Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1"/25mm Square Nylon Bar
Cheffy

posted on 3/5/06 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
1"/25mm Square Nylon Bar

I need about a metre of 1" or 25mm square Nylon Bar to make steering column bushes. Searched around on the 'net but can only find round bar or 1" sheet nylon at £60+ quid

Beer tokens waiting

Cheers,

Mart.

Farts are like Rock'n'Roll. You love your own but you hate everybody else's. Lemmy, Motorhead.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BKLOCO

posted on 3/5/06 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
I'll have a look tomorrow.
Does it really have to be square?
I've deffinately got some 2" dia Delrin

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

David Jenkins

posted on 3/5/06 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
You could try

College engineering supply

They don't list square section nylon on their site, but I know they do all sorts of shapes - I bought some from them at a show a few months ago!

Shouldn't be more than a couple of quid (hopefully)

David

Cheffy

posted on 3/5/06 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Gents,

Thanks for the responses.

quote:

Does it really have to be square?

Yea, 'fraid so. I want to bolt two lengths together and then machine a hole cutting opposing semi circles. I can then sandwich the steering column between them and mount the whole thing on a bracket - similar to what you can see on Liam's car - thanks anyway.

E-mails sent off to the other two suppliers mentioned.

Cheers,

Mart.

Farts are like Rock'n'Roll. You love your own but you hate everybody else's. Lemmy, Motorhead.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ady8077

posted on 3/5/06 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

would you be able to use a couple of hose clamps, found a pic of a double one, they do single ones in loads of sizes

Adrian Rescued attachment hose clamp.jpg
Rescued attachment hose clamp.jpg

Cheffy

posted on 4/5/06 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Adrian,

Thanks for that, I'll check it out. Where did you find that?

Cheers,

Mart.

rash

posted on 4/5/06 at 06:02 AM Reply With Quote
the clamp in adys pic is a stauff clamp i may be able to get hold of a couple for next week if you let me have the bore size i will see what i can do

rash

Cheffy

posted on 4/5/06 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Rash.

If I don't have any luck with the nylon bar from the sources mentioned by David and Snoopy I'll get back to you if that's okay.

Thanks again for the input guys.

Mart.

ady8077

posted on 4/5/06 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mart

I got a similar clamp to my picture from a hydraulics hose shop
Adrian

Cheffy

posted on 5/5/06 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Problem sorted

Thanks for the input guys.

Had a chat with the guy at my local engineering place this afternoon while I was picking up some other stuff. Asked if they could machine the nylon for me once I'd got it and he said not only could he machine it but could supply it as well. Turns out he stocks it and does quite a bit of work fabricating nylon components for companies already. If I give him a sketch with dimensions he'll knock it up for me!

Thanks again,

Mart.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.