Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cold hands
David Jenkins

posted on 13/3/06 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Cold hands

Following on from the thread about waterproof clothing...

I can cope with the cold weather, apart from my freezing cold hands - at the moment I've got a pair of motorbike gloves, which aren't too bad... for a while. After about 45 minutes on Sunday, my fingers were really hurting.

I've looked at ski gloves, but the warmest ones didn't seem too safe for holding the steering wheel. I've seen electrically heated biker gloves, but they're WAY too expensive.

How do other people cope?

David

jos

posted on 13/3/06 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
I use motorbike gloves too and havent had cold let alone painful hands after 1.5hrs blats in 0 to minus deg temps.

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

JoelP

posted on 13/3/06 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
i bet its a loose coat putting a breeze over your wrists david. My big coat has elasticated sleeves, so i pull them down over my gloves.

On alternative, is make an air vent from the engine bay through to the cockpit. I get warm air coming up by the gearlever, its great

timf

posted on 13/3/06 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
a set of latex gloves under your normal ones will work wonders

A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him."
- Sir Winston S. Churchill, 1952

David Jenkins

posted on 13/3/06 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
I've managed to block the air leaks...
...and I'd rather not have engine fumes in the cab! (mind you, it's never going to accumulate! )

I've seen a few pics of gloves with a split mitt that holds 2 fingers in each part - nicknamed the 'vulcan live long and prosper' glove! Supposed to be a lot warmer, but I'd have to try a pair first.

trikerneil

posted on 13/3/06 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Try a pair of silk inner gloves under the bike ones. They work for me and I bet my hands are more exposed than yours.

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Surrey Dave

posted on 13/3/06 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
A pair of Marigolds used to work for when out Windsurfing in the cold.........you might be able to get the same colour as your car!
rusty nuts

posted on 13/3/06 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Just use a pair of silk liners in my thin leather driving gloves , have never had cold hands with them even when I have been cold like at the Sudbury meet
David Jenkins

posted on 13/3/06 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Can you still buy silk liners? I used to have a pair, but they've gone AWOL. I've tried the Motrax knitted liners, but they were useless.

I'm now seriously considering a pair of electric gloves or liners - sod the cost, I could barely feel the controls on Sunday!

cheers,
David

David Jenkins

posted on 15/3/06 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I made my mind up... saw some electrically-heated gloves on the interwebbie-thingy, mentioned them to my wife, and she said "treat yourself"...

Bit expensive but, if they work, they'll make all the difference. I'll let you know how they work out...

David

Dutchman

posted on 21/3/06 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
sell house move to Africa .... or as I do whit my bike , dont drive when it is less than 10degrees celsius....

Tarzan English with foreign accent!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.