Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Front end design
MattWatson

posted on 26/3/03 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
Front end design

Note that none of these pictures have the fenders looking exactly the way I want them, too bulbus looking. Anyway, have a look and give me some ideas:

I like the 1st front better than the second one, but everyone can share opinions. The first is kinda styled on a mix of the bently lemans car and the new daytona prototypes coming out. I can't stress enough that I don't like the fenders, but for a couple hours worth of work, they are not all that bad.

Matt Watson
--------------------------------
VW 1.6L SOHC Turbo Mid engined car

http://members.shaw.ca/wavindustries/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rob Palin

posted on 26/3/03 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
I'd go for the 2nd option but i think it would depend a bit where you're putting the radiator and how much space you need down at the front.

(I work in aerodynamics so always tend to look at the function rather than the form - sorry)

MattWatson

posted on 26/3/03 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
I have no idea why I posted this here....

It should have gone into the Mid-engined section of the site... woops.

Anyone want to move this for me?

Matt Watson

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 27/3/03 at 01:37 AM Reply With Quote
Hey Matt, looks promising...I like the way you are heading. Styling is hard to do on the computer don't you think? What software are you using?
MattWatson

posted on 27/3/03 at 06:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
Hey Matt, looks promising...I like the way you are heading. Styling is hard to do on the computer don't you think? What software are you using?

Something not really designed for what I am doing....

I am using 3d Studio Max.

I need to get a cad program from one of my engineering friends. One problem is it autosmothes things, so it never works right... The fenders should be less bulky (my fault) and the mesh is now too complicated to change things like that easily.

I think I will redo the fenders entirely to give it a slimmer look. And this time I will use exact measurements instead of, "well that looks right..."

I like the glass shape and design, so I may pull that off and flatten the image so I can cut it out of a piece of 1/8" fiber board and bend it. Possibly making a buck for heating and forming a plexiglass version of it.

Has anyone any knowledge of companies that manufacture "fake" glass markers? I had heard this talked of, and would let me get through a cursory inspection. (not that plexiglass would be any more unsafe than laminated glass)

Should be an interesting project.

I have all the fenders sort of formed out of wood. I just need to get some foam (which is outrageously expensive) and filler to start. Just start out and see what I can accomplish with the filler and foam to see if I can do the bucks myself.

Something I (presonaly) think is good about the first model is the triangular hood thing (I have no idea what to call it...) I think it takes a fairly basic strait forward design and adds some interesting lines and racing flavor. It takes it from looking like a mid 70's porsche racer (which it looked immensly like with the meshsmooth on) and updates it into the lemans style front end.

I am also playing with the idea of making this a coupe with butterfly style doors rather than a convertable. I don't know yet. The coupe would be more work, but I think that I would be more satisfied with it in the long run rather than with something that I would need the top up too frequently on. It just means I will actually have to pay attention to wether I fit inside or not!

If anyone has any idea's, throw them at me, or email them to me. I am thinking about posting comments on the website if they are worthwile.

thanks all.

Matt Watson

MattWatson

posted on 27/3/03 at 06:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B

And in case you were wondering, I use a half model method. I construct half the model, then whenever I decide to post pictures, I copy everything and mirror it giving a perfectly semetrical image.

Matt Watson

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.