Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MOT
richijenkin

posted on 10/3/06 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
MOT

As my car was built in July 2003, but on a 'J Plate' and not 3 years old yet, do I still need an mot?

And if I do, do the new mot vosa rules mean I need to take my reg document with me? I have phoned DVLA and they said no, but the bloke at the garage says he needs it???

DVLA are sending me a replacement v5c reg document. I have the small green slip from the back of it though. I'm impatient and want to get it MOT'd...NOW!! WoooHoooo

[Edited on 10/3/06 by richijenkin]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
raccoonradar

posted on 10/3/06 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
It needs one every year from build
I bought mine (Sorry) and had it MOt'd at one year
Details SOULD big SOULD be on dvla's system no need for log book to be taken
as long as it registered correct that is

Hellfire

posted on 10/3/06 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
No. It doesn't need an MOT for three years from the date of manufacture. (Assuming that your V5 is correct) After the three year period is up, the MOT tester will take the age of the vehicle from the registration plate and also assume that this is the date on which it was first used.

A - If your car has an AGE-RELATED plate he’ll assume that the engine is the same age as the plate and do the test accordingly. However, if your age-related plate refers to pre-Aug 1998 (‘S’ Prefix) you will continue to get the visible smoke test for the life of the vehicle REGARDLESS of the age of the engine. Remember though that this does NOT include PERSONALISED plates as in this case the vehicle will continue to be tested according to its age and NOT the vehicle registration number.

B - If your vehicle has a CURRENT/NEW plate or one that is after 1st August 1998, you will get a ‘basic’ emissions test, which is a basic check conducted to set limits carried out BEFORE the ‘CAT’ test. If you pass…..GREAT. If you fail though you’ll be subject to a full ‘by-the-book’ CAT test, plus remember that if you fail this you’ll also fail the MOT. Of course there are plenty of CURRENT/NEW registered kits running around with reconditioned engines so in this instance you will have to prove the age of the engine to the MOT tester. Ideally you should have a copy of your SVA MAC ‘pass’ certificate, which will be sufficient. Otherwise you will have to get a letter from the engines manufacturer stating clearly what year the engine was made.

C - Cars with a ‘Q’ plate are regarded as being of uncertain age so therefore will continue to be subject to the visible smoke test.

Hope that all makes sense.

Phil

[Edited on 10-3-06 by Hellfire]

richijenkin

posted on 10/3/06 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
But if DVLA are unsure? what about when the police ask for it, cus all they see is a 'J Reg' car.

I suppose I could just wait and see if the
post office ask for it when I tax it?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
raccoonradar

posted on 10/3/06 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
is it different for locost then ?
when I bought mine he said you have to have a MOT every year from build (Not like a normal car after 3 years)
He said he had to MOT after sva to get to reg plate on it aswell ?
sorry not wanting to hijack thread just
very clueless

jos

posted on 10/3/06 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Yours wont need an MOT until July 2006 richi.

Bigrich had similar problems with his fireblade MAC#1. Youmight like to drop him U2U for iny info he might be able to help you with

Look at http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=40060

Its a thread that details DVLA appologiseing to him for charging him MOT fees for X years as he shouldve needed one for the first 3 years after he first registered it.

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

Humbug

posted on 10/3/06 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by raccoonradar
is it different for locost then ?
when I bought mine he said you have to have a MOT every year from build (Not like a normal car after 3 years)
He said he had to MOT after sva to get to reg plate on it aswell ?
sorry not wanting to hijack thread just
very clueless

This situation is apparently down to clueless local DVLA office staff. At my local DVLA (Maidstone) they were well up on the rules, and an MOT was never mentioned, only SVA and DVLA inspection.

richijenkin

posted on 10/3/06 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Ok.. I went to the post office and she saw it as a 2003 car so she didnt ask for the mot. WOOOHOOO!!!! but then I thought, well, I'll get an mot anyway, as Ive just rebuilt it and would like it for piece-of-mind. I asked the bloke at the mot station about the emmisions and he said - with the new mot regs, the vosa machine will also see it as a 2003 car so will need to meet 2003 emmision regs. PANTS!!!!! (will a 2001 R1 engine pass them?)

jos

posted on 10/3/06 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Well it doesnt matter whether it passes it or not this time round as you dont need an MOT anyway, as you know. It be different when you do need one, July this year, but hopefully the machines will be able to adjusted to accomodate for us aquard buggers who put older engines into brnad new cars.

richijenkin

posted on 10/3/06 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
following quote taken from http://www.direct.gov.uk

"the MOT will be required three years from the end of the year of manufacture. For example a vehicle manufactured at any time in 2000 will require an MOT no later than 31 December 2003"

So I wont need mot till 31-12-06? I'd like it in writting from 'Mr.DVLA' before I get a producer from the police.

So... Im legal but I still cant go for a drive cus.........................ITS Bloody RAINING!

jos

posted on 10/3/06 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Boooooooooooo

When you get it in writing can you do me a copy please.

[Edited on 10/3/06 by jos]

Humbug

posted on 10/3/06 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richijenkin
following quote taken from http://www.direct.gov.uk

"the MOT will be required three years from the end of the year of manufacture. For example a vehicle manufactured at any time in 2000 will require an MOT no later than 31 December 2003"

So I wont need mot till 31-12-06? I'd like it in writting from 'Mr.DVLA' before I get a producer from the police.

So... Im legal but I still cant go for a drive cus.........................ITS Bloody RAINING!

Except that the full quote is "if a vehicle is used prior to registration, as would be the case with an import, the MOT will be required three years from the end of the year of manufacture. For example a vehicle manufactured at any time in 2000 will require an MOT no later than 31 December 2003". If your car was built in 2003, even with a J registration, then I think it counts as new, in which case the paragraph above the one quoted on that website applies:

"if a vehicle is registered with no prior use on the road, the MOT will be required three years after the date of registration. For example, a vehicle registered "from new" on 25 April 2000 will require its MOT no later than 25 April 2003 "

Schrodinger

posted on 10/3/06 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
If you take it for an MOT and it fails you have a car with a failed MOT and it doesn't matter that it doesn't need one until July as it will be recorded on the VOSA computer system as failed so if you are then involved in an accident and the police check it then you will be done for driving without an MOT
jos

posted on 10/3/06 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
But IT DOESNT NEED ONE NOW so it doesnt matter, whether he's in an accident or not, or even if he gets his collar felt.

richijenkin

posted on 10/3/06 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Niceone humbug, it would probably help if I read things through first, before I try and understand them.

Schrodinger

posted on 11/3/06 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Jos
I realize that an MOT is not needed but once it is taken for an MOT and it fails just like any other failed MOT it supercedes anythig before it and, as it is all computerised now, anybody including the police will be able to find out

bigrich

posted on 12/3/06 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
the rules as far i know now are mot at 3 years regarless of reg number (q age related or new)mot emmisions are as shown on log book or what was done at sva lots of confusion over q plates and stuff even the mot maual is contradictory on this point age of engine is main criteria q plates as hellfire says are visual but after 98 when sva was introduced kit car emmisions are to what the log book states as this is the info that mot computorisation uses my own 2005 j reg99 blade is a cat test ive also done q's with bike engines as cats and visuals so check the log bookif it says something like %co0.5; 0.3 fi hc 0.02fi:lambda0.97-1.03 the its a cat test and you wont pass without a cat and being set up correctly
richijenkin

posted on 15/3/06 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
when I took it to have an mot, the vosa machine said "No Cat Test". The mechanic said the make and model probably isnt in their database yet.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.