Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Paypal - Accepting Large Amounts of ££££ ??
lsdweb

posted on 28/5/06 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Paypal - Accepting Large Amounts of ££££ ??

Hi All

I've got my Dad's caravan for sale on eBay here. I've had an enquiry from somebody who wants to know whether I'd accept Paypal for the full amount - £6600. Apart from the fees (£220!), is there any reason why I shouldn't go down this route?

Regards

Wyn

graememk

posted on 28/5/06 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
why couldnt he just transfer the money to his bank account then pay you with reall money when he collects

omega0684

posted on 28/5/06 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
ask him to write you a cheque or pay cash. dont accept paypal, unless he agrees to pay the fees for you!

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 28/5/06 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
On Large amounts I would take a NON-Refundable deposit by paypal, say £50 or £200 on that size of amount. Then take the rest in Cash on Collection.
Be very mistrusting, and cash in hand of that amount requires you to buy a marking pen for identifying forged notes.

I would not take all that via Paypal.

Sorry...

[Edited on 28/5/2006 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
miserableoldgit

posted on 28/5/06 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Your Ad says you prefer PayPal so I don't think you have any choice but to accept.

The advantage is you are guarenteed the money; the disadvantage is you have to pay fees.

A bit late to whinge about this now; sorry if that seems harsh, but that's what you offered.

Youth and vitality are wasted on the young

JoelP

posted on 28/5/06 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
no!

its far too easy for the purchaser to get his money back from paypal. I would strongly recommend you refuse to accpet the full balance by paypal. Its far too risky, you are asking to get stung.

AS it happens, the auction says 'seller prefers paypal' just because you would accept it, and ebay (paypal) will make a killing on the fees, hence ebay says you prefer it. I say again, dont do it.

[Edited on 28/5/06 by JoelP]

muzchap

posted on 28/5/06 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
As said - deposit (non-refundable - make this clear) via paypal.

Then either cash or bankers draft - cheques are tricky, as you need it to clear before releasing goods.

I would def not use PayPal for that sum of money. Speak to him and spell out the charges - if he wants to pay the PayPal charges add em on

Just be reasonable and polite and I'm sure everything will work out fine

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!
------------------------------------

britishtrident

posted on 28/5/06 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
No !
craig1410

posted on 28/5/06 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
I would agree not to accept Paypal as a friend of mine's Son recently lost £750 when Paypal reversed the money out of his account after he had released the goods due to it being a fraudulent credit card which was used on the Paypal account. He was in particularly bad shape because he didn't have a delivery address (the buyer collected the goods from him) so he was pretty much stuffed.

I'd say bank draft or cash and if you use a bank draft then phone the issuing bank and make sure it is a genuine draft (arrange transfer in banking hours). Also wouldn't hurt to get the buyer to bring ID (passport or photo drivers license) just to be safe. If he's genuine then he won't mind. Get the cash straight into a bank the same day and as mentioned, get a pen to check every note for authenticity. Don't apologise for doing this either!

It's a sad reflection on society these days but be safe!

Cheers,
Craig.

[Edited on 28/5/2006 by craig1410]

RazMan

posted on 28/5/06 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
As above - Paypal deposit to make sure he really intends to buy and bankers draft for the balance (definitely not cash)

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

craig1410

posted on 28/5/06 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Beware that Bank Draft's are NOT guaranteed to be paid... See the following web page for details:

http://www.bba.org.uk/bba/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=263&a=654

graememk

posted on 28/5/06 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
i sell alot of faulty laptops on ebay as spares and do not offer paypal as they side with the customer in the event of the buyer complaining, now its cod or bankers cheque in the post

Simon

posted on 28/5/06 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Folding only, or pre cleared cheque (but wait an extra couple of days and get written proof from bank it's cleared.

As has been said about refunds on Paypal. I'm so distrusting of it, I won't accept it for payment for anything, nor will I pay for anything with it.

ATB

Simon

lsdweb

posted on 29/5/06 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys - sound advice!

I don't want to put the guy off but I think if he's keen I'll insist on another payment method.

Regards

Wyn

Hellfire

posted on 29/5/06 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Paypal is great for sending cash to someone for a small item they're gonna post but for something they're going to have to collect, I can't see the point of using it. I would never use it for transferring cash which I couldn't afford to lose. Accept cash only, on collection or delivery.

Phil

Hellfire

posted on 29/5/06 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Accept non-refundable deposit by PAYPAL - balance either cash or cheque.

ONLY release goods on full and cleared payment.

Steve

[Edited on 29-5-06 by Hellfire]

greggors84

posted on 29/5/06 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hijack the thread, but what charges would i have to pay to receive £500 through paypal? It says if I have a personal account it doesnt cost me to receive money and i only pay a charge to deposit it if it under £50.

What have i missed.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

ewanspence

posted on 29/5/06 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
bank transfer

I opened a simple current account not cheque book or switch only cash card but I use that for folks to transfer funds too directly. They can pay into my account at their own bank, or a local branch of my bank or use online banking. Only takes 2 days to appear. I then immediately withdraw it so the balance is left at 0.

Never had any problems and used this process for 50+ transactions.

Ewan.

Visit the MegaGrip site :-
http://www.geocities.com/ewanspence/

ewanspence

posted on 29/5/06 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
paypal fees

greggors84 here is a link to the paypal fees.

for personal account it is limited to paypal transfers only and no card payments can be received so it should be free.

paypal fees (theft)

1.4% + £0.20 GBP to 3.4% + £0.20 GBP

Think this applies for UK accounts too.

[Edited on 29/5/06 by ewanspence]

[Edited on 29/5/06 by ewanspence]

Ewan.

Visit the MegaGrip site :-
http://www.geocities.com/ewanspence/

flak monkey

posted on 29/5/06 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Its free to receive money if you have a personal account. However the money has to come from another paypal account thats in credit. Otherwise the payment will bounce (voice of experience ). Once you have upgraded you can always accept money, but you will be charged a surcharge every time you receive money.

As for the point of this thread, tell him to pay a deposit through paypal and the rest on collection in cash.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.