Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Good quality but not stupidly expensive tool sets
jecuk

posted on 14/3/06 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Good quality but not stupidly expensive tool sets

Are the sets of tools on machine mart and screwfix reasonable quality. Need a full set to take to rae meetings but don't exactly want to go down the halfords let alone snap-on routes.

Spanners, sockets, adjustable wrenches etc.

darrens

posted on 14/3/06 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
screwdrivers that come in the sets aren't up to much but rest is ok.
Hellfire

posted on 14/3/06 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
You pay your money... usually money expended vs quality is a good rule of thumb with tooling.

S

NS Dev

posted on 14/3/06 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Agreed.

Halfords professional sets are not a bad balance. The quality is certainly good. If they knocked their profit margins down a bit and got rid of some of the "halFrauds" part of their name they would be a bargain.

The machine mart professional stuff is good. The cheap stuff is made of cheese.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

mookaloid

posted on 14/3/06 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Good quality tools are cheaper in the long run...

If you buy poor quality tools now, you will only have to go out and buy good ones later so save yourself some money, buy the good ones first

Buy cheap, buy twice!

britishtrident

posted on 14/3/06 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Halford pro sockets flankdrive are dreadful tolerances aren't tight enough -- I have a set in which 2 sockets were way oversize before they were ever used --- what sizes 10mm and 13mm of course.

With sockets it pays to have a good 12 point set and a cheap 6 point set. Also you need to buy the hex sizes that are not usually included as manufacturers are increasingly using "odd" hex sizes.

For screw drivers look for "hammer through" types.

MikeR

posted on 14/3/06 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
Good quality tools are cheaper in the long run...

If you buy poor quality tools now, you will only have to go out and buy good ones later so save yourself some money, buy the good ones first

Buy cheap, buy twice!

completely disagree with this.

I bought a 30 quid SDS drill from Aldi / Lidl / whomever. Its lasted me perfectly well for the jobs i've done. I have set my expectations and it exceeds them. Mate is in the building trade. He's got the same. Says it will last 12 months, maybe 6 and he'll buy another. Still works out cheaper than the 200 quid professional one that will last him 2 years and he get lots of spare bits.

I got a set of spanners from Argos 5 years ago. They don't get huge amounts of abuse and have lasted me very well. If one breaks, i'll think why it broke and either by a cheap replacement set or an expensive individual one.

I've now got a 60 quid, 2hp, 7.3cfm compressor with 3 year warrenty. Its cheap but i can see it doing everything i want of it with ease. So should i have spent 200 quid on one???

David Jenkins

posted on 14/3/06 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
A lot depends on who I'm buying off - I've got a cheapo SDS masonary drill from Screwfix. It works really well, but if it breaks then I know that Screwfix will replace it without question, unless it's obvious that I've misused it.

David

v8kid

posted on 14/3/06 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
I've used and abused a Halfords pro socket and spanner set for 5 years now and have only managed to break 2 3/8" extensions (with a strongarm and 1/2 to 3/8 adaptor) and one 12mm socket (hammered on a buggered 1/2" bolt) All replaced without question. Agree their other stuff is overpriced however.
Take as many tools as you can to race meets cos when you need them you need them.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jecuk

posted on 14/3/06 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Some of the replies seem to suggest I am planning to buy rubbish. I have no problem buying expensive tools but often for non-professional use, less expensive tools are fine. That is the balance I am trying to strike, not to save money at any cost.

[Edited on 14/3/06 by jecuk]

D Beddows

posted on 14/3/06 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
If you're going racing on a 'locost' type of budget ie pit facilities = back of your tow car, I wouldn't bother spending loads on fancy tools as they'll only end up in a puddle or get forgotten somewhere 200 miles from where you live. I had (actualy still have most of) a cheapo Kasmsa set which cost about £25 from a downmarket Halfords type place which did the job perfectly and I left the good stuff safe at home.

My top tips would be
a: buy a cheapo socket set (go for one that grips on the flats of the nut/bolt not the corners obviously) and spanners BUT buy a decent quality ratchet(s)
b: work out which sizes of spanner/socket you need to use the most and the size of anything that is critical you need to tighten or don't round off and buy good quality sockets in those sizes (should only be about 3 or 4)

You'll never seem to have exactly what you need anyway so it's cheaper in the long run to ruin cheap tools by emergency bodging procedures rather than snap-on stuff!

