Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Good place to buy tools?
greggors84

posted on 6/7/06 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Good place to buy tools?

Where is a good place to buy tools from?

I have mostly halfords professional stuff as i get it cheap and it has a lifetime guaranty but they dont do much imperial stuff and i need a few bits specificly. Mainly a long ball head 5mm hex 3/8" drive.
Also i wouldnt mind a new roll cab, but the new halfords stuff is meant to be rubbish.

My local motor factors just sell cheap rubbish.

What about online? Or is it not worth it because of postage costs.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

stevec

posted on 6/7/06 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Good value stuff from here amongst others that will follow.
http://www.cromwell.co.uk/category?code=030803

joneh

posted on 6/7/06 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
I use toolstation.

Lawnmower

posted on 6/7/06 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
I have got some halfords professional tools - seem very well made!

try machinemart for a roller cab- they have a shop here n gloucester so you can try before you buy. IIRC they have about 3 different standards for the cabinets (red/yellow/black?)

screwfix is ok for some tools, but for random/odd/imperial tools then I think Frosts has the best variety.

on further inspection frosts doesnt seem to have much in the way of sockets. btw I got my imperial ratchet spanners and sockets from halfords

[Edited on 6/7/06 by Lawnmower]

owelly

posted on 6/7/06 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a Halfrauds tool chest. Its a big heavy black thing that has all the things I need. It's from the 'Industrial' range.
I got it for £100 because it has a small dent in it and I haggled. It was 'sposed to be £240ish IIRC. Then I dented it some more getting it in the garage!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MkIndy7

posted on 7/7/06 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
If you have a NVQ that has Mechanical mentioned in it then you can get a Halfords trade card, usually good for 10% or more off the Professional range of tools.

And Consumable items as well e.g Fan belts usually about £3.50 trade price £1.80!, Dashboard bulb usually £1.50 trade price 58p! Crazy!!!

owelly

posted on 7/7/06 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
really?? Thats good to know. I'll have to dig out my 'Not very Qualified' certificates. What do they knock off for a HND??

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
raccoonradar

posted on 7/7/06 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
can't fault halfords professional some good suff & i second the halford trade card, service bits are so cheap with it, oil & filter for about £10, not all things are under it though , i needed a front reg plate, it was classed as 'touring' ??? not seen many caravan's/trailers with front reg plates ?
Lawnmower

posted on 7/7/06 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a CSCS card (crappy construction industry card - engineer) wonder if I couyld blag it with that?

Have Blagged student discounts with it before....

MkIndy7

posted on 7/7/06 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Think prety much anything with Engineer in it will do,

Mines a Mechanical Maintainance Services NVQ (Heating and Ventilation) but just showed them the mechanial eliment and managed to blag it

Worth a try if nothing else,

greggors84

posted on 10/7/06 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thats how i get the halfords stuff cheap!

I did a placement at Nissan last year and took in my payslip although i worked in an office all day long, they still gave me a trade card. Apparently i could have got one if i proved i was doing automotive engineering though!

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

ned

posted on 10/7/06 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
I've bought from a raft of places online, normally making sure I've seen what I want elsewhere in the flesh or it is a manfacturer I am confident in their products quality.

machine mart, screwfix, ebay, toolstation, tooled-up, lawson-his and others I've probably forgotten..

beware, I've got yellow skin

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.