Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Urgent Security Advice Please
Guinness

posted on 5/4/06 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Urgent Security Advice Please

Just got home to catch two local kids standing on a neighbours wheelie bin looking into my yard (where the Indy lives)

Told them where to go in plain language that I think they'll understand.

But now I'm concerned about my general security arrangements for the Indy. I have the car parked in my back yard (terraced house), with a set of 7' timber gates onto the lane (these are padlocked shut). The frame is topped by anti-climb spikes and three stainless steel cables running across the end. The wall with the neighours yard also has a wire mesh fence on top of it. The Indy is under a carport, and the security light comes on automatically when you reach the edge of the carport. As an added precaution I have a heavy duty d-shakle lock in one of the front wheels and through the wishbone.

I don't really want to get a lock up garage and store the car off site. I'm thinking of changing the timber gates to a roller shutter and installing a parking post. Anyone any advice / experience of these?

Can anyone help me set up my webcam (or show me a new one) so that I can access it from my computer, or work, or get the computer to record images like CCTV?

Equipment wise I have a desktop computer which has a TV card in it, 8 meg broadband and a crappy webcam that works but I never use.

I don't know whether to spend time / money making it harder to get in / out of the yard, or install some CCTV so that if someone does have a go I will have some evidence.

Help!

Mike

(P.S. we were broken into 4 years ago, and even though the police told us they knew who it was they couldn't do anything as they didn't have any evidence)

Triton

posted on 5/4/06 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Barbed wire connected to one of those lecy cow fence things.....

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 5/4/06 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Put one of those perimeter alarm things on your car. I think Thatcham do one. Not sure what they are called. But those ones that give audible warnings when people approach the car.

CCTV is dead easy to set up, and you can get cheap kits with a B&W camcorder in for well under £100. You can link it to your PC if you have a TV card and record images if you want to through the capture software that came with your card, or you can pick it up for not many pennies.

Something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-WIRELESS-COLOUR-WEATHERPROOF-CCTV-CAMERA-DAY-NIGHT_W0QQitemZ9705901551QQcategoryZ48632QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Theres loads on ebay.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

MkIndy7

posted on 5/4/06 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Even if you make it so they can't get the car out they might still do something melitious (or however its spelt lol)

If theres no way for animals to get in there you could combine a PIR sencor and an alarm maybe? maybe even and extra zone on the house alarm so if somebody went in that area it would set the alarm off, or an extra set of contacts on the gate should they try and get the car out or open the gates to get in.

A tilt or microwave zone sencor on an alarm on the car, then it would be protected wherever.

raccoonradar

posted on 5/4/06 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
wow makes my garage sound like a thieves paradise, think the only you are missing is nice big dog, maybe trained from a pup to eat kids then bury the bones in the back garden
big_wasa

posted on 5/4/06 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-WIRELESS-COLOUR-WEATHERPROOF-CCTV-CAMERA-DAY-NIGHT_W0QQitemZ9705901551QQcategoryZ48632QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Theres loads on ebay.

David

I had a play with one of them yesterday for a guy .What a load of wank.

rayward

posted on 5/4/06 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
short term solution to stop them taking the car is take a wheel or two off.

Ray

flak monkey

posted on 5/4/06 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Something like this:

Theres loads on ebay.

David

I had a play with one of them yesterday for a guy .What a load of wank.

LOL!

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

nitram38

posted on 5/4/06 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
If you have a wireless network or wired lan, get an ip camera (I got mine from ebay for £70). I also have 'Active webcam' on my PC.
Active webcam will record to your hardrive on motion detection and will send you an email with embedded images. Also you can upload your cam to a website.
Mine is www.bickell.force9.co.uk .
I am currently working nights so if you check my website tomorrow between noon and 3pm, I may be there!

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 5/4/06 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
electrified razor/barbed wire simply done with a an old electric fencing unit.run around the top of the fence. Also those bollards you can get put that at the gate way on the outside as visual deterrant (however things like may show some people you have to hide?
DorsetStrider

posted on 5/4/06 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Just a thought.....but could they not have just been admiring your handy work?

