Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Smoothing/ filling Mould...
stevebubs

posted on 6/3/06 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Smoothing/ filling Mould...

Grrr....finally made the last (I blooming hope) mould for my bonnet bulge.

Just 1 problem - after 8 coats of Maguirs Release Wax, the mould *still* stuck to the buck.

As a result of much acetone swilling and power file madness, I've finally managed to get the mould free of buck debris.

As a result, I now have a mould the right shape and size but with minor flaws - e.g. where powerfile dug into the gelcoat, and the acetone dissolved it a bit.

Most of this I've resolved with vigorous sanding, but still have some deepish (2mm) holes.

What would be the best method of filling these so I can take a final part?

Just use plastic primer and build it up, or can I use body filler? Surely with bodyfiller I run the risk of it cracking off the mould?

Or is there a better way?

Many thanks

Stephen

Avoneer

posted on 6/3/06 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Try just PVA for release.

Worked for me.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 6/3/06 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer
Try just PVA for release.

Worked for me.

Pat...

Yep - the first one I did have PVA and worked perfectly. However, everyone has been raving about wax so I tried that this time. *BIG* mistake.

Works fine for mould-part release, but not convinced for mould-buck release.

Think (in the future) I would recommend:

PVA for releasing mould from buck
Wax for releasing final part from mould

Still not answered my original question, though

S

k33ts

posted on 7/3/06 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
use some gel coat, clean the holes well with acetone fill with gelcoat leave for a day flat and polish.
dont use to heavy paper though 800 w/d min.
and stick to pva or if you wana stick use wax

Syd Bridge

posted on 7/3/06 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
I've only used pva twice in all my life. It gives a horrible finish to the mould, that has to be rubbed out and takes hours.

The trick with wax(and I've used Meguiars #8 all my life), is to put the wax on, THEN LEAVE IT TO DRY AT LEAST 30Mins. Polish it, and this works best with a machine for some reason. THEN LET THE POLISHED WAX HARDEN UP FOR AT LEAST TWO HOURS(4 OR MORE IN COLD WEATHER).

I've released quick mouldings directly from bare mdf moulds using just wax using the method above.

The biggest mistake people make with wax is not letting it harden before polishing, hence you put it on then rub it straight off. And the wax MUST be allowed to harden after polishing.

I lost a very expensive pattern, because the pair of youngsters I entrusted with preparing it, put ten coats of wax on, one after the other in less than two hours as I came to find out. All that was achieved was a very clean pattern, with no wax on it!

You will never find pva anywhere near me. It's evil stuff, direct from the most evil one.

Syd.

Dutchman

posted on 7/3/06 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
I use PVA all the time but I spray it like paint and it is water based quick to put it on a mould and quick to be washed away... I always paint my fiberglas parts so don't see the point of using wax

Tarzan English with foreign accent!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 7/3/06 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Syd Bridge
I've only used pva twice in all my life. It gives a horrible finish to the mould, that has to be rubbed out and takes hours.

The trick with wax(and I've used Meguiars #8 all my life), is to put the wax on, THEN LEAVE IT TO DRY AT LEAST 30Mins. Polish it, and this works best with a machine for some reason. THEN LET THE POLISHED WAX HARDEN UP FOR AT LEAST TWO HOURS(4 OR MORE IN COLD WEATHER).

I've released quick mouldings directly from bare mdf moulds using just wax using the method above.

The biggest mistake people make with wax is not letting it harden before polishing, hence you put it on then rub it straight off. And the wax MUST be allowed to harden after polishing.

I lost a very expensive pattern, because the pair of youngsters I entrusted with preparing it, put ten coats of wax on, one after the other in less than two hours as I came to find out. All that was achieved was a very clean pattern, with no wax on it!

You will never find pva anywhere near me. It's evil stuff, direct from the most evil one.

Syd.

May well be the cold weather that's done me in then, Syd.

Was leaving the coats about 25 minutes between each other, and about a 2 hours gap in the middle between coats 4 and 5.

Only about 2 hours from the last coat going on to the gelcoat being applied, though

Syd Bridge

posted on 14/3/06 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
As an add on to this discussion,
I've been waxing some patterns today. Temp in the workshop is 12c, and wax is taking near to 2 hours to dry enough to be polished. The coat I put on at 9.00am was polished at 11.30, and is still not firm enough to put another coat on now, at 3.30.

I've still got to get a coat of gel on them, then into the oven so I can lay them up tomorrow. Long day still ahead!!

Syd.

stevebubs

posted on 14/3/06 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, Syd - that'll be the source of my problem then - the garage was below 12 degrees when I was polishing....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.