Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Getting hitched abroad ??
Jon Ison

posted on 8/3/06 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Getting hitched abroad ??

Anyone any experience of this ? Whats needed, I know you need too take a woman with you but what else ?

We have been promising too marry for too long now so thought we better get on with it then swatbo suggested instead of spending a fortune on stuff over here for everyone else too eat drink ect why not go get wed in warmer climes ?

anyone any experience of this ?

nick205

posted on 8/3/06 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
no, but it sounds like a good plan to me, much better way to spend the money
Locost?

posted on 8/3/06 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Got married last July in this country and had honeymoon at Sandals Cuba where there was a lot of marriages taking place. I would say that the weather was so hot that it looked a really uncomfortable experience for the groom in particular. I would say make sure you can have the ceremony in an airconditioned room if necessary and then the photos etc. outside, otherwise make sure the ceremony is as short as possible.

Think it depends on what country you are to marry in as to what you need and if you need to 'legalise' it back over here. One good idea to make sure your extended family and friends don't feel left out is to arrange a night do either just before you go or when you return.

Also it depends on how flush you or your inlaws are as they may expect you to fork out for them to come with you. This adds to the stress, as no matter what you do someone will be offended.

I must say that it definitely is the cheaper option as weddings cost an absolute fortune. Some of the quotes you get for all the extras that you feel you should have are jaw dropping, we were quoted £2,000 for the photos alone from one photographer!!

The main thing to remeber is that it is your day and you should do what YOU and your partner want and not try to please everyone else. Still being a newlywed I can honestly say that our wedding day couldn't have been better, best day of my life (even eclipsed a run round brands hatch in a Nissan Skyline GTR driven by a race driver)

richwill

posted on 8/3/06 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
We got married while on holiday in Australia.
Booked holiday with Kuoni and they organised all details. Saved a fortune and did away with all the agro from family etc.
Just had a party when we got home.

balidey

posted on 8/3/06 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Some holiday destinations throw in a 'free' wedding if you book certain suites. Mainly in the caribean. But be warned, you will end up throwing a big party back home anyway. And when i got hitched i wanted all my friends and family there, so i wouldn't have done it abroad. But don't let that put you off doing it, its YOUR day, enjoy it whatever you do.
Jon Ison

posted on 8/3/06 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
well so far it looks like been here........

http://www.hotelview.com/cobrand/superclubs.asp?pid=3954&close=1

[Edited on 8/3/06 by Jon Ison]

RazMan

posted on 8/3/06 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
We got married in the Dominican Republic. It was a 'spur of the moment' thing although I suspect there was some planning involved from my other half

We needed to find a Judge and hire him out for the occasion (not expensive), Found two witnesses (both German) and the hotel looked after the catering, hairdresser & photographer etc.

The whole day was totally easy, laid back and informal and a RIOT - I would thoroughly recommend it!

Only problem was that no one spoke English except us and the Judge didn't speak German so translation was difficult. We were nodded at when it was our turn to say 'si' ans at the end we were given a Spanish certificate! I think it is a marriage certificate but it could be a dog license for all I know!!

DO IT!

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 8/3/06 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
im getting married in september jon, then off to the maldives for honeymoon. Abroad sounds good, its a shame to not have family and friends there but you can still throw a big party when you get back. We're keeping costs down by having a small wedding followed by a large reception!
MikeRJ

posted on 8/3/06 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
We got married in Austria last year. Had to do a bit of legwork as all legal documents such as birth certificates, registry forms etc. have to be translated to the required langauge.

It was worth it though, just us in a small chapel up in the Alps at a very friendly familly run resort http://www.hoteldorf.com/. The owner is a classic car nut and drove us to some very scenic locations for the photo's in his vintage Rolls Royce.

Had a massive pissup for familly and friends when we got back which was excellent. We even got a reminder of our wedding night in Austria in the form of our 7 month old daughter...

jolson

posted on 8/3/06 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Got married (first time around) in Key West, Florida. Just walked into the local registry office with our passports, and the deed was done.

I'm so romantic, aren't I!

Cheers

John

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.