Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: eBay spoof
stevec

posted on 10/6/06 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
eBay spoof

Just had a eBay spoof that is a new one to me.
It is in an email that tells you an item has been shipped to you.
It is almost perfect.
When you click on the linky to the item your user name and password page comes up but no security padlock thingy.
Watch out guys.
Some will have already seen this one but a lot havnt,
Steve.

RazMan

posted on 10/6/06 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, I had this a few times now - there is also a similar one from 'Paypal' that informs you of a payment you have made and if you disagree to click the link provided. Needless to say, do NOT click any link in an email and go to your Paypal home page in the usual way if you want to check anything.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 10/6/06 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Yes I saw it and for the first time ever I actually clicked the link and entered my password - it was only when it didn't take me to my page that I realised I'd been had - needless to say that I changed my password within 30 seconds of this happening
bob

posted on 10/6/06 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Forward the mail to spoof@ebay.co.uk and let them investigate,the same for paypal as well.

I've had both the ebay and paypal spoofs in the last 7 days,one the same as above and the other was paypal saying i needed to change my password as it was out of date. Reported both to spoof@ebay

joneh

posted on 10/6/06 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
You can click the links, just don't enter your username or password. It'll log your user Id / password, then say you entered it incorrectly and re-direct you to the real ebay site. Next time it comes through put something amusing in.

BKLOCO

posted on 10/6/06 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joneh
You can click the links, just don't enter your username or password. It'll log your user Id / password, then say you entered it incorrectly and re-direct you to the real ebay site. Next time it comes through put something amusing in.

Exactly what I do.
Allways trying to think up new insults

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

wanna be builder

posted on 12/6/06 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
just wondered if any of you have seen this site for dealing with all spam email scams coming out of Nigeria

http://www.419eater.com/index.htm

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.