Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: oil additives.......
Jon Ison

posted on 17/3/06 at 12:30 AM Reply With Quote
oil additives.......

any recommendations for such as molyslip, slick 50 ect.......... for use in a diesel engine, what about gearbox ones too ? any good ?

britishtrident

posted on 17/3/06 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Not a good idea while engine oil additives are mostly pretty harmless except for the ones that turn the oil into thick goo but I would advise steering clear of additives except for adding a flush agent immediately before an oil change.

There are a couple of exceptions to deal with specific problems additives to free sticking hydraulic tappets and also stop leak type additives the latter however only really work well on older classic cars which use a higher percentage natural rubber in the oil seals.

Molyslip type additives are particulate and most of the additive gets caught in the oil filter. Also Molyslip type additives should never be used in gear boxes they reduce the efficiency of the synchromesh and can cause problems for roller and needle roller bearings.

[Edited on 17/3/06 by britishtrident]

[Edited on 17/3/06 by britishtrident]

marktigere1

posted on 17/3/06 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Jon

Have a read of this

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/snakeoil.htm

Cheers

Mark

Peteff

posted on 17/3/06 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Some manufacturers even advise against using flushing agents in diesels. I think if you think the oil's a problem just change it. If you get it good and hot there won't be much of the old stuff left.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

britishtrident

posted on 17/3/06 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Thing about flushing agents is to use them from the first oil change onwards, don't stick them in a 100,000 mile engine and not expect not to losen excessive ammounts of sludge.
Jon Ison

posted on 17/3/06 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
thanks guys, I have no concerns about the engine just pondering if i would see any benefit from using anything in there, what about the gearbox, worth it in there ?

flak monkey

posted on 17/3/06 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
TBH you are probably better off just buying good quality oils in the first place rather than relying on any aftermarket additives. The oil companies know what they are doing (in theory at least).

The thing with diesels is you must keep up with their oil changes because the oil gets full of crap very quickly. As long as the oils changed at the correct interval and replaced with a quality oil then it will be fine.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.