Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MIG welder recommendation
ironside

posted on 10/7/06 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
MIG welder recommendation

Hello,

Looking for a budget MIG welder recommendation. I can count on one hand the number of times I have welded prior to this project. So I don't want something that will be difficult to learn on.

I've had a look through previous posts and see NS Dev recommended these two:

150T ERP Mig welder

Sealey Supermig 150

Any others? What's opinion on using a Dual Purpose or Gasless MIG?

Thanks,
Simon

ned

posted on 10/7/06 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
no first hand experience but everywhere i've heard stay away from gasless as they're rubbish.

I've got a clarke 160t and would happily recommend it, has done all my chassis with ease and is quite easy to setup.

Ned.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/IMG_0795.jpg

[Edited on 10/7/06 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
birdii

posted on 10/7/06 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
I have got the 150 ERP from Weld UK, very happy with it so far and a good company to deal with. They sell and refill C02 bottles at quite a competetive rate.
quinnj3

posted on 10/7/06 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
hi i'd recommend the sealey welder. I got one for this project a 195 sealey supermig in a half price sale. Excellent welder easy to use. If you aren't in a hurry shop around and keep looking out for special offers there are massive savings to be had sealey reguarly put on special offers on a variety of tools so keep an eye out.

my aim is to build my own locost wether it takes me a week or 10 years to get started, i'm sure i will sometime

britishtrident

posted on 10/7/06 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Gasless has specific uses --- ie welding outside.

It can actually produce a decent weld but needs a clean with decent wire brush after every run.

John Bonnett

posted on 13/7/06 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
My advice would be not to buy a DIY welder. The main problem with MIG is its ability to feed the wire at a constant regulated speed. As with most tools it is best to buy the best that you can afford and it will repay you with years of reliable service. I think all of the welders mentioned by previous writers would fall into the professional category and probably a minimum of 160 Amps is what you should look for. Also go with a make that has an established reputation in this country and one that has a network of sevice centres. I was lured into buying an entry level model and really regretted it.

John

Sabre

posted on 13/7/06 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
migs

Hi imo go with a sealey have had the same one for ten years now and have welded car bodies and lorries too with no probs + most motor factors have tips n shrouds in stock to fit these
Paul

ironside

posted on 13/7/06 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks a lot for you thoughts all,

The comments about not buying a DIY welder were exactly what I was worrying about. Buying something that costs £100 and paying for it in hassle afterwards.

I'm going to pop by my local machine mart too, they have some Sealey ones in stock and will probably tolerate some more silly questions to get a sale.

Simon

ned

posted on 13/7/06 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Machine mart generally only stock clarke models (their own brand) but I'm happy to be wrong. As far as parts/spares go then clarke will be at your local machine mart and from experience one of your local motor factors will probably have some sealey bits.

cheers,

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 13/7/06 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine has the ERP from Welduk, they are quite local to us and he has been pleased with his for over a year now.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

NS Dev

posted on 14/7/06 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ironside
Thanks a lot for you thoughts all,

The comments about not buying a DIY welder were exactly what I was worrying about. Buying something that costs £100 and paying for it in hassle afterwards.

I'm going to pop by my local machine mart too, they have some Sealey ones in stock and will probably tolerate some more silly questions to get a sale.

Simon

Hi,

just a quick note, the sealey and ERP machines are essentially just the same, ERP are cheaper as they are imported "nameless" from the same factory in italy that does the sealey ones.

Both good machines, more robust than Clarke or SIP equivalents. (I have used both!)

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

lexi

posted on 14/7/06 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
You can get the genuine Telwin item of which they are all badged copies of from Northern Tools. I think they were doing a non Euro torch version of the 180 Amp last time I looked for £240.
Alex

John Bonnett

posted on 18/7/06 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Telwin TIG and when it went wrong, it had to be returned to Italy for repair with a £45 carriage charge and 6 week turn-round time. This was bought from Wholesale Welding who are the main UK importers. Hence my advice in an earlier post to buy a make that is fully supported in the UK if that is where you live.

John

ironside

posted on 27/10/06 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a Clarke 160EN MIG during my local Machine Mart's VAT free night. It's a dual purpose one which I thought was a good idea.

I think I've made a mistake though, I've just been unpacking it just now and discovered that the manual states it requires a 15amp plug, not a standard domestic 13amp one.

I'll probably take it back - is this requirement the same for all the 150/160amp welders (Sealey/ERP etc?) MM have another VAT free day on Sunday so I was going to return it and buy the 130EN dual purpose one which works on domestic juice.

The 130EN only has 4 power settings rather than the 6 on the 160EN and is obviously lower powered too - is this likely to cause me problems?

Cheers,
Simon.

Peteff

posted on 27/10/06 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
It will run on a standard 13amp plug, don't worry about it. You might blow a fuse when you run it on full power if your wire sticks otherwise you should be fine.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

lexi

posted on 27/10/06 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Bonnett
I have a Telwin TIG and when it went wrong, it had to be returned to Italy for repair with a £45 carriage charge and 6 week turn-round time. This was bought from Wholesale Welding who are the main UK importers. Hence my advice in an earlier post to buy a make that is fully supported in the UK if that is where you live.

John

Fair comment John. I can understand a Tig machine being so involved in sorting but would think most Migs can be fixed at Uk concessionaires. One thing about Sip is you can get their service dept on the phone and I even ordered some little bits from them direct. You can keep those machines going.
Alex

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.