DIY Si

posted on 14/3/06 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Have to agree with the cheap route. I brought one of ahlfrauds box set things in a sale 3 years ago. I've built two engines, fixed god knows what on everyone's car and I've yet to break a single thing. Cheap tools are ok, as long as you don't play silly buggers with them. Use them for their inteneded purpose and they'll last ages. And as said above, if you do leave some out in the rain/forget them and go home, hey you only spent a few quid on them in the first place.
minordelay

posted on 14/3/06 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
I have some snap on (quite a lot actually) but for general use I have always used cheaper spanners and screwdrivers. the taskmaster range at brown brothers/partco is quite good. I havn't used Halfords yet but they do a good discount if you get one of there trade cards. Always some good deals in the mags for sealey and draper stuff too, I have seen some good toolkits in the freeads from time to time.

Expensive tools are nice but it's like losing a brother if they go missing!!!

David Jenkins

posted on 14/3/06 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
The only cheap tools I've regretted buying have been screwdrivers - some of them were as soft as putty. Now I mostly use a deWalt handle with 1/4" hex inserts - the inserts are tough and properly shaped, and you can usually find a tip to fit.

Otherwise I'll use stuff from Draper, or similar.

David

NS Dev

posted on 14/3/06 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
If you're going racing on a 'locost' type of budget ie pit facilities = back of your tow car, I wouldn't bother spending loads on fancy tools as they'll only end up in a puddle or get forgotten somewhere 200 miles from where you live. I had (actualy still have most of) a cheapo Kasmsa set which cost about £25 from a downmarket Halfords type place which did the job perfectly and I left the good stuff safe at home.

My top tips would be
a: buy a cheapo socket set (go for one that grips on the flats of the nut/bolt not the corners obviously) and spanners BUT buy a decent quality ratchet(s)
b: work out which sizes of spanner/socket you need to use the most and the size of anything that is critical you need to tighten or don't round off and buy good quality sockets in those sizes (should only be about 3 or 4)

You'll never seem to have exactly what you need anyway so it's cheaper in the long run to ruin cheap tools by emergency bodging procedures rather than snap-on stuff!

................and the other thing here that I tend to do is design the car with the minimum number of different bolt head sizes to start with.

Being an agricultural engineering type I remember Harry Ferguson's approach with his early tractors, where he used only 4 bolt sizes and supplied 2 double ended spanners with the tractor.....simple toolkit!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 14/3/06 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Ecomomic Tools

I find Britool a good compromise between quality and price for spanners and sockets.

Keep an eye on Ebay you can pick up some bargains (but not Snap On). I bought quite a lot of Facom from Ebay. They have a life time warrenty.

John

oliwb

posted on 14/3/06 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
I almost always buy Draper.....get a good deal on them as I know the rep personaly, makes warranty claims fairly easy!! I've given up on cheap tools, bought a draper value socket set once, snapped the 13mm socket the first time it was used and the rep let me keep the old set and deducted the price of it £12 (IIRC) off an expert set.....can't be bothered with tools that don't do what they're supposed to! Now on I only buy the expert or proffessional. Bought some of the halford proffessional ratchet spanners this time last year and they've not been abused but are buggered now......its almost impossible to get them to stay on one setting without reversing! Need to take them back but have been putting it off due to the fact that I know the warranty claim wont be as easy as with Draper! Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 14/3/06 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
You might be suprised with them. I brpught my welder from them (yes, I know NOW that I shouln't have done it) and broke it with in a week. Just walked in, told the spotty oik on the desk about it and picked up a new one ansd walked out. Also came with a new real of wire, since i'd just used up the one they give you!
MikeRJ

posted on 14/3/06 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
Halfords Pro, Teng, Facom and Britool are all very good quality tools for reasonable money. Kamasa stuff used to be very good (I still have a complete 3/8" socket set I bought when I was 14), but quality seems to have gone very much downhill now.

Snap On/Bluepoint certainly make nice tools, but they are vastly overpriced IMO.

Learnt my lesson when it comes to power tools though. I've been through 2 cheapo chinese angle grinders, a Clarke "mid-range" grinder and now my Skill grinder is starting to vibrate. The next one will be a professional quality one.

britishtrident

posted on 15/3/06 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev

................and the other thing here that I tend to do is design the car with the minimum number of different bolt head sizes to start with.

Being an agricultural engineering type I remember Harry Ferguson's approach with his early tractors, where he used only 4 bolt sizes and supplied 2 double ended spanners with the tractor.....simple toolkit!

Sadly Harry Ferguson didn't design the current Ford range you need every socket size going to work on one --- great fun having to go and buy an 18mm socket in the middle of a simple job.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.