Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: confusion over gauges
auzziejim

posted on 4/4/06 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
confusion over gauges

well having spent a few days so far deciding what gauges i want i have settled on the VDO vision range as seen on the etb instruments website

http://www.etbinstruments.com/VDO_Range.htm

all i need is a water temp guage and an oil pressure guage with senders. however i also need a sender for the acewell unit i have on order but an a little confused about what i actually need

what range gauge do i need for a 2.0 pinto regards oil pressure also what senders do i need for water and oil

with regards the acewell unit it needs a 100ohm sender and my mk tank is 225mm tall can VDO make custom dip tube senders or is there another option

sorry for all the questions im an electronic retard

DarrenW

posted on 4/4/06 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
On my Pinto ive seen oil pressures up to 90psi measured with ETB's DD2. Oil temp up to 116 degrees on the track (alarm set to 130). Ive seen water temp up to 106 degrees on track. On the road i rarely se temperatures above 100 deg at this time of year - i cant comment on what they will be in the summer yet. Does this help? Im sure if i drove it harder on the track during summer i may see higher temperatures.

Water temp sender is fitted just above the dizzy. Oil pressure sender (twin type for pressure and low pressure alarm) fitted in std postion just above starter motor. Oil temp alarm fitted in an oil gallery plug on other side (almost opposite pressure sender). I drilled and tapped the oil gallery blanking plug to accept this.

I used the std ETB senders supplied with the DD2 and available for seperate oder on their website.

Sorry, i cant help with the fuel sender. Im pretty sure if the std sender is lower ohms then they can be modified to work with Acewell unit. Might be worth asking someone to measure theirs for reference.

[Edited on 4/4/06 by DarrenW]

Chris_G

posted on 4/4/06 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
You must use VDO senders with VDO gauges, you cant get away with using the ETB ones as they are not the same.

Chris

Now finished! Xflow-Zetec swap with GSXR TB's and Megasquirt.

auzziejim

posted on 4/4/06 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
i know that chris i was just looking at the vdo gauges and senders on the etb site. im just unsure about what to buy

im thinking the VDO electric oil pressure guage with a 10bar range and the VDO electric water temp guage. im a little unsure on senders and thread sizes etc

and very unsure on the fuel sender for the acewell unit

Chris_G

posted on 4/4/06 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by auzziejim
i know that chris i was just looking at the vdo gauges and senders on the etb site. im just unsure about what to buy

im thinking the VDO electric oil pressure guage with a 10bar range and the VDO electric water temp guage. im a little unsure on senders and thread sizes etc

and very unsure on the fuel sender for the acewell unit

OK, I wanted to make sure that Darren post didn't make you start looking at the ETB ones

I think your engine should be around 4 bar when running and you probably won't see any more than 4.5 to 5 bar max. I did a search on the westy forum for you and it the only guages mentioned seem to be the 5 bar but don't take my word for it!

I have a zetec so don't want to guess at your thread sizes

Cheers
Chris

Now finished! Xflow-Zetec swap with GSXR TB's and Megasquirt.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.