Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost covered trailer
v8kid

posted on 20/6/06 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Locost covered trailer

Dunno where else to put this. After a wettish weekent at Doune hillclimb I eyed the chaps who had Dastle Raceboxes with envy. Checked out the website - HOW MUCH!!!

Any ideas how I could convert a Standard Car Transporter (Brian James) to a locost version of the racebox?

I had thought of using translucent fiberglass panels with alloy angle but would it be strong enough to withstand towing slipstream? Also would I have to fill the floor in? And what about ramps - should I replace them with a door/ramp?

It would be attractive if I could sleep in it too - B&B is getting pretty expensive on a regular basis.

Would appreciate your thoughts chaps

PS Should I incorporate a bench and vice too or am I getting silly now

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GazzaP

posted on 20/6/06 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
I was looking at doing this to but with ally instead and having like two opening doors on the back so i could still use the original ramps. I was going to cover the floor with the marine ply.

www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk

ned

posted on 20/6/06 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
ply on the floor, simple frame and ally panel over (could even use a trashed luton van ala the book )
other option is a half height frame and then make a fitted tarpaulin with bungies onto hooks round the sides.

as for b&b why not just buy a cheap tent and a camping fridge/kettle?!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lsdweb

posted on 20/6/06 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
v8kid

Mine is a converted Ifor Williams trailer. It's done in aluminium rivetted to an ally frame that's been tig welded and rivetted.

Lookslike this

I can take some more pictures if you want? I didn't build however so cant' help much!

I'm planning on fitting a removal bunk/hammock as it's got to be a lot better than sleeping in the car or a tent!

Regards

Wyn

David Jenkins

posted on 20/6/06 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
I have seen trailers with fairly low sides (30cm or so) with steel hoops that are just higher than the top of the car - roughly the same height as the wheel carrier at the front.

This all had a tarp over it, held down with ratchet straps. By the time it was all lashed down the tarp was as taut as a drum! Certainly no way it was going to flap in the breeze.

Would certainly be cheaper and lighter than solid sides.

David

andyharding

posted on 20/6/06 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC there was one for sale at Newark for £1500

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

omega 24 v6

posted on 20/6/06 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
I've debated this before with the BIL for the hotrod race car. I favoured the idea as per David Jenkins but I thought that it should be centrally mounted/pivoted like a pram hood but in two directions i.e middle to front and middle to rear. I've seen the Dastle boxes and thought they looked mighty heavy (only thought I don't know for certain)
The brian James race box is a nice bit of kit as well.
My idea about the pram setup was originally formed because a severely (sp) damaged car would need to be loaded using a forklift, or many hands on approach. Not so easy to do if the whole thing is rigidly boxed in.

Oh and keep it as low as possible for wind drag and fuel economy.

[Edited on 20/6/06 by omega 24 v6]

v8kid

posted on 21/6/06 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
I never thought about getting the car on a covered trailer if I wiped out a corner - jolly good point.

Wyn what size of angle is supporting the ally sheet and what centers are they at?

lsdweb

posted on 21/6/06 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
v8kid

I'll take some measurements and photos tomorrow for you.

Regards

WYn

lsdweb

posted on 24/6/06 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hi V8Kid

I've uploaded two photos to my archive which shold show you how it's put together.

Here and here

Tom Beattie

posted on 24/6/06 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
How about getting hold of an old caravan (plenty on the go for a couple of hundred quid), strip out the interior, alter rear end to make doors, it will need additional framing to provide strength in the rear section, but towing electrics brakes etc already in place. looks like areasonably easy conversion really.
Peteff

posted on 24/6/06 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
The caravan suspension will be designed to carry the weight of the caravan plus luggage, you will be pushing it with a vehicle included in the equation.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Syd Bridge

posted on 26/6/06 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
(could even use a trashed luton van ala the book )
Ned.

Now that's worthy of second thought! Had never occurred to me before.

Most Luton bodies have a 'chassis' underneath that attaches to the vehicle chassis.

All it would need is an A frame type thing with the axles attached. Or, at worst, a couple of longitudinals as well.
Good idea Ned, I'll file that one away for the future.

Plenty of unused Lutons about, going for a few beers.

Cheers,
Syd.

v8kid

posted on 27/6/06 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks wynn I had a good look round the paddock this weekend (might as well my times were well off for some reason) and I'll copy yours but substitute translucent fiberglass sheet for ally. You know one of those weekends where I havent bent the car or am not trying to fit the latest "unfair advantage" or even when there is no sprints or hillclimbs on.

Its a hard life!!!

David

lsdweb

posted on 27/6/06 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi David

If you need more photos and measurements please let me know.

I guess it'll be one of those jobs that gets pushed down the list of priorities! You can tell from my pictures that I have new wheel arches to fit and I want to cover the entire floor (make it more cosy!) but I haven't finished the car and the season has half gone!

Regards

Wyn

[Edited on 27/6/06 by lsdweb]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.