Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto cam or head change
jamesbond007ltk

posted on 11/7/06 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto cam or head change

My car is currently powered by a 1600 pinto with twin 40's. I want more power but am going to have to stick with 1600 to prevent the insurance companies creeping up behind me, pulling down my trousers and....

Anyway, i have read that putting a cam from a 2.0 into the existing 1.6 head will make some difference due to the cam profiles.

However, seeing as my head is not suited for unleaded petrol i am considering swapping the head for a 2.0. The question i have is, will a 2.0 head fit on my 1600 block? Is it worth doing?

Cheers

Rich

mookaloid

posted on 11/7/06 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
I would invest in a fast road cam from kent cams or piper, then do a bit of DIY porting on your current head,

The cams come up on ebay fairly often for not much money.

Cheers

Mark

roadboy

posted on 11/7/06 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
I'm fairly sure the 2.0 head will have a larger combustion chamber hence lowering the CR & reducing performance
Regds
Ian

Jude Performance Services

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyharding

posted on 11/7/06 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Changing for the 2L head will lower the CR and you will lose power.

A Piper 285 cam will give you a reasonable gain. I would couple this with porting, polishing and skimming to take the CR up to 10.5:1 on the head you have. Don't worry about the unleaded Pinto heads are rock hard.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

andyharding

posted on 11/7/06 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
The "how to make my Pinto go faster" question comes up a lot. Mark: do you fancy putting an article on carbuilders.info about Pinto tuning?

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

mookaloid

posted on 11/7/06 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyharding
The "how to make my Pinto go faster" question comes up a lot. Mark: do you fancy putting an article on carbuilders.info about Pinto tuning?

I could do a bit but it would mainly be references to other peoples work who know a lot more about it than me

Cheers

Mark

TangoMan

posted on 12/7/06 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
The 2.0 has a better cam and larger valves, but also larger chambers so no good for the 1.6.

Is it possible to use 2.0 valves in a 1.6 head as this would give a good improvement if coupled with a 2.0 or performance cam.

fully sideways

posted on 13/7/06 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, yes it is possible to use 2.0 valves in a 1.6 head, they will just need the valve seats cutting ..
match with a 2.0 or aftermarket cam and i bit more compression you should be ok..

or if you are crafty you can build a 2.0 into a 1.6 block ...!

What Carb are you using ?
Vernier cam ?

Hope this helps

Andrew

Is throttle wide open ?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.