Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stripping Sierra Column
Robster

posted on 30/3/06 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Stripping Sierra Column

Not sure if this has been asked before, so I'll ask anyway! I want to completly strip my sierra steering column (except the mounting bracket). But having taken the lock off can't see an easy way to detach the remainder of the lock assembly from the column. I assume it must be possible - am I missing something?

Cheers,
Rob.

esn163

posted on 30/3/06 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
If its the same column as ours (think they are all the same) the top part with all the switch mounts just taps off see pic
steering lock before
steering lock before

Pic looking towards end where wheel would be. After that, it can be machined smooth like ours now or some manufacturers will exchange it at a small fee for one already machined. Will take a pic tomorrow if it helps.See pic HERE - after cutting it off with hacksaw. Now machined smooth.

HTH Ed

[Edited on 30/3/06 by esn163]

Indy Build Photos
** Build pages **
Photo Bucket Pics

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 30/3/06 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
I hacksawed mine off like that then filed the ribs off, you don't see it when the steering wheel is fitted. As Ed says, it just knocks off but there's a bearing in there so it's easier to keep part of it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

omega0684

posted on 31/3/06 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
All you need to do is put the key in the ignition, this will release the steering lock! undo the big nut under the horn button and the whole lot will just slide off, ITS THAT SIMPLE!

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 31/3/06 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
i got happy with the grinder on mine, though apparantly there is some warning about grinding aluminium with the thin discs, but i haven't had any probs and i've cut loads!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

esn163

posted on 31/3/06 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
some new pics in my archive of the finished thing here and here . Be careful if you cut it off though as its only thin ali.

Ed

[Edited on 2/4/06 by esn163]

Indy Build Photos
** Build pages **
Photo Bucket Pics

Robster

posted on 2/4/06 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thx for the tips guys, took the hammer & then the saw to it this afternoon & hey presto... the job's a goodun!

Cheers,
Rob.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.