Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tow car options
greggors84

posted on 25/5/06 at 01:31 AM Reply With Quote
Tow car options

As the Indy is very close to being Road Legal (if the speedo ever works!) I have started to look at a new everyday car.

2 reasons i would like to change cars, firstly my car at the moment is a 106 Rallye and is great for hooning round country lanes and roundabouts, but the Indy will take over the pleasure aspect of my driving. The rallye is also useless at driving any distance, above 80 it drinks petrol and is noisy.

Secondly, i would like to get a trailer to tow the car to trackdays and other things. So i need a suitable tow car.

I have been thinking about a Toyota Hilux, never really thought about one before, but after seeing the one on topgear i think they look really cool, thats without the outboard bolted on the back!

Obviously its a bit unpratical as most only have 2 seats. But for load carrying they are unsurpassed by most things.

I should be able to get £1200-1400 for my 106. What sort of Hilux am i likely to get for this money, have a look on ebay and there are a few on there that look decent and not abused by a builder, but they still have a few days to go so not really sure how much they go for.

Please let me know your opinions and thoughts even if its just you think im making a huge mistake! Or alternative cars or trucks, keeping in mind im only 22 in July (the 2.4D hilux is about £100 more for insurance that the 106) I dont think im ready to get an estate car yet either!

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Mezzz

posted on 25/5/06 at 01:43 AM Reply With Quote
Golf
UncleFista

posted on 25/5/06 at 02:00 AM Reply With Quote
Greggors, if do an advanced search on ebay, you can tick a box marked "show completed listings only". It's the best way to find out the average finishing price for ebay stuff.

HTH

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

greggors84

posted on 25/5/06 at 02:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezzz
Golf

Would that really be big enough for towing a trailer and car? Doesn't the trailer need to be no more than 3/4 of the cars weight? A kit car and smallish trailer must be around 1200kgs. I dont think the estate would be up to it either.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

mookaloid

posted on 25/5/06 at 03:01 AM Reply With Quote
you won't get much of a hilux for £1200...
v8kid

posted on 25/5/06 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
You want a bit of comfort when towing for a long time 4*4 have a shite ride and gobble fuel with no real advantage.
I use a normal saloon and get 35 mpg towing with aircon and a comfy ride.
Pals crewcab gets 20mpg and your kidneys are scrambled after a couple of hundred miles.
Go for a 4 year old diesel mondeo will be well within your budget - my last one towed 1.5 tonnes for 120k without a murmer

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Johnmor

posted on 25/5/06 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote
C5

Citroen C5 Diesel
Very cheap for Y plate
Hydro suspension, self level and a big enough car to give stability.
50mpg easy for the 110 HDi
As for comfort, the suspension puts it in a different class
Saw a 51 plate at auction, last week £2200.

Often overlooked but they can be a real workhorse and all the depreciation is already there.

britishtrident

posted on 25/5/06 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
For that kind of money you won't find much around that won't cause you a lot of unwanted hassle at MOT time. On that budget best tow car suitable for every use that I can think of is the the Rover 600, they are pretty well bullet proof.
JoelP

posted on 25/5/06 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
i too would recommend a diesel ex repmobile. I had an r reg primera diesel about 3 years ago, it was a great car despite 160k, and towed things very well.
graememk

posted on 25/5/06 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
c5 is a loverly car but i bought one when y plate was first new and had problem after problem with it untill it caught fire on the m10

but if you find a good one there a pleasure to drive.

ned

posted on 25/5/06 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=43664

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
richijenkin

posted on 25/5/06 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
Golf tdi does the job

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 25/5/06 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
406 hdi estate. nigh on bullet proof (mine is anyway!) and great towcars. Cheap as chips these days for older ones. Mine at 125k and going strong
Phil.J

posted on 25/5/06 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
I'd go for a Ford Mondeo diesel. Alot of car for the money, comfy and economical. Personally I use a Shogun 2.5D for towing, reliable and reasonably comfortable, about 30mpg, and 23mpg towing a big trailer at 70ish on the m-way.
britishtrident

posted on 25/5/06 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scotlad
406 hdi estate. nigh on bullet proof (mine is anyway!) and great towcars. Cheap as chips these days for older ones. Mine at 125k and going strong

Fly in the ointment is the wear prone rear suspension -

Ketchup

posted on 25/5/06 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
i have a nice e30 bmw 318i touring with a towbar for sale at the moment, that will do the job, not too bad on the go-go juice either! £650 taxed an tested!

shamefull plug i know.

owelly

posted on 25/5/06 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
I have just sold a 98 Vectra Estate for £700. Done a few miles but was brill for towing and fairly good on fuel (2ltr ecotec).
I wouldn't recommend a Pick-up. You either need one or you don't!! You can only seat two and you can't secure stuff in the back. They can also get pushed around when you are towing if you are not careful!!
The best towcar I had was a Discovery but it was always falling to bits and cost a fortune to run.
Don't s'pose I have said anything that helps.........

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

JoelP

posted on 25/5/06 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
im hoping to find a nice vivaro soon for towing and work, but i missed the autotrader today as i was too busy at work. Maybe next week...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.