Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Carb question
mkcornie

posted on 7/4/06 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Carb question

On my pinto engine that im going to put in my Mk it has one of them carbs that has like a ECU box that controls it.

so my question is do i need the box conectind and working for the engine to run and also how do i wire it up to the carb when im not using the doner loom?

flak monkey

posted on 7/4/06 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Which ECU do you have? Must be one of the latest ones if its got a stepper motor on the carb as well.

Get yourself a carb of an earlier engine (cortina or capri) then its purely mechanical. Theres usually loads on eBay.

I decided to use a 38DGAS carb (from the 3litre V6 for some extra power) and changed the dizzy to a points version, again off an older car such as cortina/capri.

No hassles with electronic ignitions, and easy and cheap to fix if it goes wrong.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

mkcornie

posted on 7/4/06 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
yes its off a 1989 car so im thinking its one of the last sort of carbs
MkIndy7

posted on 7/4/06 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
The carb will work with the Stepper motor connected (and even the auto choke), but the ECU box controls the vaccume advance timing for the spark so you will loose this if you remove the ECU.

If you've got room for the ECU and have all the wireing them you might as well use it it doesn't weigh much and its cheeper than scourcing another carb, ours worked great with it on.

mkcornie

posted on 9/4/06 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
So to use the ECU box how do i wire it in as im doing my own loom could i just cut the plug that goes onto the ECU and the same at the engine end and then make a small loom between the both plugs ?
MkIndy7

posted on 9/4/06 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
You could I suppose,
Unless you've not got the original "engine loom" most people find it more expencive and alot of work to make their own loom.

I think we left our "engine loom" the same length (possibly made items shorter), as the sencors and dizzy etc are all in the same location as the Sierra and mounted the ECU box on the front face of the passenger footwell low down.

We modified and shortened the whole Sierra loom so its hard to comment on just the engine ECU side, not too bad of a job to be honest. From what I remember there's and igniton feed to the ECU, a relay (for a heater in the manifold?) that come into the car, maybe some of the warning lights as well.

cryoman1965

posted on 10/4/06 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I believe the unit you have is an amplifier and i think ther were 3 different types. They had between 6 and 11 wires coming from the unit. Could you post the model number on here. I will try and find the info for which wires go where and which can be removed as none essential.
DarrenW

posted on 11/4/06 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
My engine was a late injected Pinto. It came without the injection gubbins so i was forced to go simple carb route (good for me). It had the late dizzy as well but there was no way i could get this to work (something to do with it being ECU controlled hall effect set up requiring all sorts of inputs etc). In the end i fitted a 38DGAS carb jetted for 2.0 and also fitted a brand new distributor and ignition module (the earlier style electronic ignition set up). These wired up very easily and have worked brilliantly for me now.

I will soon be removing my dizzy set up to fit Magajolt. A few weeks later i plan to remove DGAS in favour of bike carbs. This means my carb and electronic ignition set up will soonish be for sale. i only live in Bishop Auckland if you need to know more about what i did.
(I wont be logged on from Tomorrow to next Tuesday if you try and get in touch).

Regards,
Darren.

MkIndy7

posted on 11/4/06 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cryoman1965
I believe the unit you have is an amplifier

Weren't they a little rectangular motorcraft unit about 3" long?

The Unit setup he describes has the stepper motor, and so presumably the bigger Square'ish ECU that has the Vaccume line in to control the advance, and the Hall Effect Dizzy as mentioned by DarrenW

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.