Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Ron Champion and/or McSorley 7+442 in SolidWorks?
sforma

posted on 11/7/06 at 03:22 AM Reply With Quote
Ron Champion and/or McSorley 7+442 in SolidWorks?

Hello everyone,

Any of you guys have the chassi from Ron and/or McSorley 7+442 in SolidWorks.

I want to put it in cosmos for some test and maybe some variations in the chassi.

This is the first stage of my approximation to the Locost World, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

sforma

[Edited on 11/7/06 by sforma]

Gav

posted on 11/7/06 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
When i get the time i intend to do this too/

Need mr Flakmonkey back at uni so i can badger him over msn on how to go about it

[Edited on 11/7/06 by Gav]

KENLUDE97

posted on 28/7/06 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hello,

I'm in the progress of doing a McSorley 7+442 (with 1-1/4" ) tubing instead of the 1". I'm about 90% of the way drawn. I will be adding some additional braces x members and such. I will be using a GM 3800 Supercharged in my potential build so i wanted a stronger chassis.

I drawing it in Pro-Engineer, let me know what format you need it in and maybe i can send it too you when completed?

Ken

[Edited on 7/28/06 by KENLUDE97]

Phoenix-one

posted on 12/1/07 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Did anybody actually finish this? otherwise I shall have to have a go putting the 7+442 into solidworks.

Gav

Gav

posted on 12/1/07 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
ive been too busy so ive not evan started.

KENLUDE97

posted on 12/1/07 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
This is what i have in Pro-engineer Wildfire 2.0

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/KENLUDE97/Locost/mc7_442-1-25_1.jpg?t=1168635272[/img]

jack trolley

posted on 13/1/07 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote

daKlone

posted on 22/1/07 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
I just started in SolidWorks 2006...and have already run into problems.

In order to get the major dimensions to work out on the bottom frame, I've had to tweak C (885mm), D1/2 (634mm), E (366mm), F1/2 (1059mm).

This still makes the dimension between the ends of F1 and F2 184mm rather than 155mm.

I've checked all the angles and drafts, overall length and distance between rails and everything measures right...I'm stumped!

dK

Winter is coming...

Bob C

posted on 22/1/07 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
A couple of years ago I got a solidworks fairly complete chassis from someone on here & set to work grafting my IRS onto it. It didn't fit because the chassis was a +442. And now I think I've slung all the files. So yes there is something out there & no I don't have it or know where it is.......
sorry
Bob

Chr!S

posted on 23/1/07 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
I've done a +4 in solidworks. When i get back down to home from uni ill pick it up on USB for you...

It have dimensions / relations and formulea too. I did it as part of a solidworks tutorial for a design project so its got step by steps somewhere too if I can find them

chrisf

posted on 24/1/07 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
I still have the file/s that BobC is talking about. Email if interested.

--Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bob C

posted on 24/1/07 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris - I thought I just sent you the back quarter - did I really send the full chassis?
Bob

chrisf

posted on 24/1/07 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Bob:

I have the whole thing. I think your bother did it ages ago, no? Do you want me to send it to you?

--Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bob C

posted on 24/1/07 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
the one my brother did was autocad3d, booksize (& incomplete...) - just one file; the +4" solidworks one was dozens of files....
Bob

supermaaneuh

posted on 29/1/07 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Hello, I'm a newbie from France, and I'm actually working on a locost, I bought the Ron champion bible and I will certainly buy the Avon one... I'm a CAD designer and I want to design the chassis and all the other parts to verify kinematics and structure to upgrade it if necessary (and just for fun)...
I'm very interesting in IGES files or other format to begin (it's easier to modify than to create)...if it's possible, can you send me what you got, and when I'll have mine I'll send you
I've so many questions, Hope I will find all the answers on this forum, thanks for your futur help!!

and sorry for my english

flak monkey

posted on 29/1/07 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
If you look on my website there is a book chassis in IGES format free to download from the CAD section. You should be able to open that in solidworks or any other 3d cad program you have access to.

Cheers,
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

supermaaneuh

posted on 29/1/07 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
thank you so much!!!
what a better mean to start for me...
I start this month and as soon as I have something, I send it to you!

seventhheaven

posted on 1/9/11 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
I'll have a look

I modelled the first McSorley 442 but not the '+' or version F. A lot of the dimensions turned out to be very approxiamate, so tubes were placed best guess.

I got a mate of mine to do some FEA (Finite Element Analysis) on the original chassis to check it's strength out and his opinion was that it would be fine for small/medium engines and power but lacked the triangulation for high power. I asked him whether thicker tubing would help and the answer was 'no', in fact thicker tubes put more stress on the joints and caused them to 'work harden' and fracture more quickly.

I'll have a dig for the files at the weekend - my laptop did die a while back and AutoCad is currently giving me grief after an update. - but I'll still look.

I'm putting 4wd and a tuned Rover V8 4.2lt in mine, so I've completely redesigned the chassis with much more triangulation. At a casual glance the McSorley and mine look a bit similar but in fact mine has barely two tubes parallel, which has increased strength dramatically.
I'm also building another non-haynes roadster looking build, that will get a completely new chassis. This will have Nissan Skyline 4wd and Supercharged Jaguar V8 (400+bhp).

See http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/Plans

4wd 3.9 Rover V8 Locost 7 - Super 7th Heaven

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.