Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Induction kits
MkIndy7

posted on 20/5/06 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Induction kits

Following on from the filters and Ram pipes thread...

Has anybody any experience with their effects between different brands other than their sound?

Are K&N for £80 so much better than the universal £35 Halfords cone filter for example?

Are the more expencive induction kits worth the money or are they just well over priced for boy racers?

If there worth the money then i'll spend it.. but otherwise i don't like getting ripped off!

BKLOCO

posted on 20/5/06 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
If you have a liking of Burberry and all things chav then spend loads of dosh on an induction kit that will do bugger all for your otherwise standard production car other than wee off the neighbours.

If however you just want to supply your engine with cool clean filtered air buy a bog standard universal filter.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

flak monkey

posted on 20/5/06 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
They just help by allowing you to place the inlet so you can get cool air to it. Not usually a problem on a locost with the carbs sticking out of the bonnet. However if you have FI you might want to think about the best position!

I know someone who bolted a Max Power induction kit to their 2 litre astra and it gave them an extra 20bhp... *cough*bollocks*cough*

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

MkIndy7

posted on 20/5/06 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh thought the Chav references would come out ,

Its for an engine conversion where there is no standard airbox and I doubt the one from the donor would fit.

Was just wondering if anybody had experience of the different brands from a performance point of view, rolling road, racing, personal preference etc

Basically I don't want to put a cheepo filter on if its going to hamper the engine breathing.

[Edited on 20/5/06 by MkIndy7]

gazza285

posted on 20/5/06 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Do what I do and don't use filters. As a plus I get to rebuild my engine more often too.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skydivepaul

posted on 20/5/06 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
As always you get what you pay for. K&N have been in the business for years long before the max power brigade came around so you cant go wrong with a K&N filter but you will pay the price. some other companies have tried to copy K&N and some work better than others. I personally tried pipercross and K&N on twin 40's and the pipercross was shite. very restrictive, the K&N performed virtually the same as with open trumpets but without the costly engine rebuilds.

................beware of shiny plastic chrome copy cone filters that are priced accordingly

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

jay taylor

posted on 21/5/06 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
i would also have to mention the fact that some universal filters cannot be cleaned but you can get cleaning kits for k&n and pipercross also you could try emailing them and asking them power increase on the engine you are using
TangoMan

posted on 21/5/06 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Measured airfow

I seem to remember from my racing days that someone had flowbenched various filters.
K&N came out on top with very little effect on airflow. Is some cases it was found to be better than an open carb due to holding the stand-off.
Foam filters (Pipercross etc) showed a slight restriction when dry and slightly more when oiled. They tested a cheapo pancake filter for a laugh and as you can probably guess, it was crap!!
I can't remember the model but interestingly a new standard filter was as good as a foam one but deteriated quicker as it became clogged.
The K&N flowed significantly better than everything else when clogged.

I guess the moral is of you use a standard filter, change it regularly.

OH yeah, and sock filters flowed worse than a standard paper element.

I would be nervous of buying anything from Halfrauds with a performance label. OK for boy racers but I bet they have never been tested and are unlikely to be a good as something which has been developed over many years with a racing pedigree.

Bear in mind that most will flow sufficient for part throttle so you are only likely to see any benefits at WOT and fairly high revs.

DIY Si

posted on 21/5/06 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'd always buy K&N. They have a 1,000,000 mile/10 year gaurantee. AS said, they can be cleaned and re-oiled so you'll only ever need one. Depending upon application, they can increase air flow over a standard open carb, and flow just as much air when 'clogged' with 1/4" of dust. The dirtier they get, the better they filter too, but without the usual drop in air flow.
MkIndy7

posted on 21/5/06 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, there more like the responces I was hopeing for, thanks guys.

Then only thing making me weary of K&N's is i've heard there not that good when you have an Alow Flow Meter in the system (Its for a XE engine BTW), Has anybody heard the same or is it another wild roumor?

Although that maybe ties in with what TangoMan said about only seeing the benefits at WOT and fairly high revs as the AFM set up is allegedly a bit slow to react.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.