Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bike carb starting?
robbydee

posted on 18/4/06 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
bike carb starting?

currently in the process of the change from twin 40 webers to some r1 carbs but have heard rumours of difficulties starting.

does anyone have comments please..

Surrey Dave

posted on 18/4/06 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
No probs with my GSXR750 carbs they start and tickover very well, I have installed a choke cable for cold weather, all in all better than the original carb
Kissy

posted on 18/4/06 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
You'll encounter problems if you try to use a car fuel pump, such as Facet red top. These pump at too high a pressure for the bike carbs, and a regulator does not help much as the bike carbs dislike the pulsing effect from the pump. Don't waste time trying to put in a return line to smooth the pulsing out, it does not work - a few of us have been there - get a bike pump (ebay), anything from a 750 upwards should do it. Hope this helps.

ps. You should get more for your old pump than you pay for the bike one, if yours is in fair nick.

Surrey Dave

posted on 18/4/06 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
I have a facet + regulator (set at 1 - 2 lbs), with no return , seems to work OK although if I was starting again I would look for a bike fuel pump, cheaper and simpler , they dont need a regulator and I believe they have more flow........

Is that right?

Hellfire

posted on 18/4/06 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
If you use carbs I'd wholly recommend using a choke for cold day starting... to save that battery.

Dingz

posted on 19/4/06 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have R1s on a pinto, mechanical pump and filter king on lowest setting. It is just a different technique to a webber, on mine it is, don't touch the throttle and use the choke, after a few moments running then you can use the throttle. Although I have heard of others with totally different method.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.