Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Windscreen moulding?
RazMan

posted on 10/7/06 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Windscreen moulding?

I've now fitted my windscreen in my middy but there is an untidy edge / gap where the glass meets the grp recess. I could fill this gap with PU adhesive but I would like to find a more elegant solution.
Is there some kind of moulding strip that would go round the unfinished edge to tidy it up? Rescued attachment windscreen edge.jpg
Rescued attachment windscreen edge.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Tangerine Scream

posted on 10/7/06 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Anything here useful?
Linky

Cheers
Steve

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 10/7/06 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
or here?

CHROME TRIM SELF ADHESIVE???
NEW SIZE CHROME TRIM SELF ADHESIVE???

http://www.nfauto.co.uk/rubber_trim.htm

[Edited on 10.07.2006 by Humbug]

RazMan

posted on 10/7/06 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys - I had already scoured Woolies for something but their windscreen edging is for bonding to the glass before putting the glass in (doh!)

The chrome edging from cbs is a bit more like it and the narrower stuff might do the trick - I'll try and blag a sample and see if it fits.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

MkIndy7

posted on 10/7/06 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
If you can get a knife blade imbetween PU adhesive you can get it off quite easy.
Then you just have to clean the rest off of both sides, i think Flash Dash worked quite well.

Thats if you did decide to go the rubber route which would probably be the best way to stop wind noise and water getting in.

DIY Si

posted on 10/7/06 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Would it be possible to use a mini windscreen surround? Might mean pulling the screen though, but should make it easier to fit/remove in the future.
RazMan

posted on 10/7/06 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
If I was a bit more organised I would have looked at the mouldings before I put the screen in. There is no way it's coming out now as I used the proper 3 part bonding goo that the replacement glass agents use - very permanent

Cheers,
Raz

RazMan

posted on 10/7/06 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MkIndy7
Thats if you did decide to go the rubber route which would probably be the best way to stop wind noise and water getting in.

I'm not worried about water getting in - there is a good solid 25mm band of goo holding everything together. Good point about wind noise though

Cheers,
Raz

DIY Si

posted on 10/7/06 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'd say it's probably best to remove the screen and do it again. Might involve lots of swearing, but it'll look much better in the end.
RazMan

posted on 10/7/06 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
I'd say it's probably best to remove the screen and do it again. Might involve lots of swearing, but it'll look much better in the end.

Nooooooooooo I dare not!!
The screen was made in Bulgaria and cost me £400 !! It definitely stays ...... sod the wind noise

Cheers,
Raz

DIY Si

posted on 10/7/06 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Fair enough. £400 for a window!? Was it made in a shop with really big windows so they could see you coming?
ady8077

posted on 10/7/06 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I used a transit moulding to finish off the screen of my Stylus, it is supposed to be fitted to the screen before its bonded but we couldn't get it to sit right. We trimed the back instead and glued it on afterwards, been on 2 years now no probs

Adrian

RazMan

posted on 10/7/06 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
Fair enough. £400 for a window!? Was it made in a shop with really big windows so they could see you coming?

Didn't think they had windows in Bulgaria

It's a custom made jobbie made to a drawing - nice but the price stings a bit.

Cheers,
Raz

RazMan

posted on 10/7/06 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ady8077
Hi

I used a transit moulding to finish off the screen of my Stylus, it is supposed to be fitted to the screen before its bonded but we couldn't get it to sit right. We trimed the back instead and glued it on afterwards, been on 2 years now no probs

Adrian

That sounds more like it! have you got any dimensions or pics Adrian? I assume you used a new one from a Ford dealer?

Cheers,
Raz

ady8077

posted on 10/7/06 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Windscrren man had it in his van, i've attatched a crappy pic i had on pc, let me no if you want a better one

Adrian Rescued attachment window rubber.jpg
Rescued attachment window rubber.jpg

MkIndy7

posted on 10/7/06 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh, think i've seen another donor for that rubber.

It looks like the ones used on Fiesta's when they have airbags. (Mk3.5 at least)

The screen is bonded in and then that trim covers the gap.
They might all be like that but presume it would be a conventional rubber on non Airbag cars.

I did get Quoted £49 for the rubber alone! needless to say I was fully comp at the time and it slipped out of my hands oops

RazMan

posted on 10/7/06 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, it might be worth having a word with a screen replacement company then. I can't quite make out the complete shape so a better pic would help a lot. Also a cross section of the shape would be great if possible.

Cheers,
Raz

RazMan

posted on 10/7/06 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MkIndy7
Ahh, think i've seen another donor for that rubber.

It looks like the ones used on Fiesta's when they have airbags. (Mk3.5 at least)

The screen is bonded in and then that trim covers the gap.
They might all be like that but presume it would be a conventional rubber on non Airbag cars.

I did get Quoted £49 for the rubber alone! needless to say I was fully comp at the time and it slipped out of my hands oops

Blimey, looks like the local scrappy might be a better bet

Cheers,
Raz

MkIndy7

posted on 10/7/06 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Think a raid down your local scrappers might be your best bet.

You can get rubber replenishing spray (think the stuff I got was made by STP in a bright yellow pump top bottle) that helps restore old rubber seals, made mine look like new worth every penny!

Just go and have a nosy one day when the sun's shineing

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.