Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Bones & trailing arms, CDS or ERW
dern

posted on 4/4/06 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Bones & trailing arms, CDS or ERW

Getting cracking on my build again and I'm wanting to order some steel for the bones and for the trailing arms (GTS dedion) and have been doing a search for whether or not I need CDS or can use ERW which appears to be easier to get hold of (parkers sell ERW but don't seem to sell CDS or at least I can't find it on their website) but have come to no conclusions.

So the question is which have you used for your bones and trailing arms?

Thanks,

Mark

R1 (2003 FI) powered Locost in progress
Fireblade/Impreza

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 4/4/06 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
The bones and trailing arms I have from GTS are ERW. AFAIK theres been no issues with them and Darren has them running on a few race cars around the world...

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

dern

posted on 4/4/06 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
The bones and trailing arms I have from GTS are ERW. AFAIK theres been no issues with them and Darren has them running on a few race cars around the world...

That's good to know. You don't have to know the size of the tubing used do you? I'll email him and ask him if you don't.

Regards,

Mark

[Edited on 4/4/06 by dern]

Fireblade/Impreza

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 4/4/06 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
I dont know the exact tubing sizes no, sorry.

The front wishbones are oval tubing and the trailing arms are 25mmOD round tube. Not a clue on wall thicknesses, sorry.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

dern

posted on 4/4/06 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
The front wishbones are oval tubing and the trailing arms are 25mmOD round tube. Not a clue on wall thicknesses, sorry.
Oval - eek, another variable

Fireblade/Impreza

ecosse

posted on 4/4/06 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
ERW, as recommended by Flak monkey and others

25mm bone tube, 32mm bush tube, all 2mm thick

Cheers

Alex
PS
I am not on the road yet so can't vouch for how strong they are

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 4/4/06 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Wishbone Tubes

I would always use CDS if you can get hold of it. The material will be a better / more consistent specification and without the seam will be stronger.

There is no question that adequate wishbones can be made out of ERW, i would just make then larger to be on the safe side.

I started making wishbones fom DOM (this is welded tube that is then put through a drawing process like CDS, you struggle to see the seam in the finished tube. Most better propshafts are made from DOM) and I had to squash the end a little to give a larger surface area to weld to. I heated the ends and pressed them in a jig and the tube split.

I would not make wishbones from T45 or 4130 as it tends to snap rather than bend. Plus you need to know what to do regarding welding and heat treatment (inc stress relieve)

John

mark chandler

posted on 4/4/06 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
I got some Landrover/ range rover steering rods, these are made of top quality metal and second hand cost pennies from a breaker.

You also get threaded ends for the TRE's and landrover TRE's fit cortina uprights so nothing else to buy.

The only thing is once welded you will need to clean/open the threads so will need to buy borrow a tap for this, I can loan one if required.

Regards Mark

Syd Bridge

posted on 5/4/06 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
I'll throw another in, not yet been mentioned.

DOM. Some tube advertised as CDS is actually DOM, some proper seamless. The DOM I use is much higher spec than ERW and CDS, and not much more expensive.

Anything is suitable, as long as it has proper dimensions.

Minimum 22mm/7/8" with 2.5mm walls, put proper radii on the coilover plate on the front 'bones, and you should be safe for a long time.

Cheers,
Syd.

lexi

posted on 7/4/06 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
CDS which I made 1mm thicker than Book.
Alex

Marcus

posted on 8/4/06 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
I'd used CDS for bones and ERW for trailing arms if you're on a budget (and who isnt?)

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

t.j.

posted on 8/4/06 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
I'm losing it! ERW,CDS,DOM etc

GB-standards are not ment for me!

I'm using "save-side" tube:

diameter 25mm
wall 3mm
FE 360
seamless

easely to work with, Grtz

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.