May be worth trying speedshack...

www.speedshack.co.uk

phaeton

posted on 6/3/06 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
Go the megajolt route.
I have thought about it a long time before deciding to install it.
But I’m now very happy with it. It will cost you the same as a distributor but is working much better.

Regards Erik

keith2lp

posted on 6/3/06 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Non Vaccum

Hi

I have a bestec non vacuum distruibutor with with the electronic ignition module & coil for a pinto for sale. It is brand new in its box I only fitted it and run it once.

£125 posted.

Regards

Keith

[Edited on 7/3/06 by keith2lp]

john_p_b

posted on 6/3/06 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
keith you have u2u.

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

geoffe

posted on 6/3/06 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Non vac dizzy

Aldon Automotive (usual disclaimers) no more expensive and experiened people to talk to.
MrSandMan

posted on 6/3/06 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
To map or not to map. That is the question!!

I have the same issue. I looked at Bestek and spoke to them. Modding dizzy's is fairly straight forward so I think they are legite. Feedback suggests so.

As stated though, for the same money you can fit Megajolt with a mapable ignition. No contest for me as this will always be superior to distributor igniton curve and especially points. Bestek don't have electronic dizzy's, I asked.

I will be fitting Megajolt, when it arrives. I has to be the way to go!!

MrSandMan

posted on 6/3/06 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
I would be wary of buying a second hand dizzy of eBay unless the seller can give you an indication of the advance curve. It may just be a standard dizzy with the vacuum unit removed. Not good!!
keith2lp

posted on 7/3/06 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Non vac

HI

Bestec do have electronic ignition units and I know a number of people who use them on crossflows & pintos very succesfully.

They will match the advance curve to suit your application and provide a print out of this with the unit. They will also change the advance if you change cam etc.

Keith

[Edited on 7/3/06 by keith2lp][img]http://locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/a335473-IMGP0479_resize[1].jpg[/img]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.