Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sat Nav
Hellfire

posted on 9/3/06 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Sat Nav

Could anybody who's well up on Sat Nav give me a few pointers. I've decided I'd like a Tom Tom if I were to get one but not sure which model to get. There are quite a few models available but to be honest, it wouldn't get that much use, so doesn't need to be all singing, all dancing.

A trip to France is looming and it would definitely be extremely useful for that. It would probably only get used a dozen or so times in a year at most though - would I be better off sticking with a conventional road Atlas?

Who currently has the best deals on Tom Tom sat nav?

Howlor

posted on 9/3/06 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Having used a few types of Satnav now and if you don't think that it will get that much use then why don't you get a PDA that has other uses and then use TomTom 5. Easily upgradable in the future as well.

Steve

Howlor

posted on 9/3/06 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I have used TomTom all over Europe with no problem at all. It works a treat abroad even through the centre of Paris!

Steve

Hellfire

posted on 9/3/06 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
If say, I were to get a Tom Tom One, I would need another SD card for the France region wouldn't I?

Howlor

posted on 9/3/06 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Unsure how you add new maps with TomTom1, but with the PDA version I have a 1Gig SD with quite a bit of Europe on it. Then you just select the map from the card dependent on where you land.

One other option to consider is if you have a mobile that will run the TomTom mobile software, all you need is a bluetooth receiver and use your mobile for the TomTom. Look at the website.

TomTom

Steve

caber

posted on 9/3/06 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
I have tomtom 5 on a Treo 650 smart phone. I use the treo a lot for my diary and as a contact list i also have mobile email and can even browse the locost builders forum while hanging around! I have mine set up with a wired GPS mouse so I can still use bluetooth for a headset as handsfree for the phone. It is also possible to get a bluetooth GPS mouse this means you have to use a wired headset or a full car kit for hands free.

The treo can also be used as an MP3 player , a camera and to write read and edit exel and word documents.

If you are completely wedded to windoze there are some cheap package deals for windows ce palm tops and tomtom :-(

Caber

Hellfire

posted on 9/3/06 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
I'm trying to get away from Windows. Windows at work, windows at home. Hell, I don't want windows in between as well. I don't do videos and I don't do games. I have an MP3 player and I have a mobile phone. I think I want standalone sat nav like Tom Tom but then I'll need another SD card for France. Before you know it, I've kissed goodbye to £300 for something I'll use no more than a dozen times a year. If I could get what I want for £250'ish, I'd probably get it.

What are the best deals out there at the moment?

nitram38

posted on 9/3/06 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
I have a tom tom one. You can pick them up for around £250.
I have had pda's with the tom tom 5 software.
The advantage of tt one is that it is all in one and has optional licences for things like traffic. I use it everyday to navigate around traffic jams. I also have downloaded speed camera locations. There are some free downloads for the cameras but I use poiwarner.com.
I have a bike intercom on my car with 2 inputs. I will be using one for my phone and the other for my sat nav. TT one has the speaker output that I needed.

Hellfire

posted on 9/3/06 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
How much would it cost for another SD card for a different region?

indykid

posted on 10/3/06 at 02:10 AM Reply With Quote
tom tom 700, full europe street level mapping, bluetooth handsfree capability, and remote for £350, everything stored on onboard hard drive.

tom tom one is £250, street level europe maps add on is 120euros iirc, for official software. it's on the tom tom website.

apparently there's new models coming out very shortly, so if you're not desperate hold on for the price drop.

tom

splitrivet

posted on 10/3/06 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Is your mobile due a free upgrade Hellfire,if so go for a Nokia N70 or similar buy a GPS receiver from Ebay £40 ish a 1 Gig memory card £40, and your ready to go.
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 10/3/06 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

raccoonradar

posted on 10/3/06 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Try ebay for used tom tom with maps required or get tom tom then get maps off ebay. I got tom tom 5 off ebay for £6
cough cough it must be orginial officer & sd card for £40
Make sure you get the maps & not the up grade one
or if you want I can make a back up copy
As I am in kiveton park

Hellfire

posted on 10/3/06 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies. E-bay here I come...........

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.