Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Teach Me MIG Welding - Anyone?
EViS

posted on 15/4/06 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Teach Me MIG Welding - Anyone?

As all my local (MIG) Welding courses are fully booked now, and being in the middle of the exam season, an additional course isn't the most ideal of things to be thinking of now, I'm wonderring whether anyone could help me out...

Some time near the end of June/start of July, could someone show me how to MIG weld properly? I'd obviously buy you a few drinks or offer a little cash towards that new build for your time.

Ideally it would be great if you were local (Surrey/London) area, saves me the expense of having to travel half way across the country .

Anyone willing to teach me the basic technique to get me started on the chassis?

ned

posted on 15/4/06 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be happy to show you how i do it, dont know if that counts as doing it properly! Once you've got the basics and have the kit set up properly its more a matter of practise imho.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NigeEss

posted on 15/4/06 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
Aye, Neds right, once you've got used to hoe to set it up it's pretty easy.

The good thing about MIG is there's not a lot of variables and a bit of
practice works absolute wonders.

I personally tend to use as much power as possible, if it blows holes, then
tweek it down a bit, you know you're getting good penetration (f'ner f'ner)
at the very least

Chippy

posted on 15/4/06 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
I learnt using a very good video, produced by The Welding Institute I don't know if they are still in existance, but there address was Abingdon Hall, Abingdon, Cambridge, CB1 6AL.. The Video was called "MIG welding mild steel with low current sets". Got to be worth a try, very informative, and explains it in simple terms. Hope this helps, Chippy.
big_wasa

posted on 16/4/06 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
Buy the best machine that you can aford, I would consider 150 amp a min starting point, anything lower and you will find it hard to weld the 3mm plate.
Buy a length of 25 rhs and make some thing. Engine trolly comes in handy. As said turn the power up and dont be afraid to blow holes in it. Use both hands and as they say practice makes perfect.

I looked into having lesons as I would love to learn how to Tig/Tag But I cant aford the kit at the miniute to do the job.

doughie

posted on 16/4/06 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
big wasa - gas or gasless?
EViS

posted on 16/4/06 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
The dates from when my exams finish are 26th June onwards. Would you be free anytime then in June Ned? Guildford isn't at all far from me, so would just pop down on the train . Should I be bringing my own MIG (haven't purchased yet), steel, etc?

Chippy, going to investigate the source of that video now, possibly find a download source somewhere .

Much appreciated everyone!

[Edited on 16/4/06 by EViS]

ned

posted on 16/4/06 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
No major plans in June, up to you whether to bring your own mig or not really. advantage of using your own is getting the settings right on your own kit rather than just using what I use on mine.

bear in mind it might be tricky to transport a welder on the train, and also you need to sort out some gas for your own welder - argoshield light is what i think i use from boc but you can get the small disposable bottles but you need an adapter for the regulator and you'd need several small bottles to do a chassis imho.

I've got some scrap steel, but don't want to waste good stuff, so if you can find some scrap yourself that would be handy.

Ned.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
EViS

posted on 16/4/06 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Right will do, would it not work out cheaper to maybe buy a large gas bottle? What's the price of these small disposable ones?

If i manage to get my own MIG before then, I'll try get use of the car on that day, 20min drive then .

JoelP

posted on 16/4/06 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
small bottles are just under a tenner
EViS

posted on 16/4/06 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
And how many of them would i probably need? Price of a big bottle?
ned

posted on 16/4/06 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
big bottles can't be 'bought' as such - you have to rent them from boc on an annual contract afaik and they're about £30 a refill.

Ned.

EViS

posted on 16/4/06 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
I take it an annual renting contract is rather expensive then...?
ned

posted on 16/4/06 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
from memory £30-60 sure someone will correct me.

Ned.

big_wasa

posted on 16/4/06 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
There are a few firms that sell the large pub style co2 botles. I got on much better with argon shield. Bottle is about £40 per year and a refill is about £40 with vat ect. So will need to budget on £80-£90 to start with.

Mines from Boc, they will do a credit score ect and I think you have to be over 18 to sign the contract.

Ive used a gasles welder before and didnt like it. 90 amp sip and it would only just do 16swg

[Edited on 16/4/06 by big_wasa]

jack trolley

posted on 16/4/06 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
MIG welding mild steel with low current sets

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.