Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hazards and Indicators
hearnia

posted on 25/3/06 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hazards and Indicators

I've just sorted out my hazards and indicator wiring but theres a slight problem.

Using the 4 x 21W relay I have at the minute I seem to only get the front four bulbs working for hazards and the rears dont iluminate at all. When using the indicators alone all of the significant bulbs light up correctly.

Is there anything I can do to overcome this? I was thinking of swapping the bulbs out for a lower wattage (not sure if this will work) but if anyone knows of a better solution I'd appreciate it.

Many thanks
Joe

[Edited on 25/3/06 by hearnia]

nitram38

posted on 25/3/06 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds more like a problem with your hazard switch connections
hearnia

posted on 25/3/06 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Cant be the hazard switch wiring as it would prevent the other lights from illuminating too.

I wired it as per hellfires diagram and everything else works fine.

nitram38

posted on 25/3/06 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
I figure that if all lamps work correctly on indicators and only the fronts work on hazards, it can't be a wattage problem. Otherwise all lamps would still illuminate but would be dimmer than normal.
Take a lamp out of the rear indicators and use a voltmeter to find out if any voltage is there.
I still think that it could be your hazard switch as this is the common connection for your wiring. It would make sense that your hazard switch is faulty.
If you post a copy of your diagram, I will check it out.

Regards Martin

[Edited on 25/3/06 by nitram38]

britishtrident

posted on 25/3/06 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing to do with wattage it can only be a wiring issue.
hearnia

posted on 25/3/06 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
I've wired it up as per the hellfire diagram on this link...
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=18623

... Any ideas?

Cheers
Joe

[Edited on 25/3/06 by hearnia]

nitram38

posted on 25/3/06 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Does a single wire come out of the hazard switch and then links from front light to rear light or have you linked your lights at the hazard switch? i.e. front light to hazard and rear light to hazard?

The other thing that I see is that you are using the same indicator relay for the whole system.
I use seperate flasher relays for each. A flasher is normally designed for 21W X 2 + 5W and a hazard is for 21W X 4 + 10W.
I don't think that this is your problem though.
Take out your lamps and check the wattage and voltages. You will be surprised how many wrong lamps are used.

hearnia

posted on 25/3/06 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
The three lights from each side are linked together, this is from a single wire coming out of the hazard switch.
nitram38

posted on 25/3/06 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Then all three lamps should be recieving a voltage. So check your voltage at the rear lamps and the flasher relay type, plus your lamp wattage.

This is why I use two flasher relays as they flash dependant on current being drawn. Your hazards are 4 X 21W + 2 X 5W. Your indicators are only 2 X 21W + 5 W.
This gives you faster flashing if a lamp is out to tell you of the fault.

Got to go to bed now! I have to be up at 4am for work (really 3am with the clock change)

hearnia

posted on 25/3/06 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
I know the two rears are 21W 12V bulbs, so was wondering whether the relay was struggling to power the rears.

I dont know if these things have overload protection in but it seems odd that only the front four have full power?

hearnia

posted on 25/3/06 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
I've figured out the problem, will be a little bit of tweaking of the wires tomorrow but shouldnt be too hard. Will let you know if I have no joy.

Thanks for your help
Joe

nitram38

posted on 26/3/06 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Any chance of letting us know what it is?
hearnia

posted on 26/3/06 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Well what I tried didnt work anyway...

I've got some info from the bulbs if its any help they are:

Fronts - 21W
Middles - 3W
Rears - 21W

I've also noticed that when you have the headlights on and put the indicators on they begin flashing quickly and all of the dash lights etc. flash with the same frequency as the indicators?!?!

Cheers
Joe

britishtrident

posted on 26/3/06 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hearnia
Well what I tried didnt work anyway...

I've got some info from the bulbs if its any help they are:

Fronts - 21W
Middles - 3W
Rears - 21W

I've also noticed that when you have the headlights on and put the indicators on they begin flashing quickly and all of the dash lights etc. flash with the same frequency as the indicators?!?!

Cheers
Joe

The last symptom points to poor earthing.

nitram38

posted on 26/3/06 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
It does sound like poor earthing.
Chippy

posted on 26/3/06 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
I am no auto electrician, but looking at the wiring diagram, if you had followed it to the letter there is absolutely no way that only one set, ie. fronts or rears, could come on alone. I think that somewhere along the wiring path you have got a wire, (or two), in the wrong place. In your shoes I would start from wire one and check out the complete thing. Not much help, but the only way foreword I think. Plus one other thing, check out all the earth connections, they can sometimes give some really weird faults. Regards Ray.
hearnia

posted on 2/4/06 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
I've been messing around with it all weekend, I made up a little brass earth bar and connected all of my earths to this individually but still have the same problem.

With the indicators on in either direction these work fine. Although this does flash the dash bulb slightly.

When I put the headlights on with the indicators (either direction) they flash twice as fast as normal and instead of the rear amber bulbs illuminating the red bulbs flash alternating with the indicators. This also flashes the dash lights. The front headlights work fine throughout.

With the hazards on and no headlights only the front four bulbs illuminate.

With the hazards on and the headlights on the front four amber bulbs illuminate and the rear reds illuminate.

Is there a gremlin in my wiring do you think???

Any ideas would be appreciated.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.