Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What engine to tune from 150 -> 300hp?
Jonte

posted on 4/5/06 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
What engine to tune from 150 -> 300hp?

What car engine would be the easiest and cheapest to tune from 150hp to 280-300bhp?
Doesn´t matter how many cylinders or what kind of help it uses (turbo, MS, compressor and so on).

Due to the regulations for the swedish sva it must be in the area of 150bhp for a 700 kg car at start.

Click it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skydivepaul

posted on 4/5/06 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Audi 1.8 turbo.
150BHp standard
great engine and can be ECU reprogrammed for 250 - 280 BHP with standard turbo and no other internal modifications.
My A6 was reprogrammed from 150 to 230BHP in 4 hours and £450.00 bargain.
loads of low down torque too.
you can go to 350BHP with new turbo and manifold for £1500 - £2000.00
would be great in a kit car

[Edited on 4/5/06 by skydivepaul]

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

JoelP

posted on 4/5/06 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
whatever engine, its gonna be much easier with a turbo. What about if you fitted a restrictor for sva?
Jonte

posted on 4/5/06 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
whatever engine, its gonna be much easier with a turbo. What about if you fitted a restrictor for sva?

cant do that. I would need a certificate from the maker, and that´s impossible here in sweden

Click it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jonte

posted on 4/5/06 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skydivepaul
Audi 1.8 turbo.
150BHp standard
great engine and can be ECU reprogrammed for 250 - 280 BHP with standard turbo and no other internal modifications.
you can go to 350BHP with new turbo and manifold for £1500 - £2000.00
would be great in a kit car

[Edited on 4/5/06 by skydivepaul]

sounds great. You have any idea what gearbox that could fit the engine. I asume that it´s frontwheel driven as standard.

Click it

tks

posted on 4/5/06 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
mhh

Donkervoort chould be able to help you!

They use the T9 (reinforced) and only do Audi engines and offcourse also yours..

altough think about the intercooler room and oil cooler room is needed.

Regards,

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

Hellfire

posted on 4/5/06 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
You could easily use an old Skoda VRS engine which is the same as the Audi 1.8T but with 30 more bhp and probably much cheaper! The new Skoda VRS is 2.0 and 200+bhp.

mark chandler

posted on 4/5/06 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Toyota MR2 Turbo engine 3S-GTE

Out of a rev3 turbo the put out 240bhp, add a zener diode in the fuel rail then its 270 with a CAT !

They are also cheap, not sure about gearboxes, same lump in a celica GT4 so I guess a Celica or Supra box would do as these both have RWD.

Plenty of importers of JAP lumps and cheap.

Regards Mark

hobbsy

posted on 4/5/06 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skydivepaul
Audi 1.8 turbo.
<SNIP>
<SNIP>

What kind of MPG did you get as I'm considering ditching the TDI A4 and getting a 1.8T version (would also consider A6), remap and LPG'ing it. If its get 25mpg is still doing better than 50mpg on diesel with current prices...

quadra

posted on 4/5/06 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
I know nothing about jap cars but I was always under the impression that a celica GT4 was transverse mounted inline 4 with four wheel drive, but I may be wrong.

You don't need eyes to see, you need vision!

Gav

posted on 4/5/06 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy

What kind of MPG did you get as I'm considering ditching the TDI A4 and getting a 1.8T version (would also consider A6), remap and LPG'ing it. If its get 25mpg is still doing better than 50mpg on diesel with current prices...

My Cupra is chipped form 180 to 220 ish and get anywhere from 230 to 300 miles for about 45 litres but i have to use super unleaded as thats what the guy programmed without evan asking me which map i wanted...

Liam

posted on 4/5/06 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Think you're missing the point that it has to be 150bhp as standard for the nasty Sweedish power-to-weight ratio rules.

The audi engine sounds good if those incredible gains are really just a matter of chipping. I'd suggest the toyota MR2 MKII engine as above. You could start with the non turbo version then really easily swap it out for a turbo version or add the turbo bits. Not too sure what RWD gearbox fits - maybe IS200/altezza as that uses a later version of the engine.

Liam

Volvorsport

posted on 4/5/06 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
assuming you are in sweden you should look no further than your own automotive bretherin , for an easily tuned engine upto 300hp , with an adapter plate to match , T5 motor .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Dutchman

posted on 12/5/06 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Well 150bhp that is a problem , I woul go with saab 2.0turbo engine but it is 170bhp and it can be put on Opel Omega gearbox , and I quess that U can ask from Saab some document how much is the bhp without the turbo, and add it later just plug the hole for sva ....

I think audi 1.8t is also over 150bhp ... isnt easier to put some more weight and go for 180bhp there is much more engines in that spec.

Tarzan English with foreign accent!

MikeRJ

posted on 12/5/06 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
How about Vauxhall C20XE? The later engines were 150bhp I think, and after you get it registered you could upgrade to the C20LET turbo version which is quite capable of 300bhp.

The only sticking point is the gearbox. You can use the Vauxhall Omega or Carlton gearbox or Type9 gearbox (with aftermarket bellhousing) with the standard engine, but none of these will cope with a tuned C20LET. A custom bellhousing and a Borg-Warner T5 box might be a possibility.

NS Dev

posted on 12/5/06 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
The Saab idea was a good one. Put in a late 9000 2.3 (non-turbo) on an Opel Omega gearbox, then swap over to a 2.3 turbo (griffin in the uK) engine later after registration.

350hp is a mere formality with these engines, and over 400 without too much work. (but gearbox breakage may be an issue!)

[Edited on 12/5/06 by NS Dev]

[Edited on 12/5/06 by NS Dev]

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.