Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine stalled mid-flow - could it be stale fuel?
Just

posted on 9/6/06 at 06:25 AM Reply With Quote
Engine stalled mid-flow - could it be stale fuel?

Having sorted my water issues the engine the other night just died mid-flow. I suspected a dead battery, but have since bought a charger/starter and it still won't fire even with it on start (120 amp) for a few seconds while turning.

The only thing I have done is add some petrol from my can that had been sat around for a few weeks (can't be any older than 2 months) could it be this? I know fuel can go off but if it is stale would it be enough to prevent a Pinto from starting altogether?

The engine is a 1.8 Pinto with Twin Dellorto 40s. There is Oil pressure under cranking, the starter should eliminate any battery probs, there is a good whiff of fuel around the carbs, there is a spark on at least three plugs (took them out and tested them while turning), the engine is turning but just won't fire.

mookaloid

posted on 9/6/06 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
has the timing belt slipped?
Just

posted on 9/6/06 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
I guess it's possible - could this happen in mid-flow? Is it a case of whipping of the cover and checking the marks?

The other thing we noticed was that when cranking the exhaust was sucking - is this normal?

natehall

posted on 9/6/06 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Just
I guess it's possible - could this happen in mid-flow? Is it a case of whipping of the cover and checking the marks?

The other thing we noticed was that when cranking the exhaust was sucking - is this normal?

have you connected the battery up the wrong way after charging it?

thus making the starter go in reverse?

If it aint broke, uprate it
if it is broke, uprate it

http://www.modders-uk.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Just

posted on 9/6/06 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
No, didn't disconnect it as I was using it in starter mode too.
johnemms

posted on 9/6/06 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
if your plugs are dry .. try spraying / pouring / whatever .. fuel directly into the carb manifold inlet.. turn her over see if she fires off that fuel.... if yes and then dies .. fuel starvation...
Just

posted on 9/6/06 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks John, the plugs looked wet but it is always hard to tell. What would be the easy way/place to pour some in on Dellorto 40 sidedrafts?
trogdor

posted on 9/6/06 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
if ur plugs are wet then its probally timing, i wouldn't of thought that the timing belt would of slipped under way enough so u couldn't start it, but i guess its possible.

rusty nuts

posted on 9/6/06 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Check the cam timing , it only needs something to have dropped into the belt when you did the water pump . Also check that the rotor arm is pointing towards no1 plug lead when the cam timing mark is aligned. If not adjust as needed. Try spraying eazistart or brake cleaner into the carb inlet , if the engine fires it may be fuel starvation or it could mean you have washed the bores with excess petrol when trying to start with a flat battery/fouled plugs etc. If the engine runs after spraying suspect the latter. If the engine doesn't fire check the ignition system
Just

posted on 9/6/06 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Good advice guys - it was the timing belt that had slipped. Thankfully no damage done! It turned out that the tension hasn't got the spring retainer on it and the tensioner itself had moved allowing it to slip. Typically I looked at the tension in the belt when I did the water pump and looked at the cambelt and thought that will be handsome for the summer.

So, thanks to all for the advice, a spring retainer on the tensioner and I am sorted - down a few quid on anti-freeze but another few flushes in the bag .

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.