Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Twin Superchargers.... why?
James

posted on 11/5/06 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Twin Superchargers.... why?

Was thinking about the extremely cool Koenigsegg on Top Gear and thinking about it's twin supercharger system.

I understand the basics of turboing and supercharging.

I can understand the reason for twin turbos so as to have 2 smaller ones to help prevent lag. Or one small, one large. Or else maybe you want to drive one off each header bank of a V engine.

But a supercharger is driven off the crank right? And can presumably feed an air box for both inlet manifolds so what's the point of 2 when you get no lag?

Is it that one is on a clutch mechanism so it kicks in at higher revs so as to reduce the charger's power consumption at low RPM?
Or are they indentical and it's so one feeds each header? What's the benefit of this?

Thanks,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

emsfactory

posted on 11/5/06 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
You can use a twin chargers to make a staged system. So one charger will increase pressure by a certain amount and this is then fed into the second stage charger which ups it again. Dont know if thats what the konniieiengngngnsnsnsgeegegggggg uses though.
mookaloid

posted on 11/5/06 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
A couple of guesses...

Available space under the bonnet? dragsters have them on top of the V8 and they stick up about a foot above the engine and bonnet.

the closer to the inlet ports the better from a response point of view?

if the supercharger is further away from the inlet there might be a (very momentary) lag whilst the air starts to compress up to working pressure, so 1 for each bank of cylinders could work better.

cheers

Mark

nick205

posted on 11/5/06 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
....or possibly just a marketting tactic - 2 always sounds better than 1 doesn't it?
olv

posted on 11/5/06 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
i think 800bhp sounds good whichever way you get it
NS Dev

posted on 11/5/06 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
I will take a guess and say it's probably using Vortech type centrifugal blowers as they are very compact and small.

With these, their max pumping rate is not really enough for large engines and you need two. (a pretty std conversion on modern small block chevies in US road cars)

They use a pair of large turbocharger compressor housings driven by an epicyclic gear train and belt driven off the crank, so the problems are not dissimilar to turbos in terms of airflow, except that the speed constraints of the mechanical drive limit the top end air delivery compared to the equivalent turbo.

You were thinking along exactly the right lines though, there's not really any technical reason to use two unless you can't get one that is big enough, or it's difficult to mount one because it is so big!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

NS Dev

posted on 11/5/06 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by olv
i think 800bhp sounds good whichever way you get it

Why the superchargers though?

Ultima have 720hp from a smallblock chevy running a good old carburettor and nowt else, and yep it is road driveable no bother, trying to get my mate round with the demo car so I can get a ride out with the new engine! Last time out it "only" had 640hp!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

DaveFJ

posted on 11/5/06 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
slightly OT sorry......

Years ago i had a mate who got 700+ bhp out of a ford v6 in a capri....

admittedly he had twin turbos AND a supercharger.. (never quite sure how that worked) and the engine alone cost him over £10,000 to build - thats in '91.....

he got a 'centre spread' in fast ford (i think)

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

rusty

posted on 11/5/06 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
The thing is with superchargers they work best at a certian RPM so you can't just spin them faster to get more air so it may even have two for better boost over the rev range.
muzchap

posted on 11/5/06 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Best way is as the CAPRI did

Supercharge for low down rev range, then turbo for high end

That must have been some Capri!

How many bags of cement did he have in the boot

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!
------------------------------------

jono_misfit

posted on 11/5/06 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Run a decent anti lag (or response system as they all call it in WRC now) on a turbo and the super charger doesnt help that much........

Of course the turbo turbine doesnt last that long if you do.

If you doubt the difference an anti lag system makes, you need to look at the torque curve from a wrc car.

jono

NS Dev

posted on 11/5/06 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Yea, but they only run them to fit with regs, they are a right hotch potch of a system which I would not want on any car I ever work on.

jono_misfit

posted on 11/5/06 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
I dont disagree with you that their not ideal, but making a working anti lag system is a bit easier than compound charging and is lighter in weight.

Personally i'd rather have a larger displacement than forced induction.

clutch_kick

posted on 11/5/06 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
It's all got to do with Compressor efficiency. First compressor feeds into second, achieving a greater mass flow of air, with a lower relative increase in air temperature.

This is used in modern jet engines which are generally twin spool ( two concentric shafts ), where the 'Core' of the engine would generally have 9 stages of compressors to achieve the highest efficiency.

MikeRJ

posted on 11/5/06 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jono_misfit
If you doubt the difference an anti lag system makes, you need to look at the torque curve from a wrc car.

jono

Turbo lag is an entirely different issue to the RPM at which useable boost is made. Do WRC actually use anti-lag techniques to spool up the turbo from very low engine RPM?

[Edited on 11/5/06 by MikeRJ]

jono_misfit

posted on 11/5/06 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
As far as im aware, yes.

Due to the inlet restrictor theres only a very limited power band and the engines dont rev that high so they try to make the most of it.

The response systems are used to have the turbo spooled, so when the throttle is opened its already up to speed and can deliver useable boost pressure.

jon_boy

posted on 11/5/06 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Anti Lag. As far as im aware when you come off the juice (vacuum sensor?) the timing gets mucho retarded and goes bang with the exhaust ports open so it all pops in the exhaust/turbo making it spin up fast off throttle, but ruining half the engine. Hence the flames at the gear changes/off throttle moments. Not the sort of thing you run if you have any kind of budget.

[Edited on 11/5/06 by jon_boy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.