Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mig welder birds nests?
Surrey Dave

posted on 27/4/06 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Mig welder birds nests?

Right!!, I am now ready to replace my Sip130Migmate, which does 'birds nests' with annoying regularity, especially with 5kg reels.

The choice for replacement is probably down to Erp /Sealey 150 or red Clarke 160 mig, can owners of these machines verify that 'birds nest's' seldom or never occur.........thanks

[Edited on 27/4/06 by Surrey Dave]

ned

posted on 27/4/06 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
can't remember ever having had a birds nest with my clarke 160t:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/IMG_0795.jpg

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyharding

posted on 27/4/06 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
I was going to get the Clarke 160 but was told it wouldn't run off a 13A socket and my garage power is dodgy so I bought the 135. Never had a single birds nest with it.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

Alan_Thomas

posted on 27/4/06 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Clarke 150 no problems until I had finished the car and came back to it after about a year. Wire scrunched up badly every few runs. changed the liner and was able to back off 'pinch' pressure because wire was so much easier to push thru.
No more problems. Have you tried changing the liner. I used the machinemart teflon one quite cheap as I remember.
Alan

NS Dev

posted on 27/4/06 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Had a Clarke 150 TE which used to have lots of wire feed probs pretty much from new.

Now got an ERP machine (same as sealey) and never missed a beat yet. It's a bigger one (210 or 230, can't remember) but similar apart from it has the euro torch.

PS most of the bigger migs will say they need more than a 13 amp supply but that's all I have "technically" got and I can happily use 200amps output from my mig!

PS just cos I am all excited about it, whoo hoo picking up my ESAB AC/DC Tig tonight, now that really does pull some mains current, like up to 50A!!

[Edited on 27/4/06 by NS Dev]

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

RazMan

posted on 27/4/06 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
My SIP 130 has never given trouble in that area - have you got enough tension on the reel?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 27/4/06 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
Had a Clarke 150 TE which used to have lots of wire feed probs pretty much from new.

Now got an ERP machine (same as sealey) and never missed a beat yet. It's a bigger one (210 or 230, can't remember) but similar apart from it has the euro torch.

PS most of the bigger migs will say they need more than a 13 amp supply but that's all I have "technically" got and I can happily use 200amps output from my mig!

PS just cos I am all excited about it, whoo hoo picking up my ESAB AC/DC Tig tonight, now that really does pull some mains current, like up to 50A!!

[Edited on 27/4/06 by NS Dev]

the street lights will be flickering

My 160 clark does me and no probs at all.

birdsnests are created by lack of drag on the reel. To tight and it wont run too loose and it tangles.
If you try running rusty wire up the liner you get the same effect.......too much drag and a rusty wire or wrong tip......birdsnest

theconrodkid

posted on 27/4/06 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
the street lights will be flickering
i welded a barn door for someone on a farm,the lights in the barn went out on the last 1" of weld so we went home as it was getting dark.
i remember thinking it strange that all the houses down the lane were in darkness too

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Jon Ison

posted on 27/4/06 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
I run a clarke 135 of a 3 pin plug, never (touch wood) been an ounce of trouble, never tripped out and done everything i have asked of it.

benson68

posted on 27/4/06 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
The welder is not a fault it is always the liner/ torch on cheaper sets or the wire pinch setting on the wire feed

A good bet is to disconect the torch and see if the wire runs freely

If it bird nests when the wire gets stuck on the tip it is your pinch setting

Got to learn this welding 48 hrs pr week

Surrey Dave

posted on 27/4/06 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Yes you are probably right, people normally slate the wire feed motor on the SIP's but mine
is quite strong , the wire jams in the liner/torch
and the motor keeps driving hence the bird nest , I am going to try a Teflon lining , (I never new these existed) , but I would still like to replace the welder with something more powerful.

rusty nuts

posted on 27/4/06 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Birds nests can be caused by too much tension on the feed roller, after you change the liner and tip adjust the roller tension so that you can stop the wire feed at the tip by putting your finger on the wire . Make sure you are not touching the earth lead. Had loads of birds nest s on my old SIP and initially thought they were caused by lack of tension which was obviously wrong. HTH
paulf

posted on 27/4/06 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
I had to use my Sip mig yesterday and couldnt get it to feed at all.I remebered the liner was knackered the last time i used it and couldnt get one locally as mine has a 3 metre liner, all newer ones seem to be 2.5m .Had a look around the garage and found some bike brake cable outer that fitted inside the torch lead.I then went to halfords and bought a 3 meter length for £3 and fitted that , it now works better than it has for ages.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave
Yes you are probably right, people normally slate the wire feed motor on the SIP's but mine
is quite strong , the wire jams in the liner/torch
and the motor keeps driving hence the bird nest , I am going to try a Teflon lining , (I never new these existed) , but I would still like to replace the welder with something more powerful.

RazMan

posted on 27/4/06 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Just in case anybody needs a repair kit for their Hobby Torch
eBay Link

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

Surrey Dave

posted on 27/4/06 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Ingenius!!

I saw the metal liners at Machinemart today ,and yes they looked like bike outer cables, but I couldn't see how I would fasten it at the welder end, also what would you do at the swan neck end, does it go round the bend to to just behind the tip?

Peteff

posted on 27/4/06 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Finish the new liner at the swan neck and take the plastic liner out of the swan neck and bin it, it works better without it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

paulf

posted on 28/4/06 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
My welder has a collet at the machine end and i just trimmed the outer plastic back to allow it to fit into the collet, i threw the swanneck spring away ages ago and just ran the liner to the base of the screw in part of the torch.
Paul.

quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave
Ingenius!!

I saw the metal liners at Machinemart today ,and yes they looked like bike outer cables, but I couldn't see how I would fasten it at the welder end, also what would you do at the swan neck end, does it go round the bend to to just behind the tip?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.