Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Donkervoort "look" and stance
Alfalfameister

posted on 14/7/06 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Donkervoort "look" and stance

I'm not sure if this belongs to the chassis forum, but it's worth a try:

I really like the Donkervoort look. It has an aggressive looking stance.

How does it achieve that look? I tried looking at some pics, but I'm not seeing it.

Is it lower than a regular book chassis? I know it's a bit wider, but I've seen a wider car (Luego), and it still didn't have that aggressive look.

Or is it just the bodywork that makes the difference?

I'm not sure, but the Lotus/Locost looks like it narrows more from the body towards the nosecone (vis-a-vis the Donkervoort), whereas the Donkervoort keeps it rather straight(er).

If that is correct (more straight rather narrowing towards the nosecone), is there a reason why the standard book and original Lotus narrow towards the front (functionally speaking)? Or was the narrowing/tapering more an aesthetic reason?

[Edited on 14/7/06 by Alfalfameister]

AdamR

posted on 14/7/06 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
The tapered front is more to do with providing room for the suspension than anything else.

I think it's probably the bodywork that makes the Donkervoort stand out from the crowd.

[Edited on 14/7/06 by AdamR]

kreb

posted on 14/7/06 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Please post a pic of the Donkevoort you mean. There's a bunch of models, and some look very average.

That said, wide and low always looks tough. Throw wide tires on anything and it looks more menacing.

https://www.supercars.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/1966_FiatAbarth_1000SP1.jpg

t.j.

posted on 28/7/06 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kreb
Please post a pic of the Donkevoort you mean. There's a bunch of models, and some look very average.

That said, wide and low always looks tough. Throw wide tires on anything and it looks more menacing.

I think he ment this one:

d8
d8

One thing for sure: It is expensive.

De Nose-cone is different, the drivers-compartment is wider. the rear track is wider about 147 cm front about 140 cm. Max. wide is 173 at the rear. Has a Audi-engine. The windscreen is not flat. etc. etc

And it is above my budget....

[Edited on 28/7/06 by t.j.]

leto

posted on 30/7/06 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
Mainly, the Donkervoort uses much taler wheels than a locost. The top of the front wings are almost as high as the nosecone. The locost chassis is designed for 13” wheels, using taller wheels will give you a SUV-class ground clearance or some trouble with the front suspension. From what I can see in pictures, the Donkervoort uses uprights with a high wheel center. If you want to use tall wheels I recommend you to use a redesigned chassis.
The body is designed to look long and low with short cockpit and a rounded bonnet. The rear wings are rather narrow and the shoulders are leaning slightly to make them cover more of the body. Too wide rear wings will make a se7en look flat IMHO. The sides of the windscreen are leaning inwards an the roll bar is low.

Cheers!

[Edited on 06-7-30 by leto]

“I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round”. (J. Cash)

kreb

posted on 30/7/06 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Pardon my ignorance here, but how will taller wheels affect the chasis and suspension beyond greater unsprung weight, higher cg, and even worse aerodynamics? You're making it sound as though the geometry's going to be buggered up.

https://www.supercars.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/1966_FiatAbarth_1000SP1.jpg

Dale

posted on 30/7/06 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Using taller whees or centers would change your camber reaction or wheel geometry. It would cause your lower arms to point upwards which if not compensated in the design will cause unwanted reactions. Mine point somwhat up but that area has been set as the sweetspot for both camber change and bump steer. Rasiing the lower brackets up would help but the uppers would have to adjusted as well to maintain the proper geometry.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

Deckman001

posted on 30/7/06 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
I'd guess it was a lot to do with the size and rake of the windscreen

Jason

leto

posted on 30/7/06 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Just want to specify what Dale say a little
Wheel size will directly affect scrub radius and trail, taler wheels often makes them better. If you lower the body to compensate the taler wheels some suspension parameters, like virtual swing arm and camber change at roll, will change to the worse, at least on a locost. The changes are not big but the car will have some less grip. Limitations of suspension travel in shocks and joints might also be a problem. And of course there's the drawbacks that kerb mention.

“I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round”. (J. Cash)

cita2

posted on 30/7/06 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
The nose cone is longer and deeper at the front.The double grill makes it even look deeper and more agressive.
The curved windscreen and wide rear wings make it complete.
Replace the windscreen with a square locost one and a "regular" nosecone and the Donkervoort looks more like a Locost than you should think

[Edited on 30/7/06 by cita2]

kreb

posted on 31/7/06 at 12:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Using taller whees or centers would change your camber reaction or wheel geometry. It would cause your lower arms to point upwards which if not compensated in the design will cause unwanted reactions. Mine point somwhat up but that area has been set as the sweetspot for both camber change and bump steer. Rasiing the lower brackets up would help but the uppers would have to adjusted as well to maintain the proper geometry.

I can see how force is applied somewhat differently when cornering or going over a bump, but at rest, your lower A arm is going to be the same angle whether your tires are 10" or 10 foot. Yes?

