Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GTS Body Panels
benson68

posted on 15/3/06 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
GTS Body Panels

Hi

Has anyone used the higher GTS Body Panels designed for use with a pinto yet?

If so what was the quality and fittment like on a book chassis

Gav

posted on 15/3/06 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
I havent BUT Isnt all the GTS bodywork an inch or two higher than standard?

Look Mark, Look Brian no whinge!

[Edited on 15/3/06 by Gav]

BKLOCO

posted on 15/3/06 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
I'll try to post a helpfull answer to this.
Don't quote me but it is my understanding that the only thing that is higher is the bonnet and nosecone. I believe the sides and rear are "book" dimentions.
Your best bet is to ring the w-shop or the mobile no. Scott the fiberglass man is there most days and should be able to answer bodywork questions and so should Darren obviously.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

benson68

posted on 15/3/06 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
They definatley do a special bonnet and nose cone for the pinto

This is called the GTS kit and not the panther kit

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of fittng one

BKLOCO

posted on 15/3/06 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
I think you may be getting a little confused here (or I am)
The Panther IS the GTS kit that accepts the taller engines like the Pinto, Zetec, XE ,4age. etc. etc.

Edit

The confusion may be because the kit is still listed on the website as the "GTS Locost"

[Edited on 15-3-06 by BKLOCO]

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

The Baron

posted on 15/3/06 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
GTS Body Panels

Greetings....

I have fitted the GTS body (taller version) to my book chassis (with Pinto Engine) locost without too many problems but...................

I am using a set of engine mountings from Leugo which mean that the cam cover just crowns through the bonnent. I therefore installed a very nice bonnet bulge purchased from Mr Triton (Lord and master of all things fibreglass) who is a member of this forum.

One thing of which I am not sure is:- are all pintos the same height as I know for a fact that the cam belts are different lengths?

The qualiy is first class, however I must warn you that my delivery took 3 months, not the 28 days listed.

Hope this helps, I can post some pictures on the weekend if you wish to see how much clearance I was lacking?

A-T-B
The Baron

[Edited on 15/3/06 by The Baron]

benson68

posted on 15/3/06 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Yep your right

They do a set of locost standard panels and a set of GTS panels which are for the taller engines

benson68

posted on 15/3/06 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Baron

Is there any chance of giving me the engine height from the top chasis rails?

I expect you have also modified your sump?

Pictures would be great

What engine are you using?

Thanks

The Baron

posted on 15/3/06 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
GTS Bodywork

Benson 68,

Will mesure the top rail to top of cam cover on the Friday night (thats the next time i shall see my darling!)

No, I haven't peformed a 'Sump Chop' as yet but i could do with losing a inch of two, and so could the sump.......

The actual engine was removed from a G reg 1.6 Sierra, This is where I get a bit grey with the engine dimensions, as I when I rebuilt the head, and purchased a new cam belt, it was too short! When I returned to my local motor factors, the chap at the counter seemed to think that my engine was a 'economy engine'?

Will also post pictures on the weekend.

Cheers,

The Baron

benson68

posted on 15/3/06 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Baron

I've bought a half built project so I'm just trying to put all the pieces together so far

Thanks

Triton

posted on 15/3/06 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
The Panther grp set is roughly 3/4" taller than the Locost grp set to allow Zetec's etc to fit underneath without too much drama.

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scotty g

posted on 18/3/06 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
I was up at the GTS workshop yesterday and got Scott the GRP guy there to measure the locost scuttle compared with the Panther scuttle. The Panther scuttle worked out to be nearly an inch and a half taller at the centre line.
Any lady will tell you that an extra inch and a half can make a big difference!!!!!

The Baron

posted on 18/3/06 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Dimensions of Pinto Above Top Rails

Benson 68,

I have been tinkering today and have taken the measurements you asked for.

The top of the cam cover is 9 inches above the top chassis rail. Please note that I have removed the oil filler spout from my cover.

If you look in my photo archive there are two pictures of the bonnet, one with the hole, and one with the bulge.

You will also see from the picture that as I am using twin 40's the ITG filers that I am using only just clear the top rail, so the engine could not really sit any lower with my configuration, don’t forget there are trumpets inside the filters which require a set distance of clear air between any filer medium, and the trumpet mouth, which is why I didn’t opt for a fully foam filter which could have been squeezed inside the chassis rails.

Hope this helps,

The Baron.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.