Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: vernier make much difference?
robbydee

posted on 6/7/06 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
vernier make much difference?

currently hava a modded pinto fr33 etc, i do have an adjustable vernier fitted but its never been set, how much difference am i likely to see if i get this done exact? is it easy to do?
nitram38

posted on 6/7/06 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Standard verniers can be a few degrees out and can equal lost power.
If you fitted your own, then it should have come with a dial gauge.
I haven't done one for about 20 years, but I am sure someone will be along to tell you how to set it up.
If you have one fitted, it will be worth making sure that it is correct because a badly fitted one could be worse than a standard cam wheel.

cadebytiger

posted on 6/7/06 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
The best thing to do i found was to find out how far open the inlet show be at TDC and then use a dial gauge to set it. setting a number of degrees on the crank is very hard to get accurate esspecially if the engine is fitted!

Rupert

mark chandler

posted on 6/7/06 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Definately worth doing.

For fast road use you set the cam between 5 - 7 degrees advanced (recommended unles you sit at 6000rpm all day), this should give up more mid range. For max power at high rev's set it up at TDC.

All you need is a dial gauge and a vernier timing wheel (or a bit of card and devide it into degrees).

The cam when set to TDC means that both valves open the same amount when the engine is at TDC, ie the inlet is partially open while the exhaust is partially shut, advanced is the inlet open a little bit more, obvious really.

It not really practical to measure valve lift due to the opening an closing flanks on the cam so attach the the timing disc to the crank, find TDC and zero it.

You then measure the cam lift for a pair of lobes pick a point halve way open, note the degrees and roll the enngine until the valve its halfway shut, halve the distance and you have the valve at peak opening.

Do this for both inlet and exhaust and on your timing disc you should have three points, TDC, max inlet lift and max exhaust lift.

The best way to set the cam timing is now to revolve the engine until you both valves are equally open (devide the distance between the cam lobes centres), then release the vernier and turn the crank until its either TDC or a 5-7 degrees advanced (depends where you want max torque/power) then lock the vernier. Job done.

Ignore markings on the vernier, your marks on the card should be 100% accurate, the vernier may not be !

I hope that makes sense, been on the wine !

Regards Mark

[Edited on 6/7/06 by mark chandler]

02GF74

posted on 7/7/06 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler

All you need is a dial gauge and a vernier timing wheel (or a bit of card and devide it into degrees).

I've got a file that can be printed off to do this, .pdf I think. If you need one, I will look for it, may not be able to find it though so no promises....

andyharding

posted on 7/7/06 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
The correct way to setup your cam is to put a dial gauge on the #1 inlet valve and find the point exactly 1/2 way between the start and end of maxiumum lift. Once this has been found loosen the vernier off and adjust the crank (use a degree wheel) to the figure given by the cam manufacturer.

P.S. check your crank pulley TDC mark is actually at TDC.

[Edited on 7/7/06 by andyharding]

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.