Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK Side Panels
geoffe

posted on 18/4/06 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
MK Side Panels

Just plucking up courage to fit the panels. A 1st dry fit of the side panels shows they are deeper than the distance between top & bottom side rails.

With the top panel lip against the top rail the gap at the bottom seems to be about 5 - 10 mm. I can't imagine I'm the only one who's encountered this. What have other people done/used to pack the gap? I'm planning to use sikaflex/pu plus rivets at about 500 mm spacing.

tri

posted on 18/4/06 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hope this is what your meaning we used a foam tape one side foam 1 side sticky. Bit on top and a bit in bottom and then just screwed it in. took up all the gap.I will get back to you with where we got it when dad is home (he bought it)

Tri

shortie

posted on 18/4/06 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Just pack out the gap where you rivet it otherwise the rivet will pull the side panel up and distort it. I used plastic washers I made from some of that plastic strip you can get from b&q, seemed to work fine.

Rich.

Jonte

posted on 18/4/06 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
I got that gap too. I used plastic bits as spacers at the bottom with Sikaflex

Click it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
richardR1

posted on 18/4/06 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, me too. Mount the top lip straight to the chassis and packed bottom off with spacers cut from a big sheet of 10mm plastic a mate brought me from his work.

MK Owners Club Member 1015

greggors84

posted on 18/4/06 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
i just bent a bracket out of ali, bolted to the chassis and riveted to the side panel.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

ReMan

posted on 18/4/06 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
I just did it using some offcuts of the MK black interior panneling, found to be about the right thickness.
Double and treble thickness at front

[Edited on 18/4/06 by ReMan]

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

DEAN C.

posted on 18/4/06 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't need any packing in mine,I made my own panels!!!

They're a sod to clean though!

[Edited on 18/4/06 by DEAN C.][img]http://locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/a357806-IMG_0108[1].jpeg[/img]

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

Hellfire

posted on 19/4/06 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
The gap is there for a purpose. It's to allow for fitting of a steel floor panel if you so needed. Just fill the gap with PU and personally, I wouldn't bother with any rivets whatsoever to hold the side panels on

Phil

DEAN C.

posted on 19/4/06 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm! 2mm floor pan ,10mm gap?

Seriously I think a bit extra was allowed for variations of the top and bottom rails as well,they do curve quite a bit with the welding.
I always thought that an unpacked panel at the bottom would give a bit of a weakness if you caught the bottom on anything.
Phil should be the expert though as he's built two,and PU will stick anything without rivets as he says.
The good thing is that unlike ally it doesn't corrode and is much easier to look after.

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

indykid

posted on 19/4/06 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
at ackworth it looked like hellfire's side panel lower, at least on the offside had seen the rough side of a sleeping policeman. even though it had taken a chunk out of the bottom flange, no real damage was done to the vertical face, so PU should be fine.

i droped mine onto an evil hump in a pub car park, up near bolton abbey, luckily a plastic one, and even though my side panels were just PU'd on, no damage was done at all. once set, it's pretty solid in compression, and it's all my gap was filled with.

tom

Hellfire

posted on 20/4/06 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
at ackworth it looked like hellfire's side panel lower, at least on the offside had seen the rough side of a sleeping policeman.........

It actually caught on the metal tab which fasten the ramps down on the trailer, whilst I was driving it on. I had forgotten to lift the rear legs of the trailer Shouldn't be visible next time you see the Indy

Phil

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.