Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ETB magnets - update on pg2
DarrenW

posted on 2/5/06 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
ETB magnets - update on pg2

Looks like i lost a magnet on Sunday. Speedo suddenly started reading half after a spiritted section. Only done 1100 miles in the car.

I secured them with plenty of araldite (and not the fast set stuff). Prop adaptor on diff was very very clean, rubbed down till metal was bright (not polished). Has anyone had a more long term experience? Can they be bonded with ematal?

Thanks for your help,
Darren.

[Edited on 25/9/06 by DarrenW]

Avoneer

posted on 2/5/06 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, araldite and then duct tape round the lot - worked for me.

You could try solder ???

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 2/5/06 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer
Yep, araldite and then duct tape round the lot - worked for me.

You could try solder ???

Pat...

I think that the heat process would destroy the magnet.

DarrenW

posted on 2/5/06 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
I didnt think about duct tape - nice idea.

Im wondering if the gearbox oil that has liberally coated the inside of my transmission tunnel may have caused part of the problem. Ill take a better look tonight. I have seen the sensor plug is well covered!

Donners90

posted on 2/5/06 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
As an interim measure, and I know it's not ideal, but couldn't you just double the 'pulses per mile' to bring it back in line?

I'm using the areldite method too, so would be interested in the long term reliability.

Cheers
James

muzchap

posted on 2/5/06 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
This thread is getting added to my favs

Still got this pain to go through - have the Smiths Telemetrix dials and hope mine will be ok.

I'm off to buy some araldite and duct tape

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!
------------------------------------

Darth Blader

posted on 2/5/06 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
That's funny I think I lost one on Saturday also, good idea about the duct tape!
Where can you get new magnets from?
Coz everywhere I go seems to be at 20mph or 50mph

Cheers

Rick

Right to Tighten....Left to Loosen

Agriv8

posted on 2/5/06 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
magnets buy em from maplin various types though.

Regards agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

DarrenW

posted on 2/5/06 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
I can get replacement magnets from ETB no problem.

Has anyone ever used JB weld to fix them in place?

Avoneer

posted on 2/5/06 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
I've got about 8 spare small magnets left.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chazzy

posted on 2/5/06 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
this is the most unreliable part of my car, i got bored of reattaching magnets so am using one, it seemed that on is still on from the original aralditing, the other won't stick foro longer thanthe first blat, sometimes you c\an feel it hit the tunnel!

Be careful with duck tape, i wound mine on the "wrong" way and it unwound and ripped the sensor from the chassis :-(

keep a mental note of rpm in top gear for speed cameras!!

Chas

AlexS

posted on 2/5/06 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Kinda following on from the magnet sensors has anyone fitted one of these

And was it a PITA - I mean other than the magnets falling off every five minutes!

DarrenW

posted on 2/5/06 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking about one of those but decided to fit real one in the end.

had a look at the prop daptor today - one magnet has come out cleanly and left a perfect magnet sized hole in the araldite - so it didnt glue it at all. The second has evidence of the araldite coming away. And this was after speding ages cleaning and roughing the steel up.

I think i will JB weld them on this time.

Ref the duct tape - thanks for the reminder on direction.

DarrenW

posted on 3/5/06 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Ive just got back from my mates garage. He has lent me a Wuth superglue kit. ive heard amazing results with it. I will be bonding them prinipally with this and adding the JB weld for extra security.

The only other solution i can think of is to drill a shallow hole to sit them in and bond them to the hole.

stevebubs

posted on 30/6/06 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm....in the 3 years I've had my car on the road, the longest a magnet has stayed on is 1000 miles.

So far I've tried:
jbweld
araldite
chemical metal

None have worked spectacularly well.

Might try the duct tape trick, but sorely tempted to relocate my sended to a front hub so the forces are working for me rather than against.

For those with an IRS car, I think the disc that goes between prop and diff is probably the ideal solution.

stevebubs

posted on 30/6/06 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=26348&criter ia=magnet&doy=30m6
DarrenW

posted on 25/9/06 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Well, i thought id post an update. To save you trawling my last solution was to clean to bright metal, wurth industrial superglue (2 part stuff with the spray activator) to initially bond them followed by JB weld all round and thin layer over the top.

Lasted approx 1500 miles before one fell off on Motorway at very tame speeds last weekend!

Once again i found the detached magnet stuck to chassis. 2nd one was very easily pursauded to come off with stanley knife. This time i have once again cleaned to bright steel (prop), scratched the surface up this time and used sikaflex. Good blob on the steel - magnet pressed into it. Liberal amounts all round and smear over the top. My reasoning this time is that the sikaflex is more compliant than other adhesives and should take the road vibrations much better.

Isnt it amazing that some people dont get any grief at all with araldite but others have to try all sorts of stuff.

Ill report back if they come off again.

silex

posted on 25/9/06 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
I use a different kind of sensor these days - no magnet required.

However, previously I used to use "bead magnets", basically a magnet with a hole through it. Simply drill and tap what you want to fit the magnet too and screw it in place. A bit of locktite on the thread of the screw and its a permanent feature.

Try ebay for various shaped magnets.

Murphy's 2 laws

1. If it can go wrong it will
2. In case of emergency - refer to rule 1.

Schrodinger

posted on 25/9/06 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
If you are using a Sierra or similar IRS ETB do a disk which sandwiches between the prop and diff and the sensor works on that. Unfortunately I don't think it will work with a live axle as that will move within the chassis. Another possibility, although maybe expensive, is that the Granada type 9 box uses a signal generator for an electronic speedo, unfortunately I don't think they will fit straight into a normal type 9 so you will need a Granny box.
rusty nuts

posted on 25/9/06 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Try fitting the magnets to the drive shaft , the turn a lot slower than the prop. Alternatively try using the diff flange bolts instead of magnets thats how I ended up doing mine . If you do it that way try to make sure that all the bolt heads are in the same position relative to the flange . Had no problems at all with mine.
MikeRJ

posted on 26/9/06 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger
If you are using a Sierra or similar IRS ETB do a disk which sandwiches between the prop and diff and the sensor works on that. Unfortunately I don't think it will work with a live axle as that will move within the chassis.

Should be ok if you mount the sensor on the diff. As long as the wires are flexible enough that is.

tks

posted on 26/9/06 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
saying that its strange

because the distance between the bolts is the same!

Sow in theorie should have a dancing speedo!

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

James

posted on 27/9/06 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
I fitted my magnets to the output flange of the diff.
I drilled a hole the same diameter as the magnets and about 4mm deep.

Blob of araldite in the hole, pop the magnet in and another blob on top.

Seems to have held in so far!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

DarrenW

posted on 27/9/06 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting you should say that James. I have spoken to John at ETB (top bloke), he suggested drilling the hole etc is a good way to affix problematic magnets. he also sent me a spare set up as well which was really good of him.
He also recommended Loctite 326 with activator 7649 as an excellent adhesive to use (he said only way to remove afterwards is with hammer and chisel!) but at £20 for 50ml bottle and £7 for activator it aint cheap.

Looks like araldite (and plenty of it) and shallow hole is the most robust locost solution.

furyblade35

posted on 15/10/06 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

ETB do a bolt head sensor for the DD2. It's a bit more expensive but it uses the same plug and can pick up of 4 bolt heads....

Maybe give that a go if you cannot keep the magnets on.

Al.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.