Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: oil pressure query & temps
skidude88

posted on 21/6/06 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
oil pressure query & temps

Back from LeMans....

Anyone any idea or hazard a guess as to what the oil pressure should be on a CBR1000FJ at 6.6-7k (70mph).

Cruising we spent most the time at that rev range with the DD1 maxing out a 140psi (I've just discovered that the sensor maxes out at that - At the time I thought it was relief valve keeping the engine below 140)

Oil pressure would go down to 118-123 and then back up to 140

What pressure should the relief valve - relieve itself at?

Could anyone tell me in laymans (LeMans?) terms how that all should work?

Water temp was 86-89 blighty side (cooler air temp) and 95 whilst over there and back
(apart from on track <gulp>

Oil temp was around 120degs

On the return trip, backing off to 5k, pressure was hovering under 80.

I had just about every warning light flashing at me through out the trip there and back.

I figured it was that the alarm parameters needed tweaking on the DD , and I'd just keep going until I saw smoke/steam or stopped out right.

A rather eventful jaunt down....

Had (oil) smoke on the M1 heading down (head cover bolt sheared itself off)

Then spent Friday afternoon parked up fixing a sheared clutch cylinder mounting - on the Mulsanne - so never made lunch at Arnage )

Which probably all saved the engine from boiling over anyway, being stuck in traffic while the ACO put up a sign on the Mulsanne - Water hit 118 degs just before the clutch packed up - discovered later that the fan had stopped working.

Oh,and had a strange problem with the DigiDash reading screwy values when Fan is on, but that one’s for the lecy forum and ETB have been emailed.

All made for a very stress free holiday!!!

I wasn't aware of any probs before I :-

A) Changing dash and fitting DD1 (ignorance is bliss)

B) Chopping Sump

C) Having to fit a higher diff (gone from 3.14-3.62) , so I s'pose @ 70 I'm crusing at higher revs.

Cheers for any info

James.

[Edited on 21/6/06 by skidude88]

furyblade35

posted on 22/6/06 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
The variations in readings when the fan is on or off is simply earthing.

You need to have a good ground point for all your high current kit like fans. If not then the fan will pull current and the ground floats. If the DD1 is connected to that ground point it's ground will effectively not be the ground where the sensors are connected to the engine...if that makes sense to you..

So..

Make sure all your grounds are good and preferably all meet at the -ve battery terninal!

Make sure the engine is grounded well to the battery -ve ternimnal.

Al.

skidude88

posted on 22/6/06 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Al,

John @ ETB got back to me, suggesting the same.

I've rang it out (a couple of times) and it seems to be showing dead short. I'll connect the DD direct to bat -ve anyway, and see what happens.

I was hoping to do it last night, but ended up chatting to next-door neighbour

Oil pressures and stuff all seem to be a bit of a mystery.

furyblade35

posted on 23/6/06 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
Check you have a good engine ground also.

As for the alarms. They are there to help but can easily all be turned off so you can work through them.

Then you can get settings that suit your car and you are happy with.

Your oil pressure readings are way off I would say. You need to take a closer look at those. What engine have you got in ?
As an example, 3000 rom on a warm blade engine, 50-60psi and on my busa 40-50psi.

Oil temps, well on my blade cars I ran 130 degC,

On my busa cars I tried to reduce those to around 90-100 with an oil cooler.

On hot days though my race cars would always push the limits so I had a configuration file to load onto the dash that would push the alarm settings up, but still tell me if something has gone wrong.

The alarms are there for the user but can be turned off at anytime.

Hope this helps.

Al.

skidude88

posted on 23/6/06 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers

.... I've got an oil rad, they've put it behind the water rad! (not ideal - taking in the warm air from main rad???)

Running a CBR1000F-J

Like you say, its great having the alarms, but if you've no Idea what pressures and temps should be in the 1st place, they become a bit meaningless.

I was guessing 140+ psi weren't right!!

Water temp I think is about right - 86-95 degs when on the move around 7ks. Plus it
gets all messy around the Rad when it gets in the 120's - soon shoots up with no fan or if you forget!

We were wondering if the high temps were due to lack of heat escaping the engine compartment, so we propped up the bonnet, so there was a gap at the scuttle end, to help let heat out. Difficult to tell if that helped as the journey after that wasn't at a constant speed.

Just as well we're not planning any trips to Mongolia within the next couple of weeks then

[Edited on 23/6/06 by skidude88]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.