Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Good quality torque wrench
donut

posted on 18/6/06 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Good quality torque wrench

I have bought myself a Rover V8 block and will be building it up to a fully built engine and i require a decent torque wrench for the job. Do you have any recomendations for a good quality but not Snap on money wrench?

Cheers in advance.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
12a RX-7

posted on 18/6/06 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
we use Norbar ones at work, bought one from Buck and Hickman a few years back and they are very reasonably priced for a quality and properly calibrated bit of kit

ned

posted on 18/6/06 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
built my engine with a reasonable draper one Andy, has done the job and certainly didn't break the bank.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 18/6/06 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Can't beat a Britool torque wrench .
donut

posted on 18/6/06 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers chaps. I'll have a scout round on the internet with your suggestions.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

atomic

posted on 19/6/06 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Must agree with rusty nuts. Brittool are very good. There are a few other notable makes. Snap-On while very good are expensive and there is also Teng.
I have quite a few Teng tools and find them to be very good for the money.
Basically you pay's you money and take your pick.

This may help
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product_test/59647/torque_wrenches.html

donut

posted on 19/6/06 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
That Draper one looks a good buy then!!

I have got my dads old one from 1932 (ish - sorry dad!!) but i can't be too sure of it's acuracy.

Andy

ned

posted on 19/6/06 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
i was told that you should always unwind them to the min setting when not in use as otherwise the spring inside can stretch over time and the wrench loses its accuracy.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

James

posted on 19/6/06 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
i was told that you should always unwind them to the min setting when not in use as otherwise the spring inside can stretch over time and the wrench loses its accuracy.

Ned.

Agreed, knackers them after not too long if the spring's kept under tension.

Andy,
I bought a Teng one. Cost about £35 afterhunting around. Does (IIRC) 40-280 or so.
I could actually do with one lower for some bits of Golf engine but I wanted it for Sierra hub nuts!

It's fantastic quality and probably my favourite bit of kit I've bought for this project!

HTH,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

James

posted on 19/6/06 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donut
"I have bought "
"and will be building it up to a fully built engine "
"and i require"

Donut,

What a lot of 'I's.

You sure it's really 'you' who will require the torque wrench?

Cheers,
James

Sorry.... it's just too easy sometimes....

[Edited on 19/6/06 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

donut

posted on 19/6/06 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Cheeky bugger!!

Andy

C10CoryM

posted on 19/6/06 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't get too carried away with expensive torque wrenches for hobby automotive projects. Most fasteners require even torque, but not so accurate torque. Meaning that if the spec is 50ft/lbs they can be 47-53ft/lbs so long as all the bolts are the same amount off.
If they are all the same torque, there will be no warpage.

If you buy a good torque wrench and do not calibrate it often its no more accurate than a cheap wrench. I have a $350 snap-on wrench for work, and a $35 el cheapo wrench for home. Both are accurate enough to do anything automotive. Snap-on one *should* be calibrated yearly but Im gentle on my stuff so I can go a couple years. The cheap one has stayed the same for 5yrs now. For hobby stuff just buy another cheap wrench when it stretches. Its cheaper than getting it calibrated.
Cheers.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

rusty nuts

posted on 19/6/06 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
It may be cheaper than calibrating a good torque wrench until you shear a bolt /strip threads etc . Andy what make is your dads old one ? it may be possible to get it calibrated and serviced for not alot of money . For the amount of work you would do with it , if returned to zero after every use it would last you a life time and its always nice to have something of your dads
donut

posted on 19/6/06 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
It's a Williams Autotorque. It's old but my dad's the sort of chap who will spend the money and get decent stuff that will last and he does look after his stuff. He used to adapt and make tools for engine rebuilding but they got stolen from his MG roadster about 15 years ago.

Andy

James

posted on 19/6/06 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
and its always nice to have something of your dads

Agreed most of 'my' tools are my Dad's. I just bought stuff I 'needed' for the Locost. Grinder etc.

I regularly use (and have just put one down to write this) tools he inherited from my Grandfather who died 40 years ago!

Still working fine all these years on.

Cheers,
James

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.