Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 4 Wheel motorcycle SVA Test?
cloudy

posted on 22/3/06 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
4 Wheel motorcycle SVA Test?

It is possible to have a 4 wheel vehicle put through SVA as a motorcycle I think, what are the conditions of this?

James

DarrenW

posted on 22/3/06 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
?????????

What is said vehicle? do you mean a quad or are you thinking up a scam for getting a se7en thro?

cloudy

posted on 22/3/06 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
it's for my offroad buggy, such things as quad bikes can get through under the quadricycle class - which means motorcycle insurance etc

the heavy quadricycle class is defined at between 350-400kg's (my aimed kerb weight) and should mean a far less stringent SVA

you see road legal buggies on ebay which claim to use motorcycle insurance - and this seems to be the class they come under

This method wouldn't get a heavier se7en through - but I might just get my gixxer powered buggy through

I've heard people talk about power limits - but trikes for example have no upper power limit so I think these only apply to light quadricycles

James

cloudy

posted on 22/3/06 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
darn looks like 15Kw max power
DarrenW

posted on 22/3/06 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
mmmm see what you mean. Apart from studying the SVA manual id recommend calling VOSA to confirm. You will find number for your local centre on website. At least this way you know for sure and can build accordingly.

Hellfire

posted on 22/3/06 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Whats to stop you passing SVA with a smaller engine and then swapping to a gixxer afterwards? Perfectly legal.

GEORGE80

posted on 22/3/06 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
like hell fire said,
or buy a road legal buggy off ebay, take the lights, number plate, chassis plate etc off, (vin plate just bolted on as i had one but painfully slow) put them on your home made one, then change the engine number, then re sell the buggy as an off road and get some of your money back, will be cheaper than f*ck arsing with an sva.

owelly

posted on 22/3/06 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
A bloke I know bought a kit car off Ebay, and swapped the docs, as many folks do, but when he sold the car for spares on Ebay(minus the docs), the car was recognised. The bloke who bought the car applied for the docs using the VRO off old Ebay pics. An inspector came to look at the car and declared it as the rightful owner of the docs (backed up by photos off Ebay). The chap who swapped the doc's got a massive fine and a criminal record.
Just be warned!!

[Edited on 22/3/06 by owelly]

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cloudy

posted on 23/3/06 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
I didn't know that was even possible to do!

James

DarrenW

posted on 23/3/06 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Its basically called ringing! Illegal in anyones language. The only docs swapping ive heard of is when someone owns a fully legal SVA'd car that is written off and rebuilt on new chassis. ID is transferred over and all old bashed parts are destroyed. This is still technically wrong but no real risk of being found out.

Having gone through SVA now, apart from the time hassles and cost its not really a major issue. If you are a law abiding citizen with a guilty face like me then sometimes piece of mind is worth more than the SVA cost.

Hellfire

posted on 23/3/06 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Darren, there's nothing wrong with doing what you've said. It's totally legitimate and legal. As you probably know, there are various categories of write-offs and its quite legal to repair the damage and get the vehicle back on the road, even if it means having a new chassis. As long as you go through the correct procedure for doing so and notify DVLA/VOSA so they can carry out checks on your vehicle before it goes back on the road, it's perfectly legal.

Phil

[Edited on 23-3-06 by Hellfire]

NS Dev

posted on 23/3/06 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Correct as Hellfire said.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

cloudy

posted on 23/3/06 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
looks like a straight SVA for me it is, an open framed buggy is going to be a projection finder's heaven!

James

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.