Who the f**K tightened this up!

chris_harris_

posted on 5/4/06 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
If you need one of the posts that stand in front of your car, then i have one. can be yours for the cost of postage, not needed my end now. It bolts to the floor and has a key at the top to lock it. It does sound like you have most bases covered though, except for all manner of cameras and alarms, have to agree that taking wheels off and the like is usually a pretty good deterent, as long as you can safely store the wheels so they don't get borrowed!!

Regards Chris

graememk

posted on 5/4/06 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
go down the local pet rescue, get a really bad ass dog give it a kicking and only fed it raw meet 3 times a week, how ever you wont be able to get to the car either

gregf27

posted on 5/4/06 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Get a tin of anti-vandal paint , the stuff that never dries and sticks like s**t !!, put it on the perimeter wall/fence - word gets round pretty quick!!, plus, just by putting up a sign that you have a nasty bast**d dog , puts em off too !!
Greg

graememk

posted on 5/4/06 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
ask the neighbours to move and padlock up there wheelie bin, offering them a nice bottle of wine for there help in the matter.

Danozeman

posted on 6/4/06 at 05:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

ask the neighbours to move and padlock up there wheelie bin, offering them a nice bottle of wine for there help in the matter.

Easiest solution but they can always climb on each others shoulders to get over.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Guinness

posted on 6/4/06 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, calmed down a bit this morning. Great ideas.

Triton, love the eleclectic flence idea, but I'm not sure about finding bits of burnt chav on my fence!

I will look into fitting an alarm to the car, probably one of the motorbike ones. Then it's safer when I'm out in it too. Won't spend all my time looking out of the pub window to make sure it's still there!

I have checked out my house alarm and it has seven zones, of which only four are used at the minute. Will extend that to include PIR and sensor on the back doors.

Racoon, I love the idea of a big bad dog, but it's not going to happen, Yvonne hates dogs.

Dorset, yes the more I think about it, they were probably just admiring it. But I'd rather they did it at a show, or when I'm out in it. When it's locked in my yard and I'm out is not public viewing time.

Chris_Harris, that's very generous, if the offer of the post still stands I'd be really grateful! If you let me know how much the post is I'll send you a cheque.

Greg, anti vandal paint is on the list now, thanks!

Mike

James

posted on 6/4/06 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DorsetStrider
Just a thought.....but could they not have just been admiring your handy work?

I was thinking that too!

Maybe we're just too trusting for our own good.

The local kids who play in my road see me working on the car and come over and ask about it. In terms of vandalism/theft I felt it's better to be 'their mate' than the grumpy bastard who tells 'em to bugger off!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

britishtrident

posted on 6/4/06 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
IP cam is the way to go but you will either need an iSP that provides a fixed "static" IP addresses (such as zen.co.uk) or use some of the redirection services around.. Forget about normal web cams zero vision in bad light.

It might also be a idea to fit a discrete vistor chime somewhere hidden so they know they have been detectected by something.

David Jenkins

posted on 6/4/06 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
For starters I'd fit one or two good security lights - one thing intruders don't like is to be clearly visible.

DJ

viatron

posted on 6/4/06 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
those cameras arent bad actually but dont go for the wireless one go wired and the picture quality is much better and far more reliable, for best results also buy a DVr card, the software that comes with it is basic but does the job and automatically saves the last 5 days footage. If you want any more advice pm me as we install surveillance stuff for a living.
Mac

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 6/4/06 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by viatron
those cameras arent bad actually but dont go for the wireless one go wired and the picture quality is much better and far more reliable, for best results also buy a DVr card, the software that comes with it is basic but does the job and automatically saves the last 5 days footage. If you want any more advice pm me as we install surveillance stuff for a living.
Mac

Ip cams are wireless and my pictures are perfect!
Don't buy those cheap 2.4 ghz and 1.2ghz wireless ones though.

JoelP

posted on 6/4/06 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
my approach would be to immediately buy a normal camera, or even a dummy one, to stick on the wall. That alone would deter most thieves. With it being a bec, theres very little chance of someone driving it away, so a post is a good idea, as it also prevents (or inconviniences) a more organised job with a wagon. Flood light too is a good idea.

I think i need to organise some security too, i came home from work today and found the keys in the ignition!

Guinness

posted on 6/4/06 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
LOL, Joel, you need to tighten up the big nut, you know, the one behind the wheel!

Mike

Peteff

posted on 6/4/06 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
Buy a tub of cheap grease and paint the top of all you fences with it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.