Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: donar advice needed
theohighland

posted on 2/7/06 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
donar advice needed

sorry to ask the same old question, but i am building a book chassis, but have a 2.0l dohc engine from a sierra donor.

Can anyone please tell me what problems i will have, and/or any other alternative engine and gearbox set ups that will fit with little or no modification to the chassis?

Sorry to be a nuisance but i'm new to the game!

jamesbond007ltk

posted on 2/7/06 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
The ford DOHC is a very good engine. it is built really solid and can take a lot of revs. Twin cams are the size of small tree trunks!

Biggest problem with the engine is that there are hardly any performance parts for it. Although, as standard they put out 125BHP (120 with CAT), so should shift pretty well. Its also lighter than a pinto due to having aluminium parts.

An other issue is with the fuel/ignition system. Should you choose to use the stock injection system (which is very good, weber fuel rail, fuel press reg. etc) you will have to be concious of the placing of the various sensors the engine needs, such as the MAP sensor.

If you do use the injection system would recoomend changing the injectors. I think it uses green as stock, would advise getting a set of grey injectors, as used on cossie.

Would recommend using a type 9 gearbox rather than the MT75 that the DOHC used in the Sierra.

As far as modifications to the chassis are concerned, the best advice i can give you is to build that chassis around the engine and box. Stick as close to the standard chassis as possible but move/add bars as needed. Do not have any less triangulation though.

Hope this helps

Rich

natehall

posted on 3/7/06 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jamesbond007ltk
The ford DOHC is a very good engine. it is built really solid and can take a lot of revs. Twin cams are the size of small tree trunks!

Biggest problem with the engine is that there are hardly any performance parts for it. Although, as standard they put out 125BHP (120 with CAT), so should shift pretty well. Its also lighter than a pinto due to having aluminium parts.

An other issue is with the fuel/ignition system. Should you choose to use the stock injection system (which is very good, weber fuel rail, fuel press reg. etc) you will have to be concious of the placing of the various sensors the engine needs, such as the MAP sensor.

If you do use the injection system would recoomend changing the injectors. I think it uses green as stock, would advise getting a set of grey injectors, as used on cossie.

Would recommend using a type 9 gearbox rather than the MT75 that the DOHC used in the Sierra.

As far as modifications to the chassis are concerned, the best advice i can give you is to build that chassis around the engine and box. Stick as close to the standard chassis as possible but move/add bars as needed. Do not have any less triangulation though.

Hope this helps

Rich

I dont think the cossie injectors are compatible with the stock injectors. iirc the cosworth ones are high impedance and the twinky (DOHC) ones are low impedance, meaning you would then need to start playing with other electrical things

If it aint broke, uprate it
if it is broke, uprate it

http://www.modders-uk.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theohighland

posted on 3/7/06 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks very much guys, thats really helpful.

One more question though, does the type 9 geabok fit straight onto the dohc engin, as i have the MT75 at the moment?

Thanks again
Theo

natehall

posted on 3/7/06 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theohighland
Thanks very much guys, thats really helpful.

One more question though, does the type 9 geabok fit straight onto the dohc engin, as i have the MT75 at the moment?

Thanks again
Theo

yes it will do

and i dont blame you for the swap - the type 9 has so much of abetter gearchange than the MT75

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
natehall

posted on 3/7/06 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
forgot to mention

you may possible have to source the correct clutch combination, i think you need a type9 release bearing with the MT75 clutch

theohighland

posted on 3/7/06 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
ok cool, thats brilliant thanks,

so how much taller is the dohc engine than others? am i going to be struggling to see over the top of my bonnet?

Also, does the type 9 gearbox fit the transmission tunnel in the book chassis?

Cheers, Theo

jamesbond007ltk

posted on 3/7/06 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure if the type 9 fits the book tranny tunnel. I built my tunnel with the gearbox and engine in the car. Pretty tight clearances onthe box and bellhousing but still plenty of leg/foot room.

Would still recommend you build the tunnel around the box. you will still be able to remove it but it will allow you to maximise the space.

As far as height is concerened i have a feeling that the DOHC is actually shorter than the pinto. It it certainly no taller, especially as there is nothing any higher that the EFI system. It more of a width problem than heigh due to the curve of aa seven nose cone.

jamesbond007ltk

posted on 3/7/06 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Plus if you do away with the efi and go for twin sidedraughts the engine will be no taller that the rocker cover breather pipe!
theohighland

posted on 3/7/06 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
good news then, fortunately i havent put in the tunnel yet so im ok.

Can u suggest anywhere i might be able to get sidedraughts as i'm not too hot on my ford engines yet, still learning!!!

cheers, Theo

jamesbond007ltk

posted on 3/7/06 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hve a look on ebay.

Would recommend Twin Weber DCOE's.

Ideally 45's but 40's will do the job with 34mm chokes. Don't bother with 48's on a 2.0L it will not give you any more power or torque. You will then have to find a manifold for them. I got mine from peter Lloyd Rallying. They do mail order on 01656 724777.

However, i would hold back on buying your manifold and filters until the chassis is well built up. The filters and manifold come in different lengths so to make sure you get the right size be patient and wait!

scotty g

posted on 12/7/06 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
If you use the DOHC fly wheel with a type9 box you will have to shave 9 or 10mm off the flywheel is its bally hefty. Type9 box should fit in the tunnel with no problems.
I would stick with the MT75 box, it is a bit bigger but is generally considered stronger and smoother. Plus it comes with the DOHC anyway.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.