Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: brake broke on way to stoneleigh
tractorboy

posted on 2/5/06 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
brake broke on way to stoneleigh

what a rotten day ! left home late due to the monsoon over east anglia . got all the way to rugby and then the problems started. every time i touch the brakes the front near side wheel just locks up and a second or so after taking my foot off the peddel the brake releases . the only reason i can think of is a sticky piston in the caliper ? any body have any other ideas of my problem . i am using standard cortina braking on the front. at least tescos in rugby was warm and dry .also didnt have to pay for petrol to get home as i got a free ride home courtesy of the RAC !
big_wasa

posted on 2/5/06 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Just had that problem on the wifes tin top.

Stripped the calipers and they where ok, Turned out to be an internall tear in the brake pipe acting as a one way valve. A m8 of mine in the trade pointed it out and said its very common. New brake pipes sorted it out.

Hellfire

posted on 2/5/06 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Bad luck Tractorboy... we had one down on the M1 hope he managed it home alright.

britishtrident

posted on 2/5/06 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa

Stripped the calipers and they where ok, Turned out to be an internall tear in the brake pipe acting as a one way valve. A m8 of mine in the trade pointed it out and said its very common. New brake pipes sorted it out.

No its an urban myth

Surrey Dave

posted on 2/5/06 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Brake caliper siezed ,warming the pads up so you get giant brake imbalance....................I've had this!!
Liam

posted on 2/5/06 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa

No its an urban myth

I've had a similar problem before. Not so much an internal tear, but apparently the inside of the flexi hoses can break down over time reducing the internal diameter to almost nothing. Pressure from the pedal/servo is sufficient to force fluid through and operate the brakes, but the fluid can't return back to the master cylinder.

I rebuilt and eventually exchanged a caliper on my old 205, but nothing stopped the siezing brake/red hot disc until I swapped the flexi hose.

You can test whether your siezed brake is caliper pistons or flexi hose easily. If it's stuck pistons, then there is no problem with the fluid returning to the master cylinder so no pressure will remain in the caliper even though the brake is siezed on. Crack the bleed nipple and fluid will slowly seep out. If, on the other hand, the flexi pipe is broken down and blocked there will be pressure remaining in the caliper when the pedal is released as the fluid can't return, and it's this that is holding the brake on. Crack the bleed nipple and you'll get a squirt of brake fluid as the pressure is released.

Sure enough when I cracked the bleed nipple on my siezed 205 I got a jet of HOT fluid squirting out, telling me the flexi line was blocked. If only i'd known about this before wasting time and money on a good caliper.

Liam

[Edited on 2/5/06 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tractorboy

posted on 2/5/06 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
i have just taken the road wheel off .only to find a bloody great gouge inside . you have all been far to technical . ( but thanks for the speedy response ) i have lost one of the two main bolts that hold the caliper to the hub ! im just glad it happened at slow speed at a roundabout in rugby and not whilst giving it a big welly full down the a14 or on a motorway. thanks again scott
Liam

posted on 2/5/06 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Blimey, could have been worse! Hope no damage is done. Did you use thread locking compound and the correct torque?

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tractorboy

posted on 2/5/06 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
i thought i had used thread lock but there is no sign on the thread. but i can assure you there will be some when i get a new bolt ! same goes for the torque loading , it will be done and the other side removed and refitted just to be on the safe side. cheers scott

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.