Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Windscreen Fabrication
MustangSix

posted on 27/4/03 at 01:51 AM Reply With Quote
Windscreen Fabrication

Who among you have actually done this? My car is 4" wider than book and I guess I'll have to do this myself.

I understand the method for bending the top portion, but how do you bend the lower inverse curve?

Also, what do you use to seal between scuttle and the windscreen? Is there a commonly availble rubber extrusion?

Peteff

posted on 27/4/03 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Leave it flat.

We made one for a standard scuttle but never used it. Too much hassle sorting glass. Our idea was to leave the bottom flat and use a piece of ally profiled to fill the gap to avoid complicating it. You could use ordinary "U" channel on the ally to fill any minor gaps.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

chrisg

posted on 27/4/03 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Don't get me started!!

EVENTUALLY I did the same as Pete i.e flat accross the bottom with an ally infill piece. The curved bit at the bottom really caused me problems as a stress point. I had FIVE (count'em) crack from the same point, bottom corner.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

theconrodkid

posted on 27/4/03 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
i did mine dead easy,cut a peice of plywood to the shape of the glass complete with bottom curve,make a frame round ply,take ply to glasscutters and get screen made,glue screen in place

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Alan B

posted on 27/4/03 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
i did mine dead easy,cut a peice of plywood to the shape of the glass complete with bottom curve,make a frame round ply,take ply to glasscutters and get screen made,glue screen in place

Yep, agreed....I didn't know there were any other ways....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 27/4/03 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
well chrisg obviously found another way

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

chrisg

posted on 27/4/03 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Are you deliberately misunderstnding?

I'll come round and slap your legs!!

I'll type this slowly for the hard of thinking.

WHEN THE SCREEN WAS FITTED IT BROKE.

Although the glass cutter broke three himself.

how did you think I got my screen? - described it to him over the phone and got it through the post?

jeez.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

locodude

posted on 27/4/03 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Time of the month is it Mr G?

chrisg

posted on 27/4/03 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
You still here?

Cheers

Chris

stephen_gusterson

posted on 27/4/03 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
You can apparently get glass cut by people like autoglass windscreens.

Complete with the vital emark.

I was gonna have my frame chromed. I got a quote and it was 200 quid!!!!!!

So, its chrome paint, or au naturel.

atb

steve

btw

the really big b and q stores do 1 and 2 mtrs lengths of various steel, alu and brass strip, rhs and channel.

[Edited on 27/4/03 by stephen_gusterson]

MustangSix

posted on 28/4/03 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
So, none of you has any good advise on how to bend the lower portion of the frame?

Northy

posted on 28/4/03 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
The pictures in the Tiger Avon book show no surround at the bottom, just the rubber strip.

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flyingkiwi

posted on 29/4/03 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Like theconrodkid said, make a plywood frame to the size of the windscreen you want, along with the curve at the bottom to follow the scuttle. Bend the top half of the ali around the plywood (help's to get ply of the same width as the ali channel!) using the method in the book, then to do the bottom curve using a smooth rubber, nylon or wood mallet. This should form the ali channel into the curve. Then just cut the ends of the channel to suit the upper section. Voila!

chris

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.