Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Classic Cars - Buying Guide?
Vixus

posted on 17/4/06 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Classic Cars - Buying Guide?

I've just been reading up on buying my own car. I never realised how many pitfalls there are for one to trip into.

With older classic cars this will be especially important, since they have been on the road so long and may have undergone many restorations and the like.

So I wanted to know if there's a good guide out there that leads you through the safe purchase of a classic car. I've always preferred them over a newer car, they're cheaper and you get a much more interesting vehicle.

I want my first car purchase to be a good classic, like a frogeye.

So, how about this guide? History checks and all that?

{ e = mc something ~ processed meat ~ dA }

Mike R-F

posted on 17/4/06 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
The biggest problem with most older cars, particularly of Frogeye vintage, is RUST. Even restored examples suffer to one degree or another. After looking at bodywork, consider trim both exterior & interior. If you want a complete car, missing trim on rarer cars can be a complete pain. Mechanically speaking, most older cars from the period you mention are a breeze to work on, no troublesome fuel injection, no ABS, no 'leccy windows etc. Bearing in mind this forum, my suggestion to any newcommer would be to consider a glassfibre car. I've got a SE5A Scimitar, Gilbern Invader, Peerless GT & had a Rochdale GT, all of them were considerably more usable than any of the metal classics I've had & their's added kudos from most of them being rarer. Consider an ELVA, CLAN, Berkely, Rochdale and many of the other evcellent glassfibre options. (including a Lotus 7 or Elan)
rusty nuts

posted on 17/4/06 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
I think it was a guy called Lyndsay Porter who did a restoration guide for Midgets and Sprites , may be worth looking at as it points out all of the parts of the car that are likely to need attention. HTH
Vixus

posted on 17/4/06 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, rust... it's something all cars (ok, ok, metal ones!) have to fear. Where should one check on such a car?

rusty nuts

posted on 17/4/06 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Betwwen the front and the rear of the car, in short everywhere!
britishtrident

posted on 17/4/06 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
The bigest problems is the load of twaddle talked by the guys who write for some of the classic car mags.

Fogeyes fetch silly money for what really wasn't that good a car, of the post war British volume sports cars the only two that are fairly safe bets are the MG T types (particularly the TD and TF) or the MGB.

Vixus

posted on 17/4/06 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, but the fact is I like the car for what it is. It's something unique that I find aesthetically pleasing.

Feel free to point me to any cars that would be good cheap, first-car classics.

Triton

posted on 17/4/06 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Mini

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 17/4/06 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Magnets; wonderful things.

Paul G

rusty nuts

posted on 17/4/06 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Would that be the MG Magnette Paul?
Lawnmower

posted on 18/4/06 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vixus
Yes, but the fact is I like the car for what it is. It's something unique that I find aesthetically pleasing.

Feel free to point me to any cars that would be good cheap, first-car classics.

Depending on your age, when you passed your test, and if its your main car (i guess it will be), and where your live, insurance will be the main hurdle you will come across.

Anywhere you cant easily see, get to etc is where the rust will be. if its difficulkt to get somewhere, change a part etc etc, assume it hasn't been done.

Check out Classic car weekly (newspaper), or the various classic are mags about.

try a triumph dolomite, lada, hillman minx, or other equeally blandish mass produced cars with crap engine.

btw I have a series 3 landrover for sale, 2.25 litre engine, tops out at 70mph!!!

for a more modern car, try a 1991 mazda mx5/eunos, lots of character, common enough for spare parts, easy to fix when they break (inc cambelt, i should know).

Check out owners car clubs, in back of the mags etc, more active the club, better support etc there is, any monthly meets near you?

check out the classic car shows when they come about.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.