graememk

posted on 24/5/06 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
water as fuel ?

click

donut

posted on 24/5/06 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
that's incredible!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 24/5/06 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Yes it works, but it takes a hell of a lot of engery to electrolyse water into Hydrogen and Oxygen.

Its the principal of several fuel cells which have been around for years.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

wildchild

posted on 24/5/06 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Yes it works, but it takes a hell of a lot of engery to electrolyse water into Hydrogen and Oxygen.

Welcome to the second law of thermodynamics.

joneh

posted on 24/5/06 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
I don't believe that for a minute - he'd have been bumped off before he'd even got to the media! Was it an april fools?

flak monkey

posted on 24/5/06 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wildchild
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey

Welcome to the second law of thermodynamics.

Thermodynamics was never my strong point in the first year

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Peteff

posted on 24/5/06 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Brought to you by the station that brings you the Simpsons, you are watching Fox. It must be true .

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mezzz

posted on 24/5/06 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
I was wathcing 5th Gear the other night and Honda have devloped a car that runs on the same system
David Jenkins

posted on 24/5/06 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
I have seen a demo where water was split using a square-wave power supply - the gas was produced copiously with fairly low power input. The downside was that the gas produced was a mixture of oxygen and hydrogen - ordinary electrolysis separates each gas according to the polarity of the electrode.

It may be significant that his system produces a mixed gas...

[Edited on 24/5/06 by David Jenkins]

andyd

posted on 24/5/06 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
I saw a program about a guy that did this years ago. Said he'd been targetted by all sorts to stop developing it as a commercial product. Said the oil providers had made attempts on his life as his findings would affect them drastically.

Obviously the program didn't show exactly how his system worked but showed a "prototype". Although it does take a great deal of energy, this guy reckoned he'd made it all happen without needing to inject huge amounts of energy into the process in the first place.

And the resultant by-product of running his "water car" on it was water therefore no polution.

I'm not a physics professor but it sounded too good to be true back then. Things may have changed however.

Andy

cossey
Contributor

Posts 430
Registered 5/12/05
Location Kent

Photo Archive Go!
Building: a pile of bits that will someday be a fisher fury

posted on 24/5/06 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
that is way out of date, fuel cells were invented years ago and bmw had a hydrogne burning car back in the late nineties.

in the end the power comes from the electricity supply and it isnt 100% efficient and neither is the power station that produced the electricity so in the end these ideas are a bit flawed until we have a reliable source of green electricity ie nuclear fusion mostly likely.

there are london buses already running on this so whilst he may have patented the hydrogen welding (it will be a very specific patent) he cant patent hydrogen cars. also hydrogen and welding is a big mistake as either excess hygrogen or steam will embrittle the weld.

greggors84

posted on 24/5/06 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
If a decent source of renewable alternative to oil energy source was found and released the world economy would collapse, as it is so dependent on the oil companies.

That is what they would lead us to believe anyway!

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

JoelP

posted on 24/5/06 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
how about we use our home leccy supply to wind up giant rubber bands, then use them to power our cars all day? Thats sure to generate more power than we put in...

Well, it might save on fuel duty somewhat - or more likely, incur it on the whole house supply

David Jenkins

posted on 24/5/06 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cossey
that is way out of date, fuel cells were invented years ago and bmw had a hydrogne burning car back in the late nineties.

in the end the power comes from the electricity supply and it isnt 100% efficient and neither is the power station that produced the electricity so in the end these ideas are a bit flawed until we have a reliable source of green electricity ie nuclear fusion mostly likely.

There was a feature on Fifth Gear the other night - there's a Japanese island somewhere that generates more hydro-electric power than it can use, so they make hydrogen with the surplus.

The big manufacturers use the island to test their fuel-cell cars!

David

COREdevelopments

posted on 24/5/06 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
toyota have done it too. i have seen one of their hydro powered previas in their training centre. however dont think they will produce em as it must cost loads!!!

greglogan

posted on 24/5/06 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
It's no good to us. How could the government charge tax on water. - WATCH THEM TRY!!

Women are meant to be loved, not understood.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.