Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: webbers fitted, but......
john_p_b

posted on 18/3/06 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
webbers fitted, but......

spent the best part of the day in the wind and cold fitting the 40's and new ignition system to my pinto.

wired everything up, plumbed everything in decided to go for it. ignition was a mile out so sorted that got a spark when needed and in the right place.

fettled with the dizzy and in the end started but missing so again fettles the dizzy a bit, only made it worse not better. do the idiot checks make sure all 4 are sparking and sure enough they are. starts engine took plug leads off 1 at a time and basically 3 and 4 made no difference at all.

conclusion, no fuel!

so there's my situation, 1 and 2 are getting plenty of fuel and running perfectly but 3 and 4 are getting nothing. took the top off the carb checked the floats they are moving fine and there's fuel in the float chambers but it's going nowhere from there.

whats next to do folks?

bit worried i might learn a harsh lesson here about buying 2nd hand carbs from ebay!

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

stevebubs

posted on 18/3/06 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Your jets are probably blocked.

Unscrew them and soak in carb cleaner.

Also get a copy of "how to build and powertune webers and dellortos" - will help a great deal.

S

chris_harris_

posted on 18/3/06 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
May sound like a daft question but have you checked that the linkages between the two carbs are, well linked. and activating both carbs at the same time. have a look down the throats and see if the butterflies are opening. just a thought?

Regards Chris

john_p_b

posted on 18/3/06 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
carbs are both working together all linked up.

i did think jets steve but my dad argued with me about it being both sides letting no fuel in but i have to confess i work mainly via guessing with carbs! basic stuff i can handle but all i work on is oil burners at work!

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

chris_harris_

posted on 18/3/06 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
By the process of elimination theres no harm in taking the jets out and soaking them as steve suggests, at least then you'll know its not them. Failing that it may be a top off and have a look job, will probably mean an overhaul kit though. Good luck!

Regards Chris

rusty nuts

posted on 18/3/06 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Double check inlet manifold gaskets/seals are not leaking on rear carb . No/low vacuum causing no suction on fuel?. Does the engine run OK with open throttle ? if so sounds like rear carb is not open enough. Adjust on balance screw . Try screwing idle screws in fully and turn out a couple of turns . If/ when running on all four balance the carbs using balance tool or small hose to listen to suction. While you have the jets out check them all and note the sizes , make sure each is the same? at least you should have a starting point for jetting . Also check the choke sizes are all the same. Are the carbs a matched pair? check the numbers
mookaloid

posted on 18/3/06 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
I thought I had that problem once - turned out it was my head gasket failed between pots 3 & 4

Good luck

Mark

posted on 18/3/06 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
You havn't got No's 3 & 4 plug leads the wrong way round have you?

Paul G

john_p_b

posted on 18/3/06 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
rusty, manifold is as tight and it's gonna get, tightened everything up before trying to start it. makes no difference really what position throttle is in it still misses but when i open the choke on the carb for 3/4 it runs faster but still missing?

also with the engine not running, open the throttle fully and i get vapour out of front carb but nothing from the rear.

mark, shouldn't be a head gasket problem i hope! it ran fine last time i had it out before i fitted the 40's

john_p_b

posted on 18/3/06 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
You havn't got No's 3 & 4 plug leads the wrong way round have you?

Paul G

nope, timing is fine i'm just getting no fuel out

posted on 18/3/06 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
With it running on 1 & 2, squirt petrol in the carb inlet of 3 & 4.

If it's blocked jets it should briefly run on all 4

Paul G

britishtrident

posted on 18/3/06 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Simple things first

Most likely case is the carb (throttle) balance between the front and rear carbs is a mile out

After that you have to set the balance then set the mixtures then rebalance then the mixtures again.

Agriv8

posted on 19/3/06 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
fuel float valve stuck shut is another possibility ( no fuel to resovior will mean no fuel to jets )

Long shot but what about swapping the two carbs over if problem stops with the suspect carb at least you know where you are heading.

does the beer mat trick work with those in the same way as a blocked su ( ie getting it running and blocking it of so it pulls neat fuel through ?

Just a thought

regards agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

keith2lp

posted on 19/3/06 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi John

I had a similar problem when I set mine up, it turned out to be the balance between the front and rear pair. When I balanced them and set up the idle mixture they ran fine.

Keith

omega 24 v6

posted on 19/3/06 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Keith I've ggot a pdf file here on DCOE's that might help you out. U2U youe email and I'll send it to you.
MrSandMan

posted on 19/3/06 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by john_p_b
when i open the choke on the carb for 3/4 it runs faster but still missing?

also with the engine not running, open the throttle fully and i get vapour out of front carb but nothing from the rear.

This suggests that fuel is not getting into the rear carb. The accelerator pump works independantly from the main jets and it id thsi which gives you misting on presssing the throttle. This suggests no fuel from the accelorator pump or from the main jets. I would check that the needle valve is not blocked or jammed.
Next step would be to strip the carb and soak all bits in Cellulose thinners. Jets can be checked on rebuilding.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.