Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: my webber issues, the latest!
john_p_b

posted on 22/3/06 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
my webber issues, the latest!

got bored at work today so came home early to get a bit of time in daylight to have a play with the 40's .

first took the jets out, checked them they all were clear. fitted them back in opened the throttle up and there's fuel now getting through so progress! more seems to be going in the left than the right but but some is better than nowt!

so, basic problem now is the rear carb simply isn't sucking! the front carb is growling as it runs and if you cover the instakes then it almost dies until you uncover it then it runs fast on the extra fuel. the rear carb doesn't make any difference when covered but still runs faster when uncovered with the extra fuel going in.

is this just a balance problem and am i better off just borrowing the recovery truck from work and letting the pro's at the carb center in leicester sort it properly for me?!

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

DIY Si

posted on 22/3/06 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
The two carbs are balanced to open the butterflys at the samt time/rate I assume? If so, it means that cylinders 3 & 4 aren't sucking in any air. Which seems odd. Unless you have a stuck valve or something similar. But I imagine you'd hear that from a mile away. Have you checked that the two are balanced and that the linkage definitely works?
john_p_b

posted on 22/3/06 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
the linkage all works and everything appears to open as it should.

my dad has just informed me that he "may have swapped the plug leads on 3 and 4 when trying to time it up" gonna have to wait til tomorrow night when i get home to try swapping the leads. if it turns out to be that then i'm putting myself up for adoption!!!!!

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

britishtrident

posted on 22/3/06 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Webers are very easy to balance just use a 1/2" bore tube as a sethoscope hold it close to the carb mouths a listen to the intake sound for each barrel in turn -- nb must at exactly the same relative postion.
02GF74

posted on 22/3/06 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by john_p_b
the linkage all works and everything appears to open as it should.

my dad has just informed me that he "may have swapped the plug leads on 3 and 4 when trying to time it up" gonna have to wait til tomorrow night when i get home to try swapping the leads. if it turns out to be that then i'm putting myself up for adoption!!!!!

crossflow timing 1-2-4-3; rotro turn anti clockwise; carpi (pint 1-2-4-3)

you should hcekc the leads off the cap to se if they are rtight; ofcourse if swapping 3-4 works, then don;t check in case the firing order is wrong!

givemethebighammer

posted on 22/3/06 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Always, Geoff Bloor in Nottingham to sort it for you. He's not expensive either

near to Trent Bridge

[Edited on 22/3/06 by givemethebighammer]

raccoonradar

posted on 22/3/06 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
still sounds like an air leak with "the rear carb doesn't make any difference when covered but still runs faster when uncovered with the extra fuel going in".
Have you tried spraying easy start or like around carb base etc, to see if revs pick up ?

Marcus

posted on 23/3/06 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
You aint got a blocked pipe to the carb, have you? The banjo bolt could have been replaced with a normal bolt! (seen it done ).

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
john_p_b

posted on 23/3/06 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by raccoonradar
still sounds like an air leak with "the rear carb doesn't make any difference when covered but still runs faster when uncovered with the extra fuel going in".
Have you tried spraying easy start or like around carb base etc, to see if revs pick up ?

i'm inclined to agree with you now. it's really the only explaination. going back to square 1 at the weekend though. fit the old carb back on as i know that is crack on then i can eliminate a timing problem then i'll just work from there with the carbs.

john_p_b

posted on 23/3/06 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
You aint got a blocked pipe to the carb, have you? The banjo bolt could have been replaced with a normal bolt! (seen it done ).

Marcus

nah there's fuel in both float chambers.

Pezza

posted on 23/3/06 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem on my xflow in the westy on twin 40's.
stripped both carbs down and rebuilt with new gaskets et all to no avail.
After all that it turned out to be a tiny hole in the rubber gasket that joined the mannifold to the engine, was sucking air in there instead of through the carb.
Exact same symptoms you've described.Could be worth a check if ony to save money.
Ben

[Edited on 23/3/06 by Pezza]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.