Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: F27 Owners urgent safety warning!!!
gregf27

posted on 4/6/06 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
F27 Owners urgent safety warning!!!

Went for a run in my plan built F27 on Tuesday , and as I was approaching a junction, I heard a loud "POP" and the off side front wheel canted over and locked up.!!
On checking what had happened , the weld around the nut on the lower wishbone had snapped!!!
This has happened to at least one other F27 owner ( Bruce Jackson ) that I am aware of ,
I am sure that this could happen to anyone else with this type of designed lower wishbone.

PLEASE can the F27 owners / builders check their wishbones , and carry out the strengthening suggestions that I have just completed ( photos in my archive )

Luckily I was travelling slowly and there were no injuries , Damage wise , I have had to replace the steering rack ,as it had pulled one of the racks out by 20mm!!
Luckily I had a spare rack in my garage!!
If this post helps to avoid even a single accident or injury then I will feel good!!

I'll try to post a pic or two now!

F27 lower wishbone snapped
F27 lower wishbone snapped

F27 wishbone strengthening par
F27 wishbone strengthening par

F27 wishbone underneath
F27 wishbone underneath

ChrisGamlin

posted on 4/6/06 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Jesus thats scary, I cant believe they just welded on a bolt like that!

omega 24 v6

posted on 4/6/06 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like a severe lack of penetration. I wonder what the rest of the welding is like
Confused but excited.

posted on 4/6/06 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Jeez! How scary is that?

Just 'cos you bought it, obviously don't mean it's safe.

Why in hell would anyone do something so stupid!

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

t.j.

posted on 4/6/06 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Who fabricated that???

I would make an insert and drill two holes which would give extra strenght.

Hopefully, the other drivers check-up their arms.

JoelP

posted on 4/6/06 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
never heard of a threaded insert i guess! thats some bleak stuff...
aerobrick

posted on 4/6/06 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Jesus I am just about to assemble my f27 suspension its all new in the box looking at that failure i will have a really good look

May even post a photo on here showing what the bought new from YKC before don sold the whole shebang Last year.

I will be modding mine I simply do not like the way its designed.

Jon Ison

posted on 4/6/06 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
I must say the weld looks a bit dodgy but the idea is even more dodgy, that's a very highly stressed area of any car.........

DIY Si

posted on 4/6/06 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Weld looks to have barely attched the nut to the bone tube. There is surely a better way to make these things? Just out of curiousity, how do the inserts weld in? I've never seen one up close before.
MikeRJ

posted on 4/6/06 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gregf27
F27 wishbone underneath
F27 wishbone underneath

Your going to have to remove a lot of that outer weld to get a flat surface for the lock nut to seat against. I'd be tempted to drill a couple of holes though the side of the tube and put some plug welds in for extra security. A proper threaded insert would be better again.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 4/6/06 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
A much better way to do it would be to make up a long threaded insert that would support the entire length of the ball joint, then slide that inside the tube and weld it in. You'd probably puddle weld it in as well so its welded at both ends of the tube.

DIY Si

posted on 4/6/06 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
So, do you buy the inserts or make them? Never treid to find any before. Would you normally put plug welds down the length of them or not?
JoelP

posted on 4/6/06 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
you can make or buy them, id buy them myself as i dont have a lathe to make them on. Nick skidmore has in the past made them, i hope to buy a selection and some roses off him
Deckman001

posted on 4/6/06 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't that the way Gts offer for wishbone design(Adjustable Insert) Sounds like he is ahead of the game

Jason

nitram38

posted on 4/6/06 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
For my bones I used 30mm long 20mm dia 1/2" UNF bushes.
Instead of them being welded onto the end of tube, my tubes meet either side of the bush. This means that the surface area of the weld is the full length of the bush. Also a small piece of 10mm tube is triangulated between the 2 joining tubes.
[img][/img]

Liam

posted on 4/6/06 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hello...

Forgive me for being critical, but I dont think that strengthening is going to do a thing! The weak point is still exactly the same as it was before - where a nut is welded onto the end of a tube. That plate may help the wishbone as a whole but wont help the weld that failed at all. And the sleeve over the two nuts also wont help the weak weld - the inner weld of that sleeve is simply on top of the weld that failed. No part of that strengthening has actually strengthened that original weld imho. I think the only way to do it is with threaded inserts like everyone else has suggested.

Liam

[Edited on 4/6/06 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 5/6/06 at 04:46 AM Reply With Quote
SVA, Design etc

You will fail an SVA for a radius that is too small but something like that, which is just shocking, doesnt get picked up.

Poor penetration is not the real problem it is poor design.

Welds should never be loaded in tension (pull) but in shear. You should get as much weld surface area as possible.

Which is why you should have a threaded insert, that slots into the tube. The end of the tube is slash cut (not square). The slash cut gives more weld area and puts the weld in shear.

A couple of rosette welds are a good idea. Rosette welds are where you put a hole in the outer tube (6mm) and weld through into the inner tube, a bit like a big spot weld.

John

britishtrident

posted on 5/6/06 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think the mod hs fully addressed the reall cause of the failure

Personally I would have used a long threaded insert bronze welled/brazed in or used thick wall tube and tapped the thread on to the tube as per book Locost top wishbone..

[Edited on 5/6/06 by britishtrident]

Hellfire

posted on 5/6/06 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
I'd say poor design too...

How the hell a nut welded onto the end of a pipe is supposed to support anything like a suspension component is beyond me.

Either a insert brazed in or even pinned is better than the option used. A severe redesign is vital to prevent this happening in the future. As a critical part you would expect nothing less really...

nitram38

posted on 5/6/06 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Not a very good picture, but it shows how I cut half of the tube away and welded the bush in. On my outboard joints, both tubes meet each side of the bush, but with enough gap to weld all 3 componants. Please ignore the nut cover/lock wire, it is for my up coming sva.
Description
Description

[Edited on 5/6/2006 by nitram38]

David Jenkins

posted on 5/6/06 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
I'd say poor design too...

How the hell a nut welded onto the end of a pipe is supposed to support anything like a suspension component is beyond me.

Either a insert brazed in or even pinned is better than the option used. A severe redesign is vital to prevent this happening in the future. As a critical part you would expect nothing less really...

I was surprised to see the same technique used by a so-called top hot-rod builder in a programme on Sky - they were making the rear swinging arms by welding nuts onto the end of steel tube. A few tack welds, fit the rose joints, try them for size, then strip down and fully weld. If I was paying over $50000 for a car I'd expect better engineering than that!

David

P.S. It wasn't American Hotrod - it was some other show.

DarrenW

posted on 5/6/06 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Defo bad design. Nitram has the better idea of sandwiching the 2 wishbone tubes either side of a threaded insert and fully welding.

My lower 'bone takes the lower ball joint that bolts onto a plate. Not as adjustable but defo stronger.

Its amazing what some people offer for sale!

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 5/6/06 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Quote"I was surprised to see the same technique used by a so-called top hot-rod builder in a programme on Sky"

Doesnt surprise me. Unfortunately a lot of hot rodders are also ignorant of good design. They can build big engines, craft nice looking pieces of metal and have great paint jobs but fundamental good design is often lacking.

John

britishtrident

posted on 5/6/06 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Some 20 years ago I remember looking at a Rover V8 powerer T bucket Hot rod. To get the steering coloumn to clear the engine the bulider had used a Viva steering rack mounted off centre by about 200mm from the vehicle centreline and one track rod was extended in length to accomodate this. What really irked me was the driver and I presume builder of the Hot Rod was acting as a RAC MSA assisant scrutineer.
pewe

posted on 5/6/06 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Greg. that's a bug*er I've not long had mine done by my local pro. welder. Must say he wasn't over-keen to do it that way though - same as JB's comments about shear rather than tension. Suppose I'll have to find some inserts - one step forward and two back as usual!
Cheers for posting it - I thought Bruce's was a one-off, Pewe.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.