TheGecko

posted on 31/7/06 at 03:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I can see how force is applied somewhat differently when cornering or going over a bump, but at rest, your lower A arm is going to be the same angle whether your tires are 10" or 10 foot. Yes?

Not neccesarily. A 13" wheel with say a 185/60 tyre on it has an overall diameter of 552mm (~21.75" ). A 15" wheel with 195/55 tyre (what I'm using) is 596mm (~23.5" ). That difference in diameter means that the axle line and hence the upright and balljoints all sit 20-25mm higher - the equivalent of lowering the car 20-25mm. So either you raise the car by an inch or accept that you've "used up" an inch of suspension travel or you change the suspension layout to allow for the fact. My middy-clubman uses Holden Gemini (Chevette) uprights which have the ball joints about 30mm higher, relative to the axle line, than a Cortina. Add that to the larger rolling diameter and I have a front suspension layout that's no longer much at all like a Locost.

Does that make it any clearer or just muddy the waters more?

Dominic

Lippoman

posted on 31/7/06 at 05:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Only if you go for a 5'1" higher ground clearance with the taller tires...

Alfalfameister

posted on 3/8/06 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snoopy
i think its the wider track and nosecone that does it heres a mk indy with a donker nosecone looks pretty mean wouldnt you agree

I agree!

locostv8

posted on 3/8/06 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheGecko
quote:

Not neccesarily. A 13" wheel with say a 185/60 tyre on it has an overall diameter of 552mm (~21.75" ). A 15" wheel with 195/55 tyre (what I'm using) is 596mm (~23.5" ). That difference in diameter means that the axle line and hence the upright and balljoints all sit 20-25mm higher - the equivalent of lowering the car 20-25mm. So either you raise the car by an inch or accept that you've "used up" an inch of suspension travel or you change the suspension layout to allow for the fact. My middy-clubman uses Holden Gemini (Chevette) uprights which have the ball joints about 30mm higher, relative to the axle line, than a Cortina. Add that to the larger rolling diameter and I have a front suspension layout that's no longer much at all like a Locost.

Does that make it any clearer or just muddy the waters more?

Dominic

Or you properly locate your suspension pickup points depending on the tire/wheel used.

What the larger diameter tire will give you is a larger contact patch (better traction).

[Edited on 3/8/06 by locostv8]

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/gallery2/v/7slotgrille/hssss/

DIY Si

posted on 3/8/06 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

What the larger diameter tire will give you is a larger contact patch

Oh no it won't. What it will do is change the shape of the contact patch. The size is the same regardless of tyre/wheel choice. It's the shape that alters. It can vary from a long thin shape with skinny wheels to short and wide with wide wheels. Ideally, I think, yu want the contact patch to be slightly longer than it is wide. This should give the best compromise between lateral and longditudinal grip.

locostv8

posted on 3/8/06 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
quote:

What the larger diameter tire will give you is a larger contact patch

Oh no it won't. What it will do is change the shape of the contact patch. The size is the same regardless of tyre/wheel choice. It's the shape that alters. It can vary from a long thin shape with skinny wheels to short and wide with wide wheels. Ideally, I think, yu want the contact patch to be slightly longer than it is wide. This should give the best compromise between lateral and longditudinal grip.

OH yes it will. Note I said larger diameter TIRE/TYRE. A difference in rim diameter will have minimal effect on contact patch but tire diameter will have an effect on contact patch.

The rear tires I'm using on my Locost are 315 35 17 which have a tread width of 12.5 and a diameter of 26". Compare that to a 195 60 15 with a tread width of 6.2" and a diameter of 24.2. I guarantee at the same air pressure and appropriate sized rims thet the 315 will have over twice the contact patch.

[Edited on 3/8/06 by locostv8]

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/gallery2/v/7slotgrille/hssss/

rocket

posted on 6/8/06 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
umm

I think you guy's mean to argue over the width of the tyre no dia.

Anyhow I've done some research into this one as I too like the donk. Also the dax rush and Dax's bike engined lightweight version.

Critical factors are size of wheel As I see it the "beefy" looking cars have the top of the wheel level with the bonnet and a wider track ( or smaller nose) Also ( I have my own expression for this) Is the "frog" eyed" look. This is the place where the Lights are mounted and to some extent the size.

The "bad" or in my eyes less desirable look is big light mounted high up big ground clearance with wishbones pointing down and tall bonnets also fat noses and short wishbones I'l show you some pics see if you guys agree. Rescued attachment kawasaki_2a.jpg
Rescued attachment kawasaki_2a.jpg

rocket

posted on 6/8/06 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
and this one

I'd say good looking Rescued attachment 1.jpg
Rescued attachment 1.jpg

rocket

posted on 6/8/06 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Beef

I do like this caterham I think because if the lights

Rgds

Roger

rocket

posted on 6/8/06 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
beef

A bad un!!!

Fat bonnet short wishbones and lights too high.

Rgds

Roger Rescued attachment viento1.jpg
Rescued attachment viento1.jpg